Analysis Who's the next coach, then?

Remove this Banner Ad

As you said we have 2 years of Scott, and highly doubtful we see a payout of 2 years under the current circumstances

One key change that should have happened a couple of years ago though is a change in the assistant coaching ranks:

Rahilly: VFL assistant coach 2008/09, assistant coach 2010 -> 2015, forward coach 2016, & not sure he's current role

Lappin: assistance coach since 2009

Knights: VFL coach 2012 -> 2014, midfield coach since 2015

O'Bree: assistance coach 2013/14, development coach 2015 & VFL coach since 2016

Scarlett: development coach in 2015, backline coach since 2016

Enright: development coach 2017, forward line coach since about 2017/2018 I believe.

Grigg: development coach since 2020

So we have 2 assistant coaches who have been at the club longer than Scott, and another 2 who joined within 2 years of Scott - so 4 long term assistant coaches, who every couple of years take on a new role within the coaching ranks but not really providing a new voice

Scarlett went elsewhere for his apprenticeship before returning to Geelong, and while I love seeing our strong defensive unit - we haven't really developed any attacking defenders or drive from the backline under him

Enright is a club legend but not sold on his immediate appointment to the coaching ranks. He turned 39 last month, and when you consider he was drafted in 1999 it means he's spent over half his life (or basically all his adult life) at the football club. It's not about not having former (club) players in the coaching ranks, but asking if there's benefit to them spending time elsewhere & experiencing time/life at a different club, and if there's a different perspective they can then bring

Feels like we've had very minimal changes in our assistant coaching ranks over recent years - since Scott is likely here for another 2 years, why not have a clean out of our assistant ranks, get some fresh faces, blood & ideas in that way and see we can rejuvenate things that way
Yep, most of those guys have to go, IMO. Even if Scott stays as senior coach, we need fresh voices in the coach's box.

Last edited:

Keep Scott there until Scarlo is ready. Can’t afford to pay him out but he’s cooked and will not win us a flag as he still hasn’t figured out how to get players up for the big games. Don’t like any of the external candidates apart from Hodge who still isn’t ready

I’d want a players’ coach. The likeable coach that the players want to play for. The bomber style.

By all reports Scott is a delegation coach. Rarely speaks to players. Bar danger and Selwood. Bomber was a mentor to the group, developed the players to play for one another.

The guy I can see to be this coach is Stevie J or Hodge.

I think Scott would be a great football director, in the Balme role.

But it is evidently clear, the players DO NOT play for Scott. They did play for bomber.

Michael Voss. i was at the game last night and it is true the Port players were emotionally up and there for each other- see how they reacted when Marshall kicked that goal. Our players were not celebrating, were really ‘business like’. This can be pitched as professional but it is not enough to win big games. Scott Denying our curent record under him is also spin - he must know it’s an unacceptable record. Voss has seen it all and learned from it. He is the senior assistant at Port. He is ready. Any trolls going with the crazy Voss stuff are 5 years out of date. either Hodge or Stevie J as next in line if we can’t afford to sack Scott due to his extended contract would be a good move.

Scarlett continues to persist in playing Henry and Kolo on opposition small forwards so that rules him out for me.

Hodge has zero coaching experience so a no there as well.

Adam Simpson would be my number 1 target and Ken Hinkley number 2.

Of the untried senior coaches, Sam Mitchell would be my top preference but don't know how long he has to wait for Clarko to step aside. Might get sick of waiting.

Michael Voss. i was at the game last night and it is true the Port players were emotionally up and there for each other- see how they reacted when Marshall kicked that goal. Our players were not celebrating, were really ‘business like’. This can be pitched as professional but it is not enough to win big games. Scott Denying our curent record under him is also spin - he must know it’s an unacceptable record. Voss has seen it all and learned from it. He is the senior assistant at Port. He is ready. Any trolls going with the crazy Voss stuff are 5 years out of date. either Hodge or Stevie J as next in line if we can’t afford to sack Scott due to his extended contract would be a good move.

Too much Brisbane influence.
Lappin, Scott, O'Bree, Voss . . .

Need a different mindset in my opinion.

I’d want a players’ coach. The likeable coach that the players want to play for. The bomber style.

By all reports Scott is a delegation coach. Rarely speaks to players. Bar danger and Selwood. Bomber was a mentor to the group, developed the players to play for one another.

But it is evidently clear, the players DO NOT play for Scott. They did play for bomber.

Yep I've heard that too.

I'm not sure why he can't just become more personable.

Yep I've heard that too.

I'm not sure why he can't just become more personable.

Didn't he berate a supporter at a club event one day during the preseason as the supporter questioned his coaching and Geelong fans applauded Scott?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was reading about Voss at Port the other day too. He'd be high on my list, but I think Geelong should have a real crack at Sam Mitchell, initially as midfield coach but with a view to the longer term.

I also absolutely agree that we need an actual forward to coach... our forwards.

Hadn't heard that before, but if its true that's interesting... Though I am highly sceptical and it would be ignorant to think he doesn't have good relations with more of the group.

A lot goes on behind closed doors, from memory he does have his favourites, Guthrie and Blicavs are in that mix.

Hadn't heard that before, but if its true that's interesting... Though I am highly sceptical and it would be ignorant to think he doesn't have good relations with more of the group.

A lot goes on behind closed doors, from memory he does have his favourites, Guthrie and Blicavs are in that mix.

Stewart's dad told me at a game once. He is liked but he doesn't talk to the players were his exact words. This was two years ago now.

Very odd.

Looking at potential assistant coaches, I'd love Stevie J back (although he seems very settled in Sydney with his family and just signed with GWS, unfortunate for us but glad he's going well) but I think we could have a fair crack at bringing in Luke Hodge, provided he's interested in moving into coaching rather than the media and willing to move back to Victoria

In regards to other possibilities, I'm not across all the assistant coaches at other clubs but I'd be looking at those who are experienced in their role but a couple of years away from stepping up into senior positions and can come to Geelong and have a positive impact almost immediately

After 2022 Selwood, Danger, Hawkins will all be finishing up so that will end an era then you can tear it all up list and coaches.

I've looked through the list of available coaches doing the accreditation and nothing stands out right now. Perhaps Geelongs next coach is not even in the pathway right now.

The only name if I could swing and get him right now to sign up as coach for 2023 is Blake Caracella. Been with us for 7 seasons before obviously but has been around at Richmond for a different look and had success. He would be my no.1 candidate now but let's be honest two years from now we have no idea on availability etc

Seems to be something in that. Scott moved him on and I don't think that he has been back to the club. Bartel may feel the same way, not so much that Scott did it but as much the way that he did it. Would love Stevie J but think yes he is settled in Sydney, then again did we approach him. No, no, no, no to Ross Lyon he is just an older version of Scott. In fact where di Scott learn his coaching?????
At the moment Ken Hinkley might be the go!
Scott was an assistant at Freo when Harvey was senior coach. Lyon wasn’t there yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back