Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Still a project player. Absolutely worth persisting with, but has a tendency to lack urgency. Can’t play next week.
Yup, and that project is on the scale of perpetual motion. Last night he was beyond insipid. The only way he got near the ball in the first 3 quarters was to get in Jack's way, he fumbled everytime the pill got close and he lacked any sort of fight or presence. He is just a decent VFL player that can have 3 second highlights in the AFL.

Time to cut our loses and sell up shop with him.

riewoldt4aa2011

Senior List
Aug 16, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Harris Andrews was able to come into every contest and spoil the ball 20 metres over the boundary, gave our smalls no supply.

Jack was 2v1 all night and scored a respectable 2.2, Andrews was able to get free from Chol and influence the Riewoldt contest.

Andrews was seen alone on the wing, 50 metres of space, able to begin their defensive rebound.

Chol absolutely did nothing last night, like the Adelaide game. He did absolutely nothing.

He needs to disappear.

Also - Let's give credit where its due, Nankveris had an even worse game. He even delivered them a goal on a silver platter. He was absolutely demolished yesterday, 7 clangers and embarrassed. He shluld be ashamed of his performance too.
I think the Nank criticism is a little in warranted,wasn't his best game sure,but battled hard,took some marks and we halved the clearances.Also was up against to pretty good ruckman basically by himself

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I know people might say 'that's not his go', but I would like to see him smash a few packs. OK, his future may be as a mobile, running tall - but tonight he has a job to do for the team.

Was never going to happen. Was it?

To be fair Jack and Lynch het monstered sometimes too. Especially when against 2 or 3

At the end of the day a disappointing yet expected outcome from Chol.

I am fithly at ccj (and stack). Richmond probably still lose but it could have been an important difference - break even in a few key contest instead of being pants and you never know

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Yup, and that project is on the scale of perpetual motion. Last night he was beyond insipid. The only way he got near the ball in the first 3 quarters was to get in Jack's way, he fumbled everytime the pill got close and he lacked any sort of fight or presence. He is just a decent VFL player that can have 3 second highlights in the AFL.

Time to cut our loses and sell up shop with him.
Not the first, won't be the last player to be inconsistent and go missing in a final early in their career. There is enough in his early season form to persist with him.

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Was never going to happen. Was it?

To be fair Jack and Lynch het monstered sometimes too. Especially when against 2 or 3

At the end of the day a disappointing yet expected outcome from Chol.

I am fithly at ccj (and stack). Richmond probably still lose but it could have been an important difference - break even in a few key contest instead of being pants and you never know

Great post . CCJ what a let down that issue has become .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Big Unit 30

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🐅⏰
May 3, 2015
Playboy Mansion
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Cubs Blackhawks Fulham Ivanhoe FC
As a footballer you can’t choose your height or talent level ... but you can be judged on your intent and willingness to compete.
You cannot play timid footballers with no appetite for a contest at this level, and particularly in a final.
That was horrendous

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
As a footballer you can’t choose your height or talent level ... but you can be judged on your intent and willingness to compete.
You cannot play timid footballers with no appetite for a contest at this level, and particularly in a final.
That was horrendous
Even CCJ had more appetite for the contest than Cholly in attacking a souvlaki...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Agreed it’s time to explore other options this year he’s horribly out of form.

But let’s not forget what he produced earlier in the season this guy has upside.

He’s never going to be your 2kpf. More your 3rd tall who can exploit a smaller opponent.

I don’t mind having this type of player on the list. Ok has his deficiencies but with 42 spots, a guy with his unique skill set is worth keeping.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Just checked on the ruck hit outs for the game and Chol had 9 to Nanks 11 having spend about 30% of the game in the ruck max. So although there is deserved criticism, his ruckwork was pretty good, as I mentioned in an earlier post. He has hang time like Ryder, who fed Saints midfield all night. Not ready to toss on the scrap heap just yet.

Hamsatma

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Agreed it’s time to explore other options this year he’s horribly out of form.

But let’s not forget what he produced earlier in the season this guy has upside.

He’s never going to be your 2kpf. More your 3rd tall who can exploit a smaller opponent.

I don’t mind having this type of player on the list. Ok has his deficiencies but with 42 spots, a guy with his unique skill set is worth keeping.
Just checked on the ruck hit outs for the game and Chol had 9 to Nanks 11 having spend about 30% of the game in the ruck max. So although there is deserved criticism, his ruckwork was pretty good, as I mentioned in an earlier post. He has hang time like Ryder, who fed Saints midfield all night. Not ready to toss on the scrap heap just yet.
Thanks for some perspective. Sure drop him for next week but don't forget there are about 18 blokes on our list who weren't selected for that final and won't be close for next week. He's young and has shown marked improvement this year. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater boggles the mind

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks for some perspective. Sure drop him for next week but don't forget there are about 18 blokes on our list who weren't selected for that final and won't be close for next week. He's young and has shown marked improvement this year. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater boggles the mind
I'm not for dropping him even. He was better this week than last and provided good ruck relief rather than a MacIntosh or whoever providing none. His tap work was better than Nank's so that is something. I can't see an alternative unless they forgo the ruck and play Caddy in Chol's role which I am 50-50 on. I was critical last week for being so timid, but Harris Andrews is easily the best tall back in the league so expecting Chol to perform as a forward was a bit unrealistic, and he was nowhere near as inept as his first half last week in particular.

Big Unit 30

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🐅⏰
May 3, 2015
Playboy Mansion
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I’m not basing any opinion on one game. I’ve seen enough to draw a conclusion.
Being tall and having a lovely kicking action isnt enough to be gifted a game when the effort attack and desire to contest and compete wasn’t apparent whatsoever.
I see the reasoning to play another tall, but that reasoning was an epic fail and not just this game alone. The guys a passenger.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Being tall and having a lovely kicking action isnt enough to be gifted a game when the effort attack and desire to contest and compete wasn’t apparent whatsoever.
I see the reasoning to play another tall, but that reasoning was an epic fail and not just this game alone. The guys a passenger.
Agree he is short of the mark but given he was reasonable in the ruck, what are our alternatives. Do you think Nank can go it alone?

Still a project player. Absolutely worth persisting with, but has a tendency to lack urgency. Can’t play next week.

First drafted Nov 2015, so he's been in the system almost 5 years.

That's some project.

I wouldn't mind so much if he'd been doing the basics and got beaten, but he just seemed lost. No attack on the ball, didn't present, didn't provide any kind of option, didn't contest, and just let his opponent do as he wanted.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers

That's some project.

I wouldn't mind so much if he'd been doing the basics and got beaten, but he just seemed lost. No attack on the ball, didn't present, didn't provide any kind of option, didn't contest, and just let his opponent do as he wanted.
He's only 23, it's pretty constant across the board that big men take longer. No doubt his intensity hasn't been good enough in his last two games. That's no reason to give up on him.

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league

100% rather a kid from the wafl,sanfl etc or draft one.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond

That's some project.

Because he is not and never will be a tall forward. You have to be special to play that position. He is a ruckman first and foremost, and when you are lightly built it takes time. Has come on well this year but the pointy end of the season and the pressure of finals football has caught him out. But he rucked better than people here have given him credit for, so at least that was an improvement. He is backup that has been forced to play because of injuries, he is very much still learning but has such incredible athleticism he is worth persevering for one more year.

Big Unit 30

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🐅⏰
May 3, 2015
Playboy Mansion
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Agree he is short of the mark but given he was reasonable in the ruck, what are our alternatives. Do you think Nank can go it alone?
If the alternative is what has been offered so far then yes.
Caddy Broad and Ross are missing out who offer so much more except height and SFA else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back