Autopsy Late fight back not enough as dogs Bow out of finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Just kicked behinds, rushed behinds aren't counted towards accuracy.

View attachment 976767

SH = Shots, GL = Goals, BH = Kicked Behinds, NS = No Score, SS = Scoring Shots, SS - % = Scoring Shot Accuracy, SH - % = Shot Accuracy
Thank you and thanks for posting the stats this year, it takes a lot of courage to post stats on this board. :thumbsu:

6 new faces is very interesting. The rest doesn’t surprise me, we just need to find a viable chop out from an existing position.

Why not Sweet?
Perfect year to have gotten couple of games into him.

Interesting snippets from the presser;

1. English 2 to 3 years away from his best.
2. Good follow up question, basically asking can the team wait that long, or does someone need to be brought in for the meantime. Bevo totally avoided the question. He did say though, those Ruckman who do want a change (probably meant Preust), said they wouldn’t want to come in as a No. 2, because that’s why they want to leave in the first place. Hard to not read English is the No 1 ruck we will persist with.
3. Said Round 1 team next year would have 6 different faces. That’s quite staggering actually. JUH came up as one of those.

Wow 6? Wonder who... I’d assume Vanders, JUH.. who else?

Now that its all over for us, I must say that I am extremely grateful for the football this year and for the sacrifice by the players who've spent the better part of 4 months away from home (not to say others aren't doing it far tougher). We've been up and down, frustrating and exciting, dreadful and world beaters, but it's honestly felt to me like a godsend just to have something to cheer on. We were never realistically winning the flag, but in a difficult year it was nice that we didn't give up on the season after a shocking start and fought it out until October. I really think the players and the club (and the rest of the league) deserve a huge amount of kudos for that.

Last edited:
Very strange to mention 6 changes.

Possible outs..

Bruce, Duryea, Cordy, Garnder, Lipinski, Richards, R. Smith, Wood

Possible ins...

Butler, Cavarra, Dale, Jong, JUH, Vandermeer, Weightman, West, La/Le Young (if still on list)

I'm a big rap for English but that was incredibly disappointing in how he allowed Ryder to be BOG.

There'll be massively different opinions on his value as he's such a unique and dynamic player, but putting that to the side for a second.

However we can't deny that the variance and difference between his best and worst this season is bizarre, and it's clearly a mental element to his game.

I feel that he's very much a overthinking/confidence type player. He comes up against a good ruck in the league, doesn't play as aggressively, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that he doesn't believe he can play well because he's up against the best rucks in the league, then gets pushed around at stoppages and allows himself to get beaten in the matchup before the matchup even begins.

He was physically imposing himself on players like Sinclair, Jacobs, Phillips, McInerney and even Darcy last game because these players are in the bottom tier of players getting games.. But they're not physically weaker in the contest than your Marshall, Ryder, Grundy types. It's just that English goes into his shell more against them.

In other words it's bizarre that 100kg had less of a physical impact than a 90kg Ryder.

If he can learn to play up - and not play down - to the tough on-paper matchup mentally, that's where the difference will be.

Last edited:

Possible outs..

Possible ins...

Butler, Cavarra, Dale, Jong, JUH, Vandermeer, Weightman, West, La/Le Young (if still on list)

Toby

Yes Macrae must hate reaching finals 2 years running. Seriously the teams that could afford the trade collateral for him are the likes of Crows, Essendon and North.

Why on earth would Macrae leave? Macrae seems like the least likely to leave he always signs contracts years in advance and has been out of contract during a season.

Possible outs..

Possible ins...

I took it that some of these 6 changes will come from outside the club. At least I sure hope he means that!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we’re not aggressive at the trade table this year I’ll pack it in. No draft picks to trade out because of JUH, but trade player, be creative. Don‘t just sit back and accept a meek 7th year on year. Get rid of a name player or two. Remove the players that aren’t taking us anywhere and identify trade targets and get them.

Don’t disagree, just trying to make the point Bruce can barely even make a contest either yet is given game after game
That's because he is paid alot and is contracted for 3 years. Unfortunately he did the same at the saints. W game in 3 or 4 he played well.

Hence why no one would come to the Dogs as Bev doesn’t value the Ryder/Marshall scenario and won’t play two rucks.
Yes that’s why I said the chop out needs to come from an existing position/player. It likely needs to be a genuine key forward/back type that has a genuine best 22 place in their primary non ruck position.

I think it’s more the devil you know that has me thinking Schache is a much better option than Bruce. Okay, he’s no contested beast but there’s plenty of good forwards that aren’t. This Josh Bruce “creating a contest” or “throwing his body around” stuff is rubbish. Give me the bloke that’ll kick his 2-3 goals regularly enough and nail the uncontested basics. Bruce is incapable of either and at present, the biggest physical liability we have.

It’s a no brainer that we just need a senior ruck now. No ifs, buts or maybes, just ******* get one.

That’s our biggest problem at present and for mine, explains mostly why we’re so hot and cold. Must be mentally exhausting for Bont, Macrae and co to constantly be on the back foot and reactive in that regard.

Also, Gardiner is absolutely hopeless, but we all knew that.

Actually think Roarke has been serviceable. Best 22 now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back