Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
"I am LIKING COX, Hame!" - Tobias McAvaney
1600516935764.png

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
People don't understand the difference between pried and prised.

"Ben Brown is now officially available, while Jesse Hogan’s name continues to be mentioned among player managers as a forward who could be pried out of the Dockers for the right deal."

You mean prised out?

Pried is the past tense of prying, which means sticking your nose into someone's affairs. On the other hand, if you prise something out, you're using force to remove it from a tight space.

I see this crap all the time on Fox Sports.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
on the misuse of "laconic", I reckon it's as simple as it being mixed up with other words or phrases starting we "la" that mean 'relaxed' or similar, obviously such as "lazy", "lackadaisical" and "laid back." Add to that the sheep element in footy ("where are we going?" "Don't ask me; I was following you") then it catches on

Last edited:
on the misuse of "laconic", I reckon it's as simple as it being mixed up with other words or phrases starting we "la" that mean 'relaxed' or similar, obviously such as "lazy", "lackadaisical" and "laid back." Add to that the sheep element in footy ("where are we going?" "Don't ask me, I've been following you") then it catches on
Also, uninterested and disinterested
uninterested = not showing interest
disinterested = not having a vested interest

workhorse

Premiership Player
Nov 13, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Now admittedly I didn't hear this first hand but a friend watching the AA Team announcement on Fox said Johnathon Brown referred to Brad Sheppard as one of the "great young players" in the league....Brad Sheppard.....the 29 year old who's had a tremendous career

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Now admittedly I didn't hear this first hand but a friend watching the AA Team announcement on Fox said Johnathon Brown referred to Brad Sheppard as one of the "great young players" in the league....Brad Sheppard.....the 29 year old who's had a tremendous career
Was Sheppard eligible for the Rising Star award?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
I hate the way the media call every AFL player a "star".

Here is another galling example and it is not intended to be a pot shot at the person named :

Newly retired AFL star Harley Bennell has been taken to hospital by ambulance on the Gold Coast after a big night to celebrate the end of his career.

Since when was Bennell elevated to star status ??

Here is another galling example and it is not intended to be a pot shot at the person named :

Great point mate. Yes they are either a star or a superstar. Is it our laid back attitude, or how we're mates with everyone in our culture (which is a good thing).

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United

Couldn’t agree more. They use the word ‘star’ especially when the player has been involved in a controversy - “Collingwood star on drink drive charge”, and you find out it’s Jenny who plays back pocket for the AFLW team.

specq

Senior List
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Packers
People don't understand the difference between pried and prised.

Pried is the past tense of prying, which means sticking your nose into someone's affairs. On the other hand, if you prise something out, you're using force to remove it from a tight space.

So why do they not call it a prise bar then?

images

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Shane Crawford on Gold 104.3 this morning said 'aurora' instead of 'aura' when referring to the MCG atmosphere.

How very Doug Hawkins of him

Back