Past Coach John Blakey - will not be continuing at North in 2024 - Thanks John

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

"John Blakey is set to make a homecoming, joining North Melbourne as Senior Assistant Coach."

Why would we be reporting that he is coming as an assistant only to then appoint him as the senior coach? With Jade Rawlings departing as the senior assistant it seems pretty obvious he is just replacing that role.

"John Blakey is set to make a homecoming, joining North Melbourne as Senior Assistant Coach."

Why would we be reporting that he is coming as an assistant only to then appoint him as the senior coach? With Jade Rawlings departing as the senior assistant it seems pretty obvious he is just replacing that role.

It’s just bs..

Rumours that Rhyce is dealing with some issues and the fact Blakey was brought over as an assistant, occurring within a couple days of each other. It’s an easy story for trolls.

If Rhyce’s current situation is true, the club wouldn’t be rushing to make a decision like that when it’s something so sensitive.

Also my understanding was that Blakey did not want to be a senior coach...

It's all about his kid, just like I figured.

All he did was speak about his love of Sydney.
wot?

It's an 8 minute piece of audio in which he covers

Leaving Sydney
Coming back to North
That North is his home due to the success through the 90s
That his role will be a senior assistant
that he has a great relationship with Rhyce Shaw
That he carried friendships from his Fitzroy days
That Nick will have to move out of home

Did we listen to the same piece of Audio?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha it was nothing about Nick. Maybe five seconds into the first 30 seconds.
If anything - I took it as we are in a pretty serious position. We will be trading in some players. Our mid-aged talent is where we are significantly lacking. Blakey and Beady have a lot of work to do.

Side note. Essentially, Brady got rid of his brother for Blakey right?

I was CLEARLY referring to his MOTIVE, not the time afforded to that aspect.

Hmmm.............how do I put this?:think:

Are you assuming that Brady had a choice?

If anything - I took it as we are in a pretty serious position. We will be trading in some players. Our mid-aged talent is where we are significantly lacking. Blakey and Beady have a lot of work to do.

Pretty much what has been alluded to and stated by the GM. There's no mixed messaging about what we're doing here. The plan is pretty clear.

FWIW, I would have gone with Beaky, but Beady works too.

Blakey audio this morning

Thanks, GR. Very nice. As you would expect, Blakey quietly and firmly positive about everything - where he has been (Fitzroy, North in the 90s, Sydney) and where he is going, with Shaw and Rawlings and the current North Melbourne list and the prospects for drafting and trading more quality players. Nothing surprising said, but listening to him talk reinforces that he should be a reassuring presence.

Pretty much what has been alluded to and stated by the GM. There's no mixed messaging about what we're doing here. The plan is pretty clear.

FWIW, I would have gone with Beaky, but Beady works too.

Yep well said. So I guess the question is, passmore, what will the initial response be if we bring in 23-26 years olds? I assume that's the type of age group we're missing.

I'm also guessing that after failed