Opinion Nathan Van Berlo: Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Winning a clearance gets the ball going the team's way, it's then up to the players forward of the clearance to position themselves to take advantage. You only have to look at Richmond who just look to get the ball moving forward being it a knock on or kicking it off the ground etc as long as it keeps the ball in forward motion.

Oh I'm so, SO glad you bought up Richmond.

Guess where Richmond finished on average clearances per game in 2019? 18th.

But please tell me more about how they're a great example of clearances being important.

Must admit Richmond was an odd reference

Must admit Richmond was an odd reference

Either way, the fact the premiers finished in last place for average clearances with what is honestly a pretty solid midfield shows that it's not a great way to judge midfield performance.

Either way, the fact the premiers finished in last place for average clearances with what is honestly a pretty solid midfield shows that it's not a great way to judge midfield performance.

That's because Richmond's gameplan is basically Neil Craig's circa 2005-2006. Absorb attack and rebound off half back with quick ball movement.

Main difference is Richmond pressure the player rather than protect space.

I imagine the Tigers probably rank high in ground ball gets, that's a highlight in particular of their forward line. Create a contest in the air and win it off the deck or at worst, pressure the exit out of their forward half to create a turnover.

One thing I really like about West Coast's midfield structure is they are very proactive and direct out of the center

Hope VB can bring that to us
If we can play like that, with a decent forward setup, we'll be pretty good to watch.

Oh I'm so, SO glad you bought up Richmond.

Guess where Richmond finished on average clearances per game in 2019? 18th.

But please tell me more about how they're a great example of clearances being important.
Re clearance need to ask more questions to get a better understanding. from 2018 to present
Stoppage Points per clearance - Richmond 9th and West Coast 11th
Stoppage Pionts conceded they are West Coast 1st for and Richmond 4th and that the stat I like re Van Berlo

Re clearance need to ask more questions to get a better understanding. from 2018 to present
Stoppage Points per clearance - Richmond 9th and West Coast 11th
Stoppage Pionts conceded they are West Coast 1st for and Richmond 4th and that the stat I like re Van Berlo
isnt the stat thats important actually the one that aligns to your game plan. and there are different game plans.
find one your list can execute and then worry about the stats that measure that execution. basic strateg theory in any field.

For what it's worth, during his playing days, I always felt VB would make a great coach.

I think it was a combination of his intelligence, communications skills, work rate and being able to get the most of himself out of limited talent.

I don't actually think you need to be a gun player to be a gun coach, in fact I think this is less common. Some of the really talented players struggle to teach players to improve because so many things just came naturally to them.

I personally think he is going to do a great job, but time will tell.

For what it's worth, during his playing days, I always felt VB would make a great coach.

I think it was a combination of his intelligence, communications skills, work rate and being able to get the most of himself out of limited talent.

I don't actually think you need to be a gun player to be a gun coach, in fact I think this is less common. Some of the really talented players struggle to teach players to improve because so many things just came naturally to them.

all true and i hope you right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

isnt the stat thats important actually the one that aligns to your game plan. and there are different game plans.
find one your list can execute and then worry about the stats that measure that execution. basic strateg theory in any field.

Depends I find the stats that affect the scoreboard to be more import than the ones that don't.

Good result really, shouldn't have wasted my time reading the exact same opinion he shouts in every thread.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The ignore button is your friend.

Even when he was here.

They were direct but rarely good.

Sometimes fast is better than good and he has made huge contributions to Geelong because of exactly that.

Get the ball in quick and back your forwards in to take advantage.

If you go in directly from a center clearance there is no lose defender yet so your forwards have an even contest.

Sometimes fast is better than good and he has made huge contributions to Geelong because of exactly that.

Get the ball in quick and back your forwards in to take advantage.
Except when it comes to the pointy end of the year against better defences.

Agreed. I’m sure It’s why he was captain also. He’s an enormous improvement on what we had this year and brings some different ideas and experiences.

If vb had been captain of another club and then midfield coach at West Coast we would all be thinking it's fantastic. May as well give him a chance.

Sure and if he was Alister Clarkson and had coached multiple premierships as headcoach we'd be thinking he was fantastic too!

see how changing the details changes the outcome?

The club hasn't earned anywhere near enough trust for us to believe this appointment is merit based, so you can't just exclude that he is an ex-crow.

Wasn’t VB our forwards development coach in 2017? We seem to be bringing in coaches that have an emphasis on development experience. Someone has already mentioned it, but I also have a feeling that VB will be good for Chayce.

Also always elite standards, professionalism and leadership.

It sounds like Godden (Although fantastic with the players), couldn’t cope with the levels expected in an AFL environment, prefers the SANFL way of doing things. This is fine and I hope both he and Marty get another go at it.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Sure and if he was Alister Clarkson and had coached multiple premierships as headcoach we'd be thinking he was fantastic too!

see how changing the details changes the outcome?

The club hasn't earned anywhere near enough trust for us to believe this appointment is merit based, so you can't just exclude that he is an ex-crow.
So Kelly and Nicks are doing the appointments

What, given their track record, suggests they are just running around hiring ex-crows ?

You can't just exclude it that it might just be because he is an ex Crow, but you just can't disbelieve it's not merit based just because the lying liars are lying again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back