Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

The two games that cost us was the gold coast loss and the bull dogs loss, win those we finish top 2
An interesting question would be.. do we finish higher and go further with our original fixture? The 7-0 at home would be replicated in a normal year as you’d expect us to win at least 7 games at home. We had Gold Coast towards the middle of the season, another W instead of loss. Reckon covids shafted us big time.

The best part was that it was at a one eyed WC madhouse, karma is a b*tch
Yeah good way to blindly follow the narrative without looking at any facts. We’ve been on the lower end of the free kicks for all year.. yet, hello? We’ve still finished around the same spot and it’s had next to no influence over the course of the season. Until they decide to pull out the bs in a one point elimination final. Still won the one that counted between our two sides so not mad at all 😘

So back home and calming down with a glass of wine and Cheezels.

Guys - lift your heads, the board is better than the moaning crap that has filled most of the previous posts.

We rolled the dice at selection table and played 3 players who had been out for more than a couple of weeks. None of Shuey, Redden and Cripps were up to the speed of the normal AFL game let alone a final and Collingwood made us pay. I had hoped that Gaff, Sheed and Kelly would rise with the other 2 mids but alas it was only Gaff that was effective. To be fair to Tim, he was tagged most of the night.

Barrass did very well against the 7 foot Texan Turd in the 2018 GF and since then he has not been up to the task in 2 quarters.

We won on many lines. Half our forward line was strong and delivered.

Highlights:

+ Darling and Kennedy are still the 2 best KPF's duo in the AFL
+ Ryan showed Maynard why he got a AA Jacket and Brayden (what a wet name) missed out
+ Sheppard won against de Goeing to de Jail (and we know Shep always wins)
+ Duggan, Cole and Nelson did very well and have developed a really good rapport
+ NicNat showed us that he can play dual positions in midfield and ruck
+ Allen showed he was up to the pressure of finals and heir apparent
+ Jake needs to focus on being a winger in the off season - it is where he will make the grade

Lowlights:
- Barrass needs to look at his pre-game warm up. He probably needs to go into the boxing ring prior to each game
- Rioli's absence is hurting us
- I thought I was going to to eat my words after the first 30 minutes of Ainsworth's game but then he got lost in the crowd
- As official sponsor of Petruccelle, I apologise on behalf of the Pet franchise

For the neutrals, it was a cracking game and showcased a very good brand. We need to keep perspective

I've never liked the Pies, but after 18 I did feel a little sorry for them and their supporters and didn't begrudge them success. I know it's petty, but after last night I genuinely really really dislike them. I know it may sound like sour grapes but I felt we didn't lose fair and square, so I can't accept the defeat graciously. I will credit their performance though, did not lie down. Don't mind blokes like Pendlebury, but like you at least half of the team really gives me bad vibes. But I don't know them personally so I shouldn't judge too much. I would have gone for them vs Geelong but now not sure. I really don't care who wins that, just want Brisbane to tear the winner a new one. Come on Brisbane or Port, stick it to the Vics. Living in Victoria the Vic bias does get to you.

The difference in the end was Brody Miocheck, our defenders were arrogant and paid him no respect had he hurt us with two great goals. We have some work to defending the quick ball movement in the offseason. We are good when the ball comes in high and slow but as soon as teams move it quick we struggle. That comes from a clear lack of pressure in the forward half and midfield.

I was over it last night but now thinking about it again, I am not over it. Simpson really ****ed up in choosing Petrucelle.

Petrucelle has been unsighted traffic cone all year and in a cutthroat final he amasses 3 single handballs, with a disposal efficiency off 66.7%.

He had 2 effective handballs all game.

No tackles, no marks, nothing.

And sitting on the pine ready to go we have Lewis Jetta. A player who showed more in his left nut playing in the forward in his games against the bombers and bulldogs than Petch has all year.

This is Mitch Brown 2016 all over again.

Why Simpson? Why did you not back a hardened veteran in an elimination final? Where was the thought process in selecting an unsighted spud that doesnt know how to football? Questions need to be asked and we need answers. A pathetic decision that had huge ramifications.

Negative:

-Ah Chee and Petrcuelle are not AFL standard. The people who though Petrcuelle could be the next Peter Matera are on the same stuff as Willie Rioli

Posting rubbish..

Weed makes u happy. It’s meth that provides an alternative reality (i.e. the stuff our selection committee is on as well).

