Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

CoastersFlag No.5

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2007
Not in Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Hard to think of positives after a loss like that but will have a go.
Positives
Kicked 5 goals from centre clearance despite having 3 mids short of match practice.
Liam Ryan is an out and out star.
NicNat gave Grundy a bath. Gaff was excellent. We need to win one for those two and Shep.
Negatives
Small forward is back to being an issue. Ryan is a jet but without Rioli or Venables the backups haven't performed. Petrucelle was useless tonight.
All year there has been these lapses of form and again it cost us. The first quarter in particular was very frustrating. Then in the last it was Mihocek who got off the leash. Our inability to get repeat inside 50's really didn't help.
Rare off night for JK in front of the sticks.
Rusty performances from Redden and Shuey didn't help. TK hasn't really got going as well this year. Hopefully another preseason plus Yeo's return would really help.
Another wasted year despite losing only 3 games from the last 14. Agree with Simmo the 3 hub disaster games killed us.

Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WILDCATS/STH.FREO/CELTICS
What else is he supposed to do there though? A Collingwood player coming at him full tilt and he sidesteps him torwards his favoured kicking side. Other options include sidestepping onto his non preferred or taking the tackle and a likely htb against.

Do what Pendlebury did in the last quarter in the same scenario, and let his opponent push him over the line, or he could actually make a legit effort to kick the ball rather than the lame effort he gave after he stepped over the line.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WILDCATS/STH.FREO/CELTICS
This season we have been hot and cold during games, and last night was no different, how many times during this game did we see the Pies win the ball on half back and just break away with ease. As great as our back line is, no backline will be able to hold up the dam wall. The hunger we had in 2018 does not appear to be in this team anymore, has not for the last two years. Whilst it was a disappointing loss, i could not see us matching it with type of footy the top 3 are playing (Lions, Power &Tigers ) this year.

Our mids were poor for a fair part of that game, we have a gun forward line, any time our mids stepped up at the centre clearance we scored, as our forwards are near on unstoppable when it comes in quick, it's just a shame Nic has to do most of the work, win the hit out then win the clearance.

We basically played three down tonight ourselves with Ainsworth- i didn't think i would ever see a slower footballer then Priddis, i was wrong, Petch and Ahchee, we lack speed badly and the only one with any speed Petch couldn't get a kick at the burley factory.

Last edited:

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
I am still ******* furious that if Ah chee makes any sort of score at the end, game changes. He kicks a point, we tie, extra time. He goals, we win. Instead, as a professional footballer, with an area the side of a barn to aim for, he puts it out on the full.

He shouldn't get another gig for us in the best 22 again, he has had his chances.

Imagine the review! So Arch, you kick even a point now and we tie! What happened!?!

Ah Chee: "me makey a boo boo!!"

😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Negatives:
1. I dont normally blame the umpire but this one point loss is certainly partly caused by some poor umpiring decision.
2. The team contested harder won the game. This is the major weakness of the WCE. The WCE is comparatively slow and unwilling to contest. We might be able to won enough games to put us in the top 8 but will definitely be exposed in the final series when other strong teams (in the final series) are contesting harder with more man on man body contacts/contests.
3. At poistion 5, we need to win 4 consecutive games to get the flag. We would not be able to do that with our current style. Tonight, we cannot even pass the first test and out of the final series.

Positives:
1. The players can be home with the family and friends for the rest of the year.
2. Liam Ryan‘s complete performance.

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Our mids were badly beaten the most concerning part was 6 our 11 goals came from centre clearances so in general play we got belted around the contest.

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
May I post here? Umps did cost you. I whinge when they cost us, and it wasn't tonight. We play that game 10 times you win it 7 or 8 times.

Had to quote for truth: really only one bloke (both good players too) who had a mare, and it was basically one shocking quarter.

Kelly was fine, he actually created goals in the first half when you were stagnant until we put bodies on him (Greenwood plus whoever, it was Adams sometimes): that opened up the others for your second quarter run. We don't do that often so clearly Bucks respects the hell out of Kelly.

You have a top 2 defence (I think ours it a shade better but thats probably bias) , deeper rucks (and Nic Nat on one leg for a half is better than Gawn let alone Grundy), better midfield and better forwards than us. You missed top 4 because of a weird season.
We blew up our season by loosing to gold coast and bulldogs and stuffing up the Hub the first time around. We also had more scoring shots last night JK missed goals he normally nails, same with Cripps missed 2 goals he should have kicked. Well done on the win and what ever you do please beat Geelong

kaII

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
One thing I will say is I thought our ball movement (particularly from the backline) looked the best it had all season. We gave ourselves quite a few clean looks i50 too.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Okay, from the "outsider looking in" perspective, you did cop the sharp end of the umpiring stick last night, but you usually do pretty well with them.

