Autopsy Jesse Hogan - Worth 220 Points

Remove this Banner Ad

Good grief we have some pious moralisers on our board
I’m not a Jesse hater I think you’ll find I’ve defended him on here plenty of times over the past 18 months.

I don’t disagree that the quarantine breach is a fairly minor event but like I said it just builds the picture of him being unable to follow simple instructions on how to conduct himself. It’s disrespectful to his teammates who do follow the rules.

Let me ask you if you were Bell or Longmuir would you have a lot of trust in Jesse to behave when your back is turned? That’s what I’m getting at. I want Jesse in the team but I’m worried the club soon won’t.

I’m not a Jesse hater I think you’ll find I’ve defended him on here plenty of times over the past 18 months.

I don’t disagree that the quarantine breach is a fairly minor event but like I said it just builds the picture of him being unable to follow simple instructions on how to conduct himself. It’s disrespectful to his teammates who do follow the rules.

Let me ask you if you were Bell or Longmuir would you have a lot of trust in Jesse to behave when your back is turned? That’s what I’m getting at. I want Jesse in the team but I’m worried the club soon won’t.
Agree with this and also agree with every word Duffield wrote too. He’s a fair analyst and it’s not a beat up. To me it seems Hogan’s mindset is a million miles from being a premiership player. That’s what we are after. To think we swapped Neale for this - a guy who just oozes leadership and good culture and continuous improvement and a desperation for team success, all the traits you see in the players that end up picking up brownlows and norm smith medals. Hogan has never displayed any of those characteristics on a consistent basis. The chances of him having a successful career here or elsewhere are very low. Big call coming up for our list managers this off season.

Agree with this and also agree with every word Duffield wrote too. He’s a fair analyst and it’s not a beat up. To me it seems Hogan’s mindset is a million miles from being a premiership player. That’s what we are after. To think we swapped Neale for this - a guy who just oozes leadership and good culture and continuous improvement and a desperation for team success, all the traits you see in the players that end up picking up brownlows and norm smith medals. Hogan has never displayed any of those characteristics on a consistent basis. The chances of him having a successful career here or elsewhere are very low. Big call coming up for our list managers this off season.

You make it sound like we chose to lose Neale

25-year-old man has sex with girlfriend.

Yep - lets hang him.
That's not what this is about.

He was required by WA law to complete a quarantine. His employer made sure he knew the law and what their own requirements were of him as an employee.

And poor little Jesse couldn't be arsed.

Lots of people have been sacked for way less.

You make it sound like we chose to lose Neale
I know we didn’t chose to lose Neale. But by all accounts he looked around him in late 2018 and saw our club constantly pandering to the likes of Bennell, McCarthy and Kersten with their bad attitudes and unprofessionalism and it played into his decision to leave.
The one thing I take comfort from is that I trust Longmuir. He is here to win things. Along with Bell, He got rid of Carter and Mccarthy pretty ruthlessly. He’s already set the template for the kind of culture we want to foster at the club. Professionalism, continuous improvement, players constantly looking for an edge to better themselves. Devoting their lives to success at AFL level, both on and off the field. If Hogan doesn’t want to buy into that he can get lost. We don’t need him.

That's not what this is about.

He was required by WA law to complete a quarantine. His employer made sure he knew the law and what their own requirements were of him as an employee.

And poor little Jesse couldn't be arsed.

Lots of people have been sacked for way less.
That is partly true and I certainly don't disagree with your point, but I suspect the faux outrage is more about the need for people to join a pile on. Not sure why our own supporters would join in, but I'd hazard a guess that some of them have been death-riding Jesse previously and see this as a 'win'. It's childish really.

This is also about a stupid decision made by a man in his 20s to not follow a ridiculous rule. A rule, I might add, which ignored the fact that both where Hogan came from, where the lady resides and where they met are all COVID free and the chances of spreading the disease are as high as you and I meeting for a coffee.

I agree that Duffield’s article wasn’t a beat up. I do believe that there has been an over reaction by many.

I think another talk like the Bennell one at the end of 2018 would be in order. He has a contract but he needs discipline and to follow order. The quarantine rule and many of the non-negotiable border rules in WA are stupid. But a rule albeit stupid is a rule that he needed to follow.

He will cop a club enforced sanction and fine. Thin ice as has been mentioned is spot on. But we don’t need to toss him away like a fire sale. We took him on for 3 years knowing he had issues - mental health, off field discipline and injury. Has he been that bad so far? No he hasn’t. This was a mistake and put him back given the potential progress made at the back end of season 2020. Fingers crossed he stays on course but he is indeed on thin ice.

That is partly true and I certainly don't disagree with your point, but I suspect the faux outrage is more about the need for people to join a pile on. Not sure why our own supporters would join in, but I'd hazard a guess that some of them have been death-riding Jesse previously and see this as a 'win'. It's childish really.

This is also about a stupid decision made by a man in his 20s to not follow a ridiculous rule. A rule, I might add, which ignored the fact that both where Hogan came from, where the lady resides and where they met are all COVID free and the chances of spreading the disease are as high as you and I meeting for a coffee.
I certainly wouldn’t call it a pile on if you’re referring to my comments. I firmly believe Jesse is in our best 22 but I genuinely fear he is about to run out of lives.

Does it not pi** anyone else off that we’ve re-signed Cox, Serong, Valente and Young this week yet Jesse is all over the newspaper instead?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I certainly wouldn’t call it a pile on if you’re referring to my comments. I firmly believe Jesse is in our best 22 but I genuinely fear he is about to run out of lives.

Does it not pi** anyone else off that we’ve re-signed Cox, Serong, Valente and Young this week yet Jesse is all over the newspaper instead?
He doesn't appear to be trying very hard.

Put it this way. October 9 2018 it was reported that Liam Ryan had in June, been up all night boozing, got into it with his (now) wife with some indications of a domestic dispute, got into his car at 6am, drove with an alcohol reading of .139, slammed into a tree and initially fled the scene. Just six days later police were called to a house he was staying at in Kalbarri at 3.20am where he was issued with a 72 hr police order and his (now) wife interviewed at the scene.

What was made of this?

“He knows he’s made a bit of a blue, which he has to deal with and we’ll help him out" Jeremy McGovern

Now, think about this. Replace the word "Liam Ryan" with "Jesse Hogan" and tell me the reaction to the story, and coverage, would have been the same.

Put it this way. October 9 2018 it was reported that Liam Ryan had in June, been up all night boozing, got into it with his (now) wife with some indications of a domestic dispute, got into his car at 6am, drove with an alcohol reading of .139, slammed into a tree and initially fled the scene. Just six days later police were called to a house he was staying at in Kalbarri at 3.20am where he was issued with a 72 hr police order and his (now) wife interviewed at the scene.

What was made of this?

“He knows he’s made a bit of a blue, which he has to deal with and we’ll help him out" Jeremy McGovern

Now, think about this. Replace the word "Liam Ryan" with "Jesse Hogan" and tell me the reaction to the story, and coverage, would have been the same.
Difference is Hogan now has a long list of mucking up. I don’t keep up with what Liam Ryan gets up to but was that an isolated incident?

There was a reason why Melbourne were keen to ship him off after years of trying to keep him. That article above basically says Fremantle have no idea if Jesse is going to stuff up this off season or not, is this incident is an indication of how serious Jesse is taking his off field problems? Fremantle have to decide if they want this guy influencing their young up and coming players.

What was made of this?

So because West Coast are a bunch of Teflon coated degenerates that excuses Jesse’s behaviour?

Liam seems to have pulled his head in since then and is output as a forward far exceeds what Jesse has contributed on-field to us.

Anyway I’m sick of talking about this. If you want to accept shi*ty standards and make excuses for him then so be it. Some might say that’s been our biggest problem for 25 years. We accept mediocrity. Clearly it’s ingrained now.

What was made of this?

No question Ryan was a flog in that instance. But he’s kept his nose out of trouble since then and won an AA. Jesse has had repeated incidents and issues and importantly done sweet f all on the park. The AFL world is an extremely forgiving place for transgressors if they can perform on the park. Jesse can’t even do that.

This place is full of holier than thou finger pointers.
Jesse kicks a bit of leather around for a living, he doesn't have to be a saint.
If he doesn't do the job he was employed for he will be replaced.

This place is full of holier than thou finger pointers.
Jesse kicks a bit of leather around for a living, he doesn't have to be a saint.
If he doesn't do the job he was employed for he will be replaced.
Heaven forbid anyone points their finger at Jesse. He came here to be our key forward and he’s kicked roughly 3 goals for every off field sh*tshow he’s been involved in.

No question Ryan was a flog in that instance. But he’s kept his nose out of trouble since then and won an AA. Jesse has had repeated incidents and issues and importantly done sweet f all on the park. The AFL world is an extremely forgiving place for transgressors if they can perform on the park. Jesse can’t even do that.
I guess what the OP said on this was that if Ryan was treated in the media the same way as Jesse or Shane Yarren was, would he be where he is now. It isn’t an isolated incident as far as domestic violence (a family member is in the right profession to know) but wouldn’t it be wonderful if we had the magical power to sweep this s**t under the carpet like other organisations can.

I guess what the OP said on this was that if Ryan was treated in the media the same way as Jesse or Shane Yarren was, would he be where he is now. It isn’t an isolated incident as far as domestic violence (a family member is in the right profession to know) but wouldn’t it be wonderful if we had the magical power to sweep this sh*t under the carpet like other organisations can.

The opposite should be the preference and every incident is reported as it is and without bias. You know, the truth. No more fake news or things swept under the carpet. That’d be great but sadly unrealistic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back