Game Day AFL 1st Elimination Final: West Coast Eagles vs Collingwood @ Optus 6.10 pm AWST Saturday 3rd of October 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're kidding yourself if you think that had an impact.

Everyone was writing off Collingwood before any of the "dirty club" stuff was mentioned.
They were always going to be up for fight.

Bottom line is we let Cox of the chain early and we had 3 genuine
Playing for us.

It was a big thing for them. They mentioned it in every single presser and media interview all week.

Not saying it was the difference, but it was certainly a motivating factor for them, it was a talking point before the from Eddie down, and both Pendles and Bucks brought it up after the game as well.

What a super disappointing season. Questions have to be asked. I don't think we are well coached currently. Our game style is not working, we've been overtaken by teams with poorer cattle.
A team possessing Darling, JK, Ryan, Cripps, Nic Nat, Shuey, Yeo, Gaff, Kelly, Sheed, Redden, Hurn, Sheppard, Duggan, McGovern and Barrass should not come 7th. I don't think there's a team in the AFL with a better starting 16 than that, on paper. Either the players aren't committed enough, or they're not being coached to play well together enough. I think it's both, but to see Kelly come from the Cats where he performed as one of the top 5 mids last year, and have considerably less output this year injury free, tells me coaching is a big part of it.
The midfield in particular is badly underperforming and I hope a new midfield coach will provide some relief here (can we have Sam Mitchell back please).
While recruiters and list management have done well in pulling together the names above (plus Rioli), at the same time we have no depth, and not enough good young players. Ah Chee, Ainsworth and Petrucelle being in an almost full strength line up is testament to this. Having said this though, I'd have rather seen Hutchings or XON come in for mid/fwd roles, and Jetta would have been better forward than the three selected too. We played a mid short tonight, with only 5 selected, unless you include Ainsworth. So Hutch or XON would have been better choices.

Off season wishes:
1. Draft some legit midfielders
2. Push XON and Cameron into starting 22
3. Move on from Ainsworth and Petch being anywhere near best 22. Use Ah Chee as depth. Continue with Rotham (I sincerely hope he was injured and not dropped). Don't bother with Brander as a mid.
4. Revisit gameplan
5. Nail the new midfield coach selection
6. Pray for a light Rioli suspension e.g. 18months
7. Re-sign Hurn and JK
8. List Mgmt: Delist Vardy, Venables (unfortunate circumstances), Watson, Brayshaw, atleast one of Reid/Treacy/Jones plus Schoey obvs is retiring. Guys like Foley, Petch, Ainsworth and Brander I wouldn't be upset to move on one way or another either. Upgrade Edwards

It was a big thing for them. They mentioned it in every single presser and media interview all week.

Not saying it was the difference, but it was certainly a motivating factor for them, it was a talking point before the from Eddie down, and both Pendles and Bucks brought it up after the game as well.
Id say charlie camerons little slip of the tongue a day earlier was more motivation for the pies than a throw away sarcastic comment by simmo.

Every team that loses feels this exact same way.

Richmond feel like they got reamed by umps on Friday (they didn't).
I think the difference, at least from my point of view, is that when the margin is one point all those things have effectively just decided the outcome of the game. In a game with a 15 point margin it’s different as a lot needs to happen for that result to be reversed. Every time it looked like we’d get a run on and pull away, nope, bullshit free kick leading to another Collingwood inside 50 and majority of the time a goal. We weren’t great sure, but we were good enough to win that game despite Collingwood playing out of our skins. Nothing like the Bulldogs game where we got reamed but deserved the loss anyway. This one we were definitely better than them despite not actually playing at our best, we just lacked the finishing touch.. as has been the theme all year.

Give it up on the umps, we lost that, JK 3 goals 4 and two of those were set shots, which he should kick, we went missing far to much during the game and the first quarter when we needed them the mids were invisible and we let Cox kick 3 easy goals from poor work from Barrass.
One if those misses was the easiest 50m ever not paid against Adams right on HT, so don't say the umps had no influence. Yes, we also contributed greatly to our own demise.

So you don't think JK could kick that goal without a 50, if that is the case then he should retire.
It wasn't a soda, he ended up kicking it from 50 instead of the goal square. The fact we're so upset about says everything about JK's expectations as he's been nailing them for years. The average player in the league would be 50/50 from there.

It wasn't a soda, he ended up kicking it from 50 instead of the goal square. The fact we're so upset about says everything about JK's expectations as he's been nailing them for years. The average player in the league would be 50/50 from there.

See i beg to differ, he should kick that in his sleep, it was no different to the first JD kicked in the game, the scoring chances JK missed last night are all getable, the one in the 3rd where he was at best 30 out at best and hits the post, he kicks those two goals i'm not saying the loss is on him, but they quite clearly cost us a chance to win.

Last edited:
Are you kidding. It is one thing for a team not to maximise their chances, and it is another thing for umpiring to swing so many crucial moments. Yes, our midfield should have been better, yes JK missed opportunities he should not have missed, and Ainsworth and ah Chee’s out on the full proved crucial. Barass was terrible all night.

That does not give the umpires a pass mark. Blatant holding the ball at half forward for pies not called. Goal to pies. Gov deliberate. Goal pies. Similar thing happens multiple times after that, no call. Blocking on Shuey when darling marks, goal pies. Blocking at every contest unnoticed, but most noticeably in last quarter when when Ryan taken out on the fifty. Somehow picked it out as a free kick to the pies at the most crucial of times, and even then marginal by the standards of the crap they don’t call.

Your first post above was irritating, but your second post is bullshit. Anyone who watched that game and does not think the umps had a massive influence on the outcome has their head up their arse. We should have won but didn’t. Our own players are to blame, but so are the umps. Fix was in early, you just didn’t see it. And for a private investigator, I would have thought you would have considered all the evidence.

Yeah it's not one or the other. We could've played better but the umps definitely cost us the game. You can tell yourself they didn't or did to feel better, but there were some bs calls. I just realised there was a blatant Pies throw that was not picked up either. I get the umps can't see everything but we were stiffed, and I can't really feel gracious about the defeat. Credit to the Pies, they took it up to us, but they didn't deserve to win. Just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Much like WCE’s season 2020, this thread is done

Continue the convo here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back