Credit where credits due, ainsworth had a great game in comparison to a lot of the finals seasoned players, showed a lot of heart and tenacity around the ball.
He will be a great roll player in time.
Not to mention he snagged a goal.

Ah Chee - I am sick of this bloke doing nearly everything that ends up being nothing.

He nearly marks the ball, nearly takes a hangar, nearly handballs, nearly kicks, nearly tackles.

The bloke literally has no first touch bone in his body.

He cant even nearly kick a behind (with a behind levelling scores), instead shanking a kick out on the full.

One of the most frustrating players in our side.

This is just such a crushing loss....

Next year we have Hurn, Nata, JK, Shuey etc all a year older.

Wouldn't be surprised if Jetts hangs up the boots.

We had so much more class and toughness available last night and we went with the Anus & Petch combo.

2 proven big game players. 2 Premiership players.

I know Simmo is pissed at both of them but you cant let that cloud your judgement for a do or die game.

Umps were shocking but we shouldn't have even given the pies a chance of winning.

Barrass has been pissweak all year. Where was the body contact on Cox? If the bloke has lost interest like he reckons piss him off for someone who gives a s**t.

The list will only get weaker with the age and a few retirements. We haven't been able to add enough depth.

And we just cost Shep, Gaff and Nata another chance at a cup.

+ Loved seeing Ryan not backing down when Maynard and co were getting in his face. Great game;
+ Duggan has really come on this season, which is a pressure releif cos we really need another mid rotation;
+ Was great to see that nicnat has not lost much of his leap with the pack mark he took after pies kick in. Fantastic game from him;
+ Darling, Hurn, Gaff, Shepp, Oscar;

- Mids useless as soon as the ball hits the deck or nicnat isnt there to spoon feed them. They couldnt keep up with pies run and spread either. Been a problem for years now, besides 18 final series where they played like a team possessed;
- Team selection was as bad a Mitch Brown to FP scenario. Why can we all see it but not the match committee? Certainly Jetta shouldve been in as a proven performer.

With the umps - this is what WCE need to expect for every home final. Of course they will not give us any 50/50s due to intense Vic scrutiny about our perceived home ground advantage. We overcame similar umpring during 2018 series.

I hope the 2021 season isnt played in hubs but not looking likely ☹.

Here's what might appear to be a left field idea for some folks, but I will ask it to assess for alternative views.

a) Are there any folks out there who believe the eagles actually deliver relatively good bang for their buck in comparison to some other lists? NO
b) Do you think you deliver par for the available talent? ABSOLUTELY NOT
c) Do you think the team underperforms more often than not? YES

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks to both clubs it was arguably the game of the year. I know you didn’t get the result but you should be proud of how you played. You guys had me thinking we were done. Good respect between all of the players and so many more great battles to come. This rivalry is the best.

Thanks to both clubs it was arguably the game of the year. I know you didn’t get the result but you should be proud of how you played. You guys had me thinking we were done. Good respect between all of the players and so many more great battles to come. This rivalry is the best.

Agree.

Not a huge wrap for the Collingwood breakneck speed/retain possession stuff, but it's reasonable viewing when conditions suit. The eagles are the only current club that plays anything close to traditional football, so it always easy watching them.

Last edited:
Inboard was the wrong option. Had Cripps free to his right and we could've kept the ball going forward.
Why did Cole call for it? Kelly would have been blindsighted as he was facing in the opposite direction, would have heard the call and given time left just given it.

Commiserations guys.

That was one hell of a game and in typical Eagles/Pies fashion went down to the wire. I think no matter what we as fans should be proud of our clubs for always putting up such great games. It's what makes supporting our clubs worth it because you know the players will play with pride in the jumper.

I honestly thought we were done when Darling kicked that goal to make it 75 - 76. About a minute to go with Nic Nat in the centre where he dominated most of the night.

Anyway, from an outsiders perspective, I still think there is plenty in this Eagles outfit to keep challenging for the flag over the coming years.

All the best for 2021.