AFL umpiring IS overwhelmingly the major issue that the AFL need to deal with, but it is very easily wallpapered over when fans only speak up from their own teams perspective, then remain silent otherwise, and it's ably facilitated by the complicity of an AFL media to such an extent that it could only suggest conspiracy.

I'd go so far as to suggest that between 1/4 to 1/3 of results have been determined this year due to appalling inconsistency and "discretion". The game is only going to go backward whilst this remains unaddressed.

In their defence, the speed and fitness of the modern game does play a significant role in compounding this problem. It also needs to be addressed.

Change will only come about when enough people take a stand from a non parochial viewpoint.

Last edited:

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
I am still ******* furious that if Ah chee makes any sort of score at the end, game changes. He kicks a point, we tie, extra time. He goals, we win. Instead, as a professional footballer, with an area the side of a barn to aim for, he puts it out on the full.

He shouldn't get another gig for us in the best 22 again, he has had his chances.

Imagine the review! So Arch, you kick even a point now and we tie! What happened!?!

Ah Chee: "me makey a boo boo!!"

😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔
Was that the one where he was shoved as he kicked it? I would put my house on that being a free kick if it was De Goey running into goal. I remember being absolutely furious when the replay popped up. It could not have been any more illegal and there were softer ones paid all night.

Kempy the legend

Debutant
May 5, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
The bad - Players that need to be traded;

Redden -seriosly
Ainsworth - slowest player ever
Ah-chee - like the guy but is not delivering
Vermicelli - farout

Negatives: Shuey and Kelly had poor games

Umpiring was shockingly biased in favor of Pies, first time I've ever blamed umpires for a result but I was there it was diabolical

Positives:
Gaff was awesome
Darling had a red hot crack
Allen had good moments
Backs were solid
Cripps, JK were okay

Ryan was amazing, best impact player we've had since Judd, dominated as soon as he came on

Other:

Hopefully Rioli ban is short.

We miss a fit Yeo

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Here's what might appear to be a left field idea for some folks, but I will ask it to assess for alternative views.

a) Are there any folks out there who believe the eagles actually deliver relatively good bang for their buck in comparison to some other lists?
b) Do you think you deliver par for the available talent?
c) Do you think the team underperforms more often than not?

Jupes

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
had a bad feeling when i saw the teams sheet with petro. achee, anus and no schoey. man i feel bad for old tommy cole though in that last passage of play.

one positive was our crowd. just amazing atmosphere really thought they we going to pull them over the line.

2020 can * right off to be quite honest lads.

Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
had a bad feeling when i saw the teams sheet with petro. achee, anus and no schoey. man i feel bad for old tommy cole though in that last passage of play.

one positive was our crowd. just amazing atmosphere really thought they we going to pull them over the line.

2020 can fu** right off to be quite honest lads.

Wasn't coles fault he got the ball, there was a clearer option down the line. Horrible decision to go to him.

Spange

Club Legend
May 24, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NBA: Thunder
Congratulations to the pies they played a great game.

The major negative for me was the inability for the eagles to stop the pies running and spreading from clearances. The boys couldn’t seem to stick a tackle and this allowed them to move it forward at ease.

Other negative was our inability to put another goal on in that 10 minute period in the fourth when we were pressing hard

Barrass got bumped to easily off it by cox and allowed him to get the first 3 goals pretty much. Gov at least scragged him when on him.

Darcy Moore was allowed to ass * darling all game. Lots of holding and got away with it too.

As usual Ryan was sublime.
Gaff and Nic were also superb.
Petch was unsighted

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
The bad - Players that need to be traded;

Redden -seriosly
Ainsworth - slowest player ever
Ah-chee - like the guy but is not delivering
Vermicelli - farout

Negatives: Shuey and Kelly had poor games

Umpiring was shockingly biased in favor of Pies, first time I've ever blamed umpires for a result but I was there it was diabolical

Positives:
Gaff was awesome
Darling had a red hot crack
Allen had good moments
Backs were solid
Cripps, JK were okay

Ryan was amazing, best impact player we've had since Judd, dominated as soon as he came on

Other:

Hopefully Rioli ban is short.

We miss a fit Yeo
Please don't lump Redden in with those other 3 spuds.

ShaunWCEFC

All Australian
Jan 22, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

On CPH1921 using BigFooty.com mobile app
This doesn't surprise me at all got away with it all night, and then they scored 2 goals directly from dropping the balls that weren't payed.
My ass is still sore from the dry hammering last night.

Back