Past Coach John Blakey - will not be continuing at North in 2024 - Thanks John

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

BTW - Polec is a pea heart. We don't need pea hearts at North.

Lol - kinda agree however;

He is also an investment and I am worried we have devalued said investment by playing him out of place and seemingly pushing him out the door.

I believe his contract was heavily front ended so his salary moving forward isn't that giant but I'd hate us to be paying top dollar to send him off for a late second rounder. If he isn't right - fine, but lets get the most out of it.

Blakey has decided to play his next afl campaign on sandbox setting . i can't wait to see what he does with it

BOYS CLUB!!!

Seriously, our ex players have been busy. Blakey was one of my favourites in the 90s, and his coaching experience is a step up from what we’ve had assisting the senior coach. Really pleased about this.

His training standards set the bar high in his day enabling to play over 350 games. Daresay may have influenced boomer's work ethic enabling him to set the record. I like where this is going, standards are being set high, and players will be held accountable to reach those standards.

It is incredibly telling that a ex club champion who with seemingly no interest in our club to the point of not considering us worthy of having his son play for us. Doing a complete reversal and excepting a roll with us, all on the back of a new administration and coach. I would call the a huge boost of confidence towards our future and our administration.
You may be right or wrong on that one, but you do have to consider that his son has a mind of his own and made his own decision. My teenage sons do the complete opposite of what i tell the stupid fkrs....who's to say JB didn't tell him to get out of the house, grow a pair, and get down to Arden St, if you don't I will!

Melb Uni by far out ranks GC and Bris for Engineering Qualifications..;)
Depends on type of engineering! UQ is highly regarded in everything and particularly mining and chemical engineering. But thats a long commute for a kid, so may as well be in Melbourne, he chose Melbourne Uni because he wanted to play for NMFC, don't let some bullsh1t uni ranking statistics get in the way of a good story. For full disclosure, I did my undergrad at Melb Uni, my brother lectures there, and I live across the river from UQ.

Off topic I know - just delete mods if it derails too much.

Ross Smith or John Blakey better player?

Loved them both as dependable, tough as nails Shinboners. Just nostalgia hit me.

Smith for mine but both great North underrated defenders. (knowing Blakey and Fitzroy first)

Love them both but for me Blakey much better as he could and did play multiple roles. One of the only players who'd take Hird out of a game, accumulate his own ball, and run off bouncing. Ross had a booming kick, hard as nails, but really played more of a third up spoiling role. I was gutted for him that he was left out of the 96 premiership team, but he was great in the reserves premiership and was very happy that Carey acknowledged the boys who missed out. Must have been tough for him but ever the professional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd sign Lucifer himself if it resulted in a leadership group that desperately wanted to finish top 4.

We have already appointed Lucifer, based on what we saw this season

Will Nick want to follow his dad to North? That is the question?

Maybe he'd prefer to work without his son being around? Would hate for this to be the expectation.

IMO there is about as much chance of Nick Blakey coming to us as there is either of Gavin Brown's sons coming across from Collingwood.

May the swans fall off the face of the earth.

Really happy with this acquisition as i could've sworn he was never leaving sydney. Begs the question why didn't it happen sooner?
Horse got his new toy - the Big Cox last year, since then JB has been tossed aside like a used franga..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back