Last edited:
I've never liked the Pies, but after 18 I did feel a little sorry for them and their supporters and didn't begrudge them success. I know it's petty, but after last night I genuinely really really dislike them. I know it may sound like sour grapes but I felt we didn't lose fair and square, so I can't accept the defeat graciously. I will credit their performance though, did not lie down. Don't mind blokes like Pendlebury, but like you at least half of the team really gives me bad vibes. But I don't know them personally so I shouldn't judge too much. I would have gone for them vs Geelong but now not sure. I really don't care who wins that, just want Brisbane to tear the winner a new one. Come on Brisbane or Port, stick it to the Vics. Living in Victoria the Vic bias does get to you.
It’s like that with a lot of teams. I get weird vibes about the West Coast boys but that’s because they are meant to be the enemy to me. Our guys are genuinely good blokes (I hope de goey is too in the end) and I’m sure the West Coast boys are too. I could see it after Liam Ryan’s goal in round 8 and when we lost the GF and Willie came to Adams and got him up off the ground.

An interesting question would be.. do we finish higher and go further with our original fixture? The 7-0 at home would be replicated in a normal year as you’d expect us to win at least 7 games at home. We had Gold Coast towards the middle of the season, another W instead of loss. Reckon covids shafted us big time.
Us copping that compressed fixture right before finals was a massive factor. Meant we went into last night with a quarter of our team returning off soft tissue injuries. The AFL's manipulation of this season has been unprecidented. McGowan also hurt us with his Covid politics.

I still can’t believe Simpson actually picked Ainsworth and Petruccelle for an elimination final. The guys that he didn’t pick offer so much more. We really missed Yeo.

I really feel for NN, Shep and Gaffy - really wanted to get it done for them.
Duggan is probably the biggest positive of 2020.

I still can’t believe Simpson actually picked Ainsworth and Petruccelle for an elimination final. The guys that he didn’t pick offer so much more. We really missed Yeo.

I really feel for NN, Shep and Gaffy - really wanted to get it done for them.
Duggan is probably the biggest positive of 2020.
who would replace them?

bit of a shame that some of the same supporters who so graceful in defeat in 2018 can be so pigheaded in victory today. not just bf but irl. losing some respect they earned in 18 for mine.

No bashing of the umpiring from me. We lost because we were outplayed by our opponents.
There were dodgy decisions in both directions in comparable amounts. I booed loudly at the Gov deliberate and I booed loudly at any remotely questionable Pies OOB afterwards, because riding the umps is what good fans should do, but we all know it was a correct call. But I guess that set the "woe is me" in motion for the rest of the game for some people.

5 minutes of Cox mayhem was fatal. Inefficiency in front of goal while our opponents were lethal was fatal. Letting our opponents either completely break tackles or at least get effective disposals away from them was also fatal. Those 3 things were all big factors, so in a game decided by 1 point that still leaves plenty that we did right. That thing was alive right up until the dumb handball to Cole. We gave up a lot to get Tim Kelly and last night when we needed some grunt & class he was rarely sighted. I'm looking forward to a big lift from him next year. Am I going to scapegoat him? No. It's not like our captain was out there leading the way either. We had a few below their best and it hurt us.

I'm not going to have a crack at the selections of Ainsworth, Petruccelle or Ah Chee. In a legit side none of those 3 should be playing, but in a good side there would be 3 easy replacements for them and right now those 3 don't exist on our roster. We're a shallow list atm and we paid the price. Ainsworth wasn't our worst on the night anyway. Did a few good things and has deserved his continued selection at the back end of the season.
It's clear that a lot of wannabe selectors love to hypothetically rearrange the deck chairs of the Titanic, but the bottom line is that our list management needs to be better so that we don't end up with 20 Amart deck chairs in the first place.

This first round exit from the finals was set up early, when we slacked off during lockdown while other teams were clearly doing better than us. Just like last year we slipped up in the home & away season and it cost us in the finals. But regardless of that, realistically it was a matter of time before we were eliminated in 2020. You just don't win a flag going through a finals campaign with at most 19 contributors.

If we're going to go out, then I'm cool with going out in a memorable contest like that one. Plenty can hold their heads high.
Naitanui has been incredible all year.
Liam Ryan is not only a legitimate gun but is also an entertainer of the highest order and we're blessed to have him.
Darling, Waterman, Duggan were all excellent, and I also rated Gaff, Allen, Hurn, Gov, and as always our selfless warrior Shep.

There was plenty to like but we just weren't good enough. That happens to 17 out of 18 teams every season but it never ceases to amaze me how some people just can't deal with that reality.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back