Tom Elliott in the media. Do you rate him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Flogwater

Senior List
Aug 30, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Hi all

I am interested to hear people’s thoughts about the media work of Tom Elliott.

Over the years, I have been in situations where Elliott’s Drive program on 3AW was on in the background and I have had no real choice in the matter, e.g. in a shop or a waiting room. On the rare occasions where I have skimmed the Herald Sun, I have noticed that Elliott sometimes writes a column.

Here are some starters.

1. As a whole, 3AW is skewed towards an older, mainly conservative, audience. This is especially the case with Elliott’s talk-back show. He is a man in his early-50s who consistently appeals to listeners of his father’s vintage, or many bored truck-drivers.

2. Talk-back tends to be lazy radio. It seems as if Elliott prepares for an episode by getting the Hun or other Murdoch print-media, or perhaps the Twitter observations of a Tim Smith, James Newbury or Georgie Crozier, and picking talking points that he suspects will excite his listeners, usually by appealing to their bigotry or excessively individualistic outlook. Elliott starts a segment with some outrage bait and lets the listeners have their say. He tends to end each call with “well said” or some other smug observation.

3. The Drive show is also lazy in that the program has a lot of filler. Drive runs from 3 to 6 pm, Monday to Friday, and I checked the length of episodes on the Drive podcast, which are streamlined to the content of each show. The podcast list showed that there is usually 90-100 minutes of content out of the 3 hour show, i.e. 50 % to a fraction under 60 %. The remaining 80-90 minutes are filled by ads, frequent news updates and traffic reports.

4. Elliott’s voice is not suited to radio. He is lispy and has a tendency to stammer. But it seems that having a grating voice is no barrier to a long career on the airwaves. Alan Jones has a shocking voice for radio and he was on for years (the self-proclaimed Muhammad Ali of 2UE, back in the day).

5. When a listener occasionally disagrees with Elliott, he tend to talk over them, or uses the radio station’s mute tools to silence them.

6. He has an annoying habit of starting a sentence with “My daughter … “. The usages are mostly gratuitous and often seem motivated by the idea that being a parent somehow gives his opinions special weight.

7. His delivery has a veneer of civility, in contrast to the snarling of Alan Jones or Ray Hadley. Often, his arrogance and prejudices will come though when he uses a patronising or sneering tone when covering topics such as indigenous Australians, social security or drug-injecting rooms.

8. Less odious than his father, which is not saying much, but an unwelcome presence in the media. Perhaps Bolt Lite.

Hi all

I am interested to hear people’s thoughts about the media work of Tom Elliott.

Over the years, I have been in situations where Elliott’s Drive program on 3AW was on in the background and I have had no real choice in the matter, e.g. in a shop or a waiting room. On the rare occasions where I have skimmed the Herald Sun, I have noticed that Elliott sometimes writes a column.

Here are some starters.

1. As a whole, 3AW is skewed towards an older, mainly conservative, audience. This is especially the case with Elliott’s talk-back show. He is a man in his early-50s who consistently appeals to listeners of his father’s vintage, or many bored truck-drivers.

2. Talk-back tends to be lazy radio. It seems as if Elliott prepares for an episode by getting the Hun or other Murdoch print-media, or perhaps the Twitter observations of a Tim Smith, James Newbury or Georgie Crozier, and picking talking points that he suspects will excite his listeners, usually by appealing to their bigotry or excessively individualistic outlook. Elliott starts a segment with some outrage bait and lets the listeners have their say. He tends to end each call with “well said” or some other smug observation.

3. The Drive show is also lazy in that the program has a lot of filler. Drive runs from 3 to 6 pm, Monday to Friday, and I checked the length of episodes on the Drive podcast, which are streamlined to the content of each show. The podcast list showed that there is usually 90-100 minutes of content out of the 3 hour show, i.e. 50 % to a fraction under 60 %. The remaining 80-90 minutes are filled by ads, frequent news updates and traffic reports.

4. Elliott’s voice is not suited to radio. He is lispy and has a tendency to stammer. But it seems that having a grating voice is no barrier to a long career on the airwaves. Alan Jones has a shocking voice for radio and he was on for years (the self-proclaimed Muhammad Ali of 2UE, back in the day).

5. When a listener occasionally disagrees with Elliott, he tend to talk over them, or uses the radio station’s mute tools to silence them.

6. He has an annoying habit of starting a sentence with “My daughter … “. The usages are mostly gratuitous and often seem motivated by the idea that being a parent somehow gives his opinions special weight.

7. His delivery has a veneer of civility, in contrast to the snarling of Alan Jones or Ray Hadley. Often, his arrogance and prejudices will come though when he uses a patronising or sneering tone when covering topics such as indigenous Australians, social security or drug-injecting rooms.

8. Less odious than his father, which is not saying much, but an unwelcome presence in the media. Perhaps Bolt Lite.
Amazing how much he's changed his ideology since doing breakfast radio on 3RRR. Gone from trying to appease a left-wing audience to pandering to a right-wing crowd. Whatever pays the bills I suppose. I'll never forget seeing him at a TISM gig in the late 1980's when they burnt an effigy of his father on stage :D

Amazing how much he's changed his ideology since doing breakfast radio on 3RRR. Gone from trying to appease a left-wing audience to pandering to a right-wing crowd. Whatever pays the bills I suppose. I'll never forget seeing him at a TISM gig in the late 1980's when they burnt an effigy of his father on stage :D

Cheers, Ghost.

Pandering to the right is a good way to describe his approach. His moaning about the lockdown plays to the mostly conservative gallery of Drive.

He is fond of re-telling the joke about the Greens being watermelons. It's become as hackneyed as one of Ian Chappell's anecdotes about Les Favell.

Cheers, Ghost.

Pandering to the right is a good way to describe his approach. His moaning about the lockdown plays to the mostly conservative gallery of Drive.

He is fond of re-telling the joke about the Greens being watermelons. It's become as hackneyed as one of Ian Chappell's anecdotes about Les Favell.
I haven't listened to him since about May, Flog. At that stage he was gloating over his early prediction that Australia would only have about 100 covid deaths and the virus would just dwindle away into a typical winter cold season. Tell me he's not still going on about that? :D

From what I have heard from him since May, he has not mentioned his prediction. His recent line is that Dan Andrews stuffed up hotel quarantine, so it's his fault for the high case total in Victoria.

Elliott said that, in the early stages of Stage Four, he went for a run without wearing a mask. He complained about receiving dirty looks and copping abuse. Such heat was probably not solely the result of Elliott's maskless state ...

His Wikipedia page. :tearsofjoy:

Screenshot_20200922-024345_Samsung Internet.jpg

From what I have heard from him since May, he has not mentioned his prediction. His recent line is that Dan Andrews stuffed up hotel quarantine, so it's his fault for the high case total in Victoria.

Elliott said that, in the early stages of Stage Four, he went for a run without wearing a mask. He complained about receiving dirty looks and copping abuse. Such heat was probably not solely the result of Elliott's maskless state ...

And the issue with this is?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the issue with this is?

As mentioned by Ghost, the findings of the inquiry are pending.

Moreover, Elliott's reasoning highlights his shallowing thinking and tendency to analyse situations in a generalised, black and white manner. While I suspect the hotel quarantine situation didn't help, it appears that a combination of numerous reasons has resulted in the high COVID case numbers in Victoria compared to the remainder of the country. Some of the contributing factors have been long-running and led to an environment where a pandemic situation would have a significant impact in Victoria.

It is a complex and nuanced situation. Elliott's approach underscores his blinkered ideology and his tendency to oversimplify or misrepresent an issue in such a way to pander to his audience.

Last edited:
Kidding me? You didn't hear enough of his and his minister's testimonies to draw your own conclusions?
What leader of any industry allows himself and his underlings to repeatedly trot out "I don't recall"?
Tom Elliott may be a few things, but one thing he's not and that's wrong with his assessment of Andrews and his pathetic leadership.

The one thing that makes me wanna tear my hair out listening to this douche (other than his monotone voice) is that he always states the bleeding ******* obvious. I cant recall specific examples (its been over a year since i listened to him) but trust me, there were many.

Just the most boring man on earth.

I miss Hinch and Price. :thumbsdownv1:

The one thing that makes me wanna tear my hair out listening to this douche (other than his monotone voice) is that he always states the bleeding ******* obvious. I cant recall specific examples (its been over a year since i listened to him) but trust me, there were many.

Just the most boring man on earth.

I miss Hinch and Price. :thumbsdownv1:

I have listened to small samples of Elliott this year. It's fair to say you have been better off not listening to him during this time.

His reactions to, and diatribes about, COVID have highlighted his limitations and exposed his prejudices, which are sometimes concealed by his veneer of civility ("My daughter ... "; "Did I tell you that I live in Fitzroy? ...").

I have listened to small samples of Elliott this year. It's fair to say you have been better off not listening to him during this time.

His reactions to, and diatribes about, COVID have highlighted his limitations and exposed his prejudices, which are sometimes concealed by his veneer of civility ("My daughter ... "; "Did I tell you that I live in Fitzroy? ...").

He must be blowing someone good down there at AW... cause i have nfi how he got/gets that gig.

I just stick to the morning boys, then maybe a bit of Mitchell, depending on what he intros with..

He must be blowing someone good down there at AW... cause i have nfi how he got/gets that gig.

I just stick to the morning boys, then maybe a bit of Mitchell, depending on what he intros with..

Casting couch?

An appalling mental image where Elliott is concerned ...

Tom reckons he gets his own jobs but if it wasn't for his dad would he be on radio, I doubt it. I jog past his childhood home and laugh when I think of him making out he is an ordinary bloke made good because while I don't begrudge wealthy people but find it ridiculous when they try to make out that certain opportunities are not simply handed to them for who they are.

Tom reckons he gets his own jobs but if it wasn't for his dad would he be on radio, I doubt it. I jog past his childhood home and laugh when I think of him making out he is an ordinary bloke made good because while I don't begrudge wealthy people but find it ridiculous when they try to make out that certain opportunities are not simply handed to them for who they are.

He was going on about his "side hustle" the other day and equating it with the poor pricks who have to work two casual jobs - its s**t radio with a myopically right wing slant of unimaginative Herald Sun talking points. He is bad even by 3AW standards. It's a few laffs when he gets his Dad on who has totally lost it.

Tony Moclare who does the night shift is a trump loving fash

He was going on about his "side hustle" the other day and equating it with the poor pricks who have to work two casual jobs -

Yeah I recall Ross and John would sometimes complain about the cost of stuff on their show, its like "u wot mate?!? How many millions are you on again, pls remind us".

/otherwise i did love their show. Ross and Russ can gagf'd tho. Still srsly underwhelming and dont tune in every morning.

Yeah I recall Ross and John would sometimes complain about the cost of stuff on their show, its like "u wot mate?!? How many millions are you on again, pls remind us".

/otherwise i did love their show. Ross and Russ can gagf'd tho. Still srsly underwhelming and dont tune in every morning.

Ross and John were total pros - Ross and Russ continue in the tradition. It's funny word play and s**t

Remove this Banner Ad

Back