Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Hardest game to umpire. Congestion, speed, players gaming all the time.
Unfortunately the way the umpires are taught to control the game shows up as inadequate as all too often all three umpires are caught blindsided. All too often they guess. All too often they treat similar incidents in the same game differently. All too often they ignore written rules, except for the one (usually correct) time they decide to call it in a close game.

The whole umpire discussion is boring and achieves nothing.
It makes people feel better. We have no pull with the AFL on anything, so why discuss anything?

I've gotta say as flat as I still am, it was brilliant to see Liam Ryan now generate the same kind of excitement as guys like Charlie Cameron and Eddie Betts do/did. It all seemed to click for him midway through this season so it is so good to see this guy become one of the best small forwards in the comp.

Yeah he's definitely the biggest positive to come out of the game and the year really. So versatile, talented and exciting to watch. Always rated him highly.

You just know if that was us having to quarantine with our coaches spending the week in trailers we'd have bent over and lost by several goals. This pies team will roll the cats and come close to winning it all.

Also bad feeling that was our last shot for a while re: finals.

Era of freo now too sadly.

hope I'm never in the trenches with this snivelling weasel. Disgrace.

Last edited:
The umpires didn't "cheat". Only loser fanbases starved of success like Carlton and St Kilda throws that sort of sour grapes bullshit around.

We're the umpires incompetent at times? Absolutely.

Unfortunately for us, the incompetence seemed to end up in direct goals to the pies this week, so it felt like we got stitched.

McGovern deliberate - Cox goal
McGovern mark not paid - Degoey goal
Jamie Elliot completely dropping the ball on the wing - 5 secs later another Collingwood goal.

Swings and roundabouts.

Nothing takes away the fact we still could have won. Nothing takes away the fact it was an amazing away finals win by the Collingwood Football club.

Yeah he's definitely the biggest positive to come out of the game and the year really. So versatile, talented and exciting to watch. Always rated him highly.
Has to be a shot for F+B along with Nic, Shep and Gaff.

The umpires didn't "cheat". Only loser fanbases starved of success like Carlton and St Kilda throws that sort of sour grapes bullshit around.

We're the umpires incompetent at times? Absolutely.

Unfortunately for us, the incompetence seemed to end up in direct goals to the pies this week, so it felt like we got stitched.

McGovern deliberate - Cox goal
McGovern mark not paid - Degoey goal
Jamie Elliot completely dropping the ball on the wing - 5 secs later another Collingwood goal.

Swings and roundabouts.

Nothing takes away the fact we still could have won. Nothing takes away the fact it was an amazing away finals win by the Collingwood Football club.
Its not cheating but umpires fear the accusation of falling for the "noise of affirmation" especially against a big Vic team. As a result there was no real swings and roundabouts. It went in dry.

Pardon again for the intrusion, there's a bit of talk about the umpiring howlers - I agree there's quite a few from last night.

* The Billy walking over the boundary not paid deliberate when the Gov one was paid - exact same
*Nic Nat tackling his own player and Tay gets pinged
* The Billy dropping the ball in a tackle, with prior not pinged
* JT's mark i50 and Gov jumping straight into his back, no mark or free paid.
* Crisp's throwing the ball in the contest after Tay smothered Cole's kick, this one was not so obvious watching the replay. It would be hard for an ump to pay this one unless it was an absolute clear throw. It wasn't clear cut enough obviously.
* A couple of not 15m we got away with, and one Moore passed to Bruzzy I think it was in the back pocket that was clearly at least 20m and the ump called play on.

The pattern here as someone else in here suggested is inconsistency is the thing that drives us fans mad and make us want torch HQ.

Fans from all sides of fences bring up 'swings and roundabouts' going by the howlers above, ok you can make that argument. I have a problem with this thinking.

Wouldn't it be better for HQ to make absolute clear cut definitions of what constitutes a free no ifs buts or maybes and just direct the umpires to be consistent (As possible)?

If you're gonna pay deliberate against the Gov then sorry umps you HAVE TO PAY the one against Billy - exact same. Don't pretend it wasn't umps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know, I probably would've been ok with this one IF the ump paid incorrect disposal, as he put it on the ground and just let it go.

The fact he said he dragged it in, then pinged him for holding when he never had it was hilarious.

Umpires aside, I haven't seen a team score so accurately and ridiculous under pressure goals like that all year, luck went their way.

Overall we played better.

I hope it's not the last chance for players that deserve it, Nic nat, gaff, shep .
I think it sums up our season perfectly and the season as a whole and is probably a fitting end luck wise. Everyone else has been arsey all year and pull out their best games against us. Richmond will never kick that straight again, Bulldogs played their one good game of the year and Collingwood would lose that game 9 times if we played another 10 of them.

We’ve had to be absolutely perfect all year just to break even and our small slip ups have been fatal while other sides have been a lot more inconsistent than us yet seem to be able to cruise on through.

Sure we havent been great all year but I’d struggle to find a side that has been. We werent involved in many single digit games and pretty much all our wins we were the better side. But I can think of a handful off the top of my head from other top 4 sides that literally could’ve gone either way. Brisbane definitely had a couple of 1 point and 2 point games, Geelong pulled plenty of games out of their arse, the Bulldogs and Sydney games stick out the most.

Just s**t like that where it only took one of those results to be reversed for us to be in an infinitely better position. We literally had to go 100% from round 5 onwards just to make 4th.. and we arguably should have. We weren’t consistent but I’d still say we were more consistent than at least 15/16 other teams..

Positives? * that, St Kilda had a better season than us. ST KILDA. But I will look forward to all the posts about how we're the only team Richmond fears despite what? One win in four years? And all the excuses about why we couldn't beat anyone in the top 4 (except Geelong at home). Also how much it'll hurt the boys over summer. Last time we heard that they went out and lost to Gold Coast.

Humbug and melts.

I'm gonna be pissed off until Round One.

Bring on the Woosha Medal and the draft and cutting all the dead wood.

OK positives. Flyin' Ryan and Nic Nat and my voice still hasn't fully recovered so at least I feel like I did my bit :$

Positives? fu** that, St Kilda had a better season than us. ST KILDA. But I will look forward to all the posts about how we're the only team Richmond fears despite what? One win in four years? And all the excuses about why we couldn't beat anyone in the top 4 (except Geelong at home). Also how much it'll hurt the boys over summer. Last time we heard that they went out and lost to Gold Coast.

Humbug and melts.

I'm gonna be pissed off until Round One.

Bring on the Woosha Medal and the draft and cutting all the dead wood.

OK positives. Flyin' Ryan and Nic Nat and my voice still hasn't fully recovered so at least I feel like I did my bit :$

Definitely some harsh truths in here. We went into this season thinking we were primed to contend for the flag. Most people would acknowledge that we thought West Coast was probably the only thing in between Richmond and a 3rd flag in 4 years.

We got shown up quite badly.

This Collingwood team must be the best 8th placed team in the entire AFL era. The game was probably the highest quality game of the round, in a week of high quality finals, and Collingwood should knock off Geelong next week.

4/6 losses in the season were to other contenders, and Richmond/Collingwood both exposed our weaknesses at times. Those weaknesses (forward half pressure/mids losing contests) that meant even if we won on Saturday, we were probably a rung below the top 3 of Richmond, Brisbane and Port.

Simmo conceded that we simply weren't good enough and that work needed to be done to rectify the over-reliance on Nic, and forward pressure.

Simmo is a very good coach, and I am sure that he can address these issues in the off-season.

Positive. We get earlier draft picks and a easier fixture right?

Fixture could be easier in 2021.

We will play minimum 1, max 2 from top 6
Minimum 2 max 3 from middle 6 (one of which will be Freo)
Minimum 1 max 2 from bottom 6

I think a lot of people on here are being very unfair on Ah Chee. He had a direct hand in getting us back into the game in the second quarter (he was the kick that led to 2-3 goals I think) and was clean in the clinches. It was definitely far more noticeable at the ground than on the TV. He’s also playing one of the hardest positions on the ground.

I think too many people are focusing on his OOTFF, but there were plenty of others who should’ve converted.
Ainsworth had that shot from the point post and put it out on the full too - an AFL footballer shouldn't miss by THAT much, it's what they're paid to do.

At least Ah Chee was on the run with someone chasing him, Ainsworth had a set shot.

Pardon again for the intrusion, there's a bit of talk about the umpiring howlers - I agree there's quite a few from last night.

* The Billy walking over the boundary not paid deliberate when the Gov one was paid - exact same
* The Billy dropping the ball in a tackle, with prior not pinged
* JT's mark i50 and Gov jumping straight into his back, no mark or free paid.
* Crisp's throwing the ball in the contest after Tay smothered Cole's kick, this one was not so obvious watching the replay. It would be hard for an ump to pay this one unless it was an absolute clear throw. It wasn't clear cut enough obviously.
* A couple of not 15m we got away with, and one Moore passed to Bruzzy I think it was in the back pocket that was clearly at least 20m and the ump called play on.

The pattern here as someone else in here suggested is inconsistency is the thing that drives us fans mad and make us want torch HQ.

Fans from all sides of fences bring up 'swings and roundabouts' going by the howlers above, ok you can make that argument. I have a problem with this thinking.

Wouldn't it be better for HQ to make absolute clear cut definitions of what constitutes a free no ifs buts or maybes and just direct the umpires to be consistent (As possible)?

If you're gonna pay deliberate against the Gov then sorry umps you HAVE TO PAY the one against Billy - exact same. Don't pretend it wasn't umps.

We'll put. I think at the time of watching the game, and the subsequent cool down period it felt like the umpiring was shocking. Upon review it was just a little inconsistent on the 50/50 ones.

The umpiring was not the difference between the two sides. That can be attributed to Collingwood's fast and clean ball movement.

Hard to not feel like this was lost at selection.

Where the **** was Will Schofield? I think the edge that Schoey brings to the team has been severely under-rated by the MC and coaching panel.

Plus Schoey owns the Pies.
Plus Schoey announced his retirement - that has to get the boys up and about.
Plus Schoey would absolutely not have let Mason ******* Cox kick 3 goals in 3 minutes.

Looking forward to another also ran season next year after the boys all front up lean as buggery and have no appetite or strength to win a ground ball.

I hope like s**t Richmond don't win it all again but you have to take your hat off to Dimma Hardwick at keeping his group motivated and hungry to level we haven't been able to match.

I think I'm more pissed off now than I was on Saturday night. What a ******* waste of the last 2 years.

I think I'm more pissed off now than I was on Saturday night. What a ******* waste of the last 2 years.
100% Schoey would have been the difference, absolutely no question and you can't say hindsight because blind Freddy was questioning why ******* Sonic was selected. Pathetic from the MC who are starting to make a habit of it.

I'm still filthy at the umpiring not from a "they cheat" perspective, but just from a general they're ******* pathetic and it's ruining, scratch that, it has ruined the game. We were just unlucky the howlers against us all seemed to result in goals to the pies. #alltheluck

But yep, this game was lost at the selection table (and average kicking for goal didn't help)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back