Ryan Gardner is a good footballer - post your apologies here

Remove this Banner Ad

Lex22

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
One on one is a massive problem for him. We dumped Fletcher Roberts and gave away Jordan Roughhead.

I'd take both of those guys tonight as a direct replacement in a heartbeat.
This is the part that really confuses me with Bevo.

There’s this mobility want with him and needs guys to have more strings to their bow, which whilst I think he overplays that importance, I kind of understood when he finished Fletcher Roberts and is probably going to do the same with Trengove.

So why does he then persevere with Gardiner who’s pretty well just designed to stop and worse at it then both Jackson and Fletcher? And he’s not really any more mobile to do anything else.

Then you have Lewis Young on the list, who mostly fits his idea but he doesn’t play.

It’s really strange thinking.

Like with his ruck ignorance, it may need to be someone else at the club that can overrule him in that regard.

Last edited:

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is the part that really confuses me with Bevo.

There’s this mobility want with him and needs guys to have more strings to their bow, which whilst I think he overplays that importance, I kind of understood when he finished Fletcher Roberts and is probably going to do the same with Trengove.

So why does he then persevere with Gardiner who’s pretty well just designed to stop and worse at it then both Jackson and Fletcher? And he’s not really any more mobile do anything else.

Then you have Lewis Young on the list, who mostly fits his idea but he doesn’t play.

It’s really strange thinking.

Like with his ruck ignorance, it may need be someone else at the club that can overrule him in that regard.
Totally agree. Trengove is one who can play two roles we desperately need as well. KPD and helping English in the ruck. Brought in on good money. Straight in the leadership group. Popular with team-mates. Yet can’t get a game. I find it hard to believe his omission is purely down to lack of ability.

DogDays

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2012
Ex-Melbourne, now Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I call bullshit.

He deserved his place and while wasn’t the best player did his job yesterday. His one slip up was the handball which Williams clearly called him for but was out of position. Besides that he stopped several goals with some great team defence work.

Surprisingly his closing speed live is really noticeable, and given another season I can see him holding down the spot well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Boof09

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I call bullshit.

He deserved his place and while wasn’t the best player did his job yesterday. His one slip up was the handball which Williams clearly called him for but was out of position. Besides that he stopped several goals with some great team defence work.

Surprisingly his closing speed live is really noticeable, and given another season I can see him holding down the spot well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
What goals did he stop?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cecil

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He has a bit to work with, and does seem like a nice kick, but bites off more than he should at times. He's a poor body-on-body defender and also has a habit of taking out our own players in marking contests. He shouldn't be best 22, but I would give him a 1 year contract and we need to keep him in the one position at VFL level.

Totally agree. Trengove is one who can play two roles we desperately need as well. KPD and helping English in the ruck. Brought in on good money. Straight in the leadership group. Popular with team-mates. Yet can’t get a game. I find it hard to believe his omission is purely down to lack of ability.
Trengove played some stinkers last year that were significantly worse than what Gardner's done in the last few games.

I wasn't a fan of Gardner early but the inability for people to update their prior beliefs in the face of new information is ridiuclous.

The kick inside 50, bad, one mistake leading to a goal, bad.

But he had a dozen other touches in congestion that were decent, has decent straight-line speed for a guy of his height, and used his athleticism better than I've seen him.

Or have we all forgotten the times that Trengove turned it over inside defensive 50 (numerous) and gave away dumb frees last year (also numerous)?

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Trengove played some stinkers last year that were significantly worse than what Gardner's done in the last few games.

I wasn't a fan of Gardner early but the inability for people to update their prior beliefs in the face of new information is ridiuclous.

But he had a dozen other touches in congestion that were decent, has decent straight-line speed for a guy of his height, and used his athleticism better than I've seen him.

Or have we all forgotten the times that Trengove turned it over inside defensive 50 (numerous) and gave away dumb frees last year (also numerous)?

Have been saying similar things about Tregove for a while. Gardener is definitely an improvement. He isn't a superstar, but he is better than other options.

The issue for mine is that he’s a bad one on one defender. Pretty important trait for a key defender. I’ve got a similar view of Cordy so it’s certainly an area I’d like to recruit

These stats dont suggest that.

Screenshot_20201004-194837_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201004-194819_Chrome.jpg

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

The issue is not whether Trengove is a top quality player. He has his limitations for sure.

The difference is that Trengove could have been used as an effective stop-gap this season. For some reason he has been blackballed.

Meanwhile Bevo is pouring games into Gardner who I, and many others, do not think has any upside.

His first few games were deplorable. He has improved and I am not blaming him more than anyone else for yesterday’s defeat. The point is that he has shown nothing that indicates he’ll be anything more than a decent VFL player.

Bevo accommodated him yesterday, partly, by putting Crozier forward. That is such a horrid move. Bevo deserves some crap for that decision. Unfortunately Gardner is going to get some too even if he doesn’t pick himself.

Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I thought Gardner was okay yesterday and has made huge improvements this year(I thought he was the doggy player I’d ever seen after round 2), hard to expect the world from a kpp who has played less than 10 games.

doggy_dog

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In what way junior?
He made a couple of mistakes, he wasn’t alone these things happen dozens of times every game. He also had some good moments where he looked quite composed. Singling out Gardner as the reason we lost is just lazy and unfair

I thought Gardner was okay yesterday and has made huge improvements this year(I thought he was the doggy player I’d ever seen after round 2), hard to expect the world from a kpp who has played less than 10 games.
That's where I'm at.
I think he has some tools that could be useful (his closing speed is phenomenal) but he's just raw and unready. He has composure issues which will only get better with time.
In an ideal would he'd be biding his time at VFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back