QAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Noosa to Palm Beach would be a fair hike, well over 200km. I wonder where the distance limit is for a state comp. Tasmania barely make it work with two cities 200km apart.
They've done it before in Pineapple Cup. But there are 4 trips each year for them in a full season making it a strain on volunteers. Not even sure playing half way makes much difference.

They've done it before in Pineapple Cup. But there are 4 trips each year for them in a full season making it a strain on volunteers. Not even sure playing half way makes much difference.
They used to have to make trips to Coolangatta, Palm Beach, Surfers Paradise and Burleigh in the PHC so it wouldn’t make that much of a difference compared to back in those days, if anything it’s shorter trips than it was back then considering Labrador and Broadbeach are closer than Coolangatta and Burleigh are. But agree in the way that doing those trips 4 times a year can take a strain, joining QAFL though does bring back that big Rivalry with Maroochydore that they didn’t have this year. Noosa are a club that have incredible volunteers and always have a big following on away games so I would imagine it shouldn’t be too much of a problem for them.

Fair point that the PHC has long trips too. I wonder, would there be more volunteers if we went back to regional leagues rather than a combined QFA?

If Beau Zorko had that team he would not have done any worse. There sure was plenty of swagger during the season from the Broadbeach Sharks

IT was good for Redland to have their first win over Southport in a number of years in the QAFL GF, couple of Aspley lads helped - haha

Morningside had great talent on the field and the best of them all in Payne was the difference, he had no previous affiliation with Morningside but went there as he obviously saw them as the best chance of winning a premiership. Good on him and Morningside I reckon, a great club and deserved their win.

Payne's old man played there, so he had plenty of affiliation. As I understand it, only 2 clubs rang him. Grange and Morningside, which is amazing in itself. Apparently had no interest in playing at Grange and neither of the other 2 Brisbane QAFL clubs even rang him (likely because both those clubs had nothing to offer as they both didn't pay any players in 2020)

So Payney ending up at Morningside wasn't that surprising given his choices were there or Grange.

Clay Cameron will stay if he gets the same coin he had this year at broady

If Broady can afford it after the giant fine for breaching the cap?

Southport in VFL

Redlands and Aspley in QAFL and if Noosa came in as they should it would be a very healthy state league.

Reliable sources suggest Aspley and Southport have both applied to VFL, Redlands haven't. Heaps of water to go under bridge to close the divide between Redlands and Vic Point too before they work out what they are doing, still very much 2 different clubs despite what folks think.

Does anyone know how large this fine was that broady received for salary cap breaches? I heard talk of it during the season but wasnt sure if true or not

Fair point that the PHC has long trips too. I wonder, would there be more volunteers if we went back to regional leagues rather than a combined QFA?
Yes jb I reckon you would get heaps more volunteers if only regional.But just no where near the competition.Maybe one day with Kawana juniors continiuing to build,Coolum the same,two teams from both Noosa(Noosa tigers/Noosa United) and maroochy(maroochy Roos/maroochy,Caloundra,Gympie/Pomona and Nambour but a long way off.
Imperials)

IT was good for Redland to have their first win over Southport in a number of years in the QAFL GF, couple of Aspley lads helped - haha

Payne's old man played there, so he had plenty of affiliation. As I understand it, only 2 clubs rang him. Grange and Morningside, which is amazing in itself. Apparently had no interest in playing at Grange and neither of the other 2 Brisbane QAFL clubs even rang him (likely because both those clubs had nothing to offer as they both didn't pay any players in 2020)

So Payney ending up at Morningside wasn't that surprising given his choices were there or Grange.

If Broady can afford it after the giant fine for breaching the cap?

Reliable sources suggest Aspley and Southport have both applied to VFL, Redlands haven't. Heaps of water to go under bridge to close the divide between Redlands and Vic Point too before they work out what they are doing, still very much 2 different clubs despite what folks think.

Think u will find Payne talked to both sunshjne coast clubs. Couldn’t commit to 2021 so Roos said no.

Think u will find Payne talked to both sunshjne coast clubs. Couldn’t commit to 2021 so Roos said no.

yes, sorry - referred to Brisbane clubs. He's been rumoured to have signed with the Roos a few times in recent years and it never eventuated.

I know several clubs wanted committments for 2021 to take a NEAFL player, not a bad strategy - but it cost them for season 2020*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They used to have to make trips to Coolangatta, Palm Beach, Surfers Paradise and Burleigh in the PHC so it wouldn’t make that much of a difference compared to back in those days, if anything it’s shorter trips than it was back then considering Labrador and Broadbeach are closer than Coolangatta and Burleigh are. But agree in the way that doing those trips 4 times a year can take a strain, joining QAFL though does bring back that big Rivalry with Maroochydore that they didn’t have this year. Noosa are a club that have incredible volunteers and always have a big following on away games so I would imagine it shouldn’t be too much of a problem for them.
Much easier drive than it once was. Getting to Labrador takes not much more than getting to Mayne sometimes!

Just seen AFLQ statement saying there is an investigation.

someone should have an investigation into why there was an investigation.

Email to clubs today was clear that Cats not over the cap and have been charged with minor admin/lodgement breaches (like late lodgement of a Covid adjusted contract for a guy that played one match). The sort of stuff you would find at every club if you look hard enough.

Club declared every beer and pizza voucher given as awards and still way under.

At the end of Covid lockdown, clubs had no money as no events/sports lunches allowed, sponsors were hit by Covid and it was unclear if spectators would be allowed at games until just before RD 1.

There was a real prospect of virtually no income for the year. Therefore the decision by all clubs to either go amateur or pay token amounts. Cats no different.

Email to clubs today was clear that Cats not over the cap and have been charged with minor admin/lodgement breaches (like late lodgement of a Covid adjusted contract for a guy that played one match). The sort of stuff you would find at every club if you look hard enough.

At the end of Covid lockdown, clubs had no money as no events/sports lunches allowed, sponsors were hit by Covid and it was unclear if spectators would be allowed at games until just before RD 1.

There was a real prospect of virtually no income for the year. Therefore the decision by all clubs to either go amateur or pay token amounts. Cats no different.
You're correct with that it states that there is no alleged player payment issue. It does state however that player points cap is in question. Not sure of any of the details but as I understand Morningside were fined last year (2019) reportedly $3k for a breach of points when a player was injured in the warm up and another player from within the 4 emergencies came in but had higher points allocated and that took them over the team points.
PreCOVID AFLQ made it very clear that they had set a precedent & no "whoopies" would be considered. So either (again I state I have no idea of the details) it will be no case to answer, or there is a fine coming. I believe that Broady have a right of reply on 7th??

How would you know who we did and didnt ring?

Payne obviously a gun, but at 36 and unlikely to commit beyond this year, he wasnt a player of interest for us to get in just for a 10 game cameo.

The two teams competing in the GF were very good sides and also the teams who took on the most external players that weren't on their list when COVID hit, so it's probably not surprising they played off in the Grand Final.

With NEAFL now cancelled, the ability to retain some of those players becomes possibly more likely and that short term success strategy could pay off with both a premiership and a strong 2021 list, clubs that chose to stick largely with their own may rue that decision. Only time will tell.

Cannot believe that AFLQ investigated the Cats in a short compromised season and did nothing to the sharks who so blatantly have rorted the cap in seasons past. A joke really.
Mud sticks though and the Cats have definitely started to spend some money over the last few seasons - a shift from previous philosophies- I think more innocently - players gravitate to where they thought success might come - agree the finalists reflected this.
There was definitely a Sharkies feel to the Cats this season
hope they hang onto some of these new players though - a higher level comp going fwd will be great.

The Sharks in the NEAFL weren't in their jurisdiction....NEAFL is run by AFL not AFLQ

Statement to me doesn't clear them at all, just says there is no evidence in their paperwork, but plenty of alleged breaches.

Absolutely no noubt Hodgey is playing for nothing. He is the biggest star to ever play in the QAFL imo and its fantastic. His son has played at the Panthers for several years and was very good for Met East last year and obviously has some good genes!

Payne is a 4 time NEAFL MVP player and 2 time Grogan medallist, so a fairly handy acquisition who doesn't just play for a can of coke and potato gems. Played at Aspley and Southport, originally from Victoria. Also a fantastic acquisition, but I question the value given he would be on decent match payments, is now about 35ish and is simply taking the spot of a young kid for 8 weeks before heading home to Aspley.

I just find it strange we're all being asked to pitch in, then we sign a big money player.

He actually did play for the coke and gems you spoke about above!

Miller just assumes guys are on big coin-doesn’t make it true.

Reality is that everyone was just stoked that we got a season when it looked like there was no chance in March/April. No club had any cash.

Payne has been well paid over the years as an elite local footballer but in a shortened COVID year I’ve no doubt his motivations were just to get on the park and chase success. Great get by Morningside and I’m sure they didn’t sell the farm , well done dogwarna

so 2010Premier ,,
Miller just assumes guys are on big coin-doesn’t make it true.

Reality is that everyone was just stoked that we got a season when it looked like there was no chance in March/April. No club had any cash.

Payne has been well paid over the years as an elite local footballer but in a shortened COVID year I’ve no doubt his motivations were just to get on the park and chase success. Great get by Morningside and I’m sure they didn’t sell the farm , well done dogwarna
yes of cause .. agree ,,and I know Morningside didnt pay big bucks per game for him,, as was this season that stuff dids not happen as far as im aware ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back