Past Coach John Blakey - will not be continuing at North in 2024 - Thanks John

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne has turned to Paul Roos to help lead Rhyce Shaw through a challenging 2021

Jay Clark, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
October 4, 2020 9:50pm

He might be in Hawaii, but that hasn’t stopped a desperate North Melbourne from sounding out legendary mentor Paul Roos in a bid to help Rhyce Shaw fix the mess the club finds itself in after a horror 2020.

North Melbourne has reached out to Sydney Swans’ premiership coach Paul Roos about a mentoring role at the club next season.
The Kangaroos have overhauled their assistant coaching staff and have begun sounding out whether Roos would be interested in returning to club land to help guide senior coach Rhyce Shaw in 2021.

Roos is in Hawaii and is not expected to return home to Australia until early in the new year.

North Melbourne heavyweights are expected to revisit the conversation with Roos in coming weeks after poaching one of his former lieutenants and close friends John Blakey from Sydney Swans to add to Shaw’s assistant coaching panel.

Blakey will replace Jade Rawlings who the Herald Sun revealed had been sacked last week with two years remaining on his contract. Assistants Heath Scotland, Jarred Moore, Jared Rivers, Jason Lappin and Brendan Whitecross are also gone.

Roos, who took the Swans to the 2005 premiership and then led Melbourne out of the darkest chapter of the club’s history, would be able to help the inexperienced Shaw step through the on-field problems and team and list-building challenges North will face next year as the pressure mounts.

He could also help oversee the coaching, fitness and medical departments after a poor year with injury.

Star midfielders Jack Ziebell and Ben Cunnington both experienced recurring injuries this season, sidelining them for key periods of the season.

North Melbourne will face an uphill battle next season as it looks to find as many as 14 new players to fill the list from the trade period and draft next month.

The Roos have already made 11 delistings and are considering trading senior stars Shaun Higgins, Jared Polec and Ben Brown.

Star ruckman Todd Goldstein has not made and moves or plans to switch clubs and is expected to stay at the club for next season.

Melbourne has shown interest in Polec and Brown, while Geelong leads the race for veteran Higgins.
Any other club and they would replace the word desperate with shrewd.

The argument against priority access to the academies is simple - they are there to grow the game, that should never be to the exclusive benefit of any club.

In their defence they’re spending money and resources into these kids. No club is going to spend money and time into these kids, just to “grow the game.”

I sure as hell wouldn’t want North investing time and money into kids in Tassie, just for someone else to snap them up.

Growing the game is in the hands of the AFL. It should be run and funded by them and then the priority access can be removed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

In their defence they’re spending money and resources into these kids. No club is going to spend money and time into these kids, just to “grow the game.”

Correct. Which is why they shouldn't exist. A first step would be to get rid of the discount for selecting them - you want someone badly enough you select them and wear the points cost.

Correct. Which is why they shouldn't exist. A first step would be to get rid of the discount for selecting them - you want someone badly enough you select them and wear the points cost.

Just have an independent academy run by the AFL in NSW & QLD, with no affiliation to any club.
That way we can still grow the game in those areas without a club rorting the system.

A part of the AFL academy would see the kids spend time at the nearest club funded by the AFL. The advantage the club gets is seeing the kid first hand, that is all.

I sure as hell wouldn’t want North investing time and money into kids in Tassie, just for someone else to snap them up.

Growing the game is in the hands of the AFL. It should be run and funded by them and then the priority access can be removed.

weird isn’t it, when you think of who actually owns GWS, GCS and SS.

Do we not include players outside of our NGA prospects in our Tassie academy? I seem to remember reading that we do.

Also, there’s a million ways to grow the game without handing out freebies to the northern states.

We talk about having an * on whoever wins the premiership this year but we should really put an * on teams with unfair playing fields. Premierships whilst having COLA especially.

Do we not include players outside of our NGA prospects in our Tassie academy? I seem to remember reading that we do.

Also, there’s a million ways to grow the game without handing out freebies to the northern states.

We talk about having an * on whoever wins the premiership this year but we should really put an * on teams with unfair playing fields. Premierships whilst having COLA especially.

Just my opinion, but getting kids to play the game in the Northern states is the best way to grow the game. Attention to grass roots and continuing to develop through academies for those that can potentially take the next step.

I completely agree that the “handing out of freebies” needs to end. I am just pointing out (which I have a few times) that the academies has a purpose. It needs to be completely independent and run by the AFL. With this sort of setup and Northern clubs not investing their own money and resources, the access to these kids can be abolished.

A system like this potentially gives better access for interstate clubs away from the academies as well. Data, testing, footage, interviews, hell the kids could even travel interstate and spend time with various clubs.

I personally think there is a place for academies and if you look at professional sport around the world, they all have them. It just needs to be set up in a fair way for all clubs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as all of this makes sense in terms of development in non-traditional states, why do the Swans need to be provided incentives of getting quality players for free or cheap from that development?
Because they are one of two sides in Rugby League and Union heartland so they get advantages cos their success is good marketing from the AFLs perspective.

It's a marketing driven racket designed to prop up the flakiest market in the competition, and you know it mate.

It's completely illogical from a sporting integrity aspect.
For years the comp has been run as a business so why do you think it will have "sporting integrity".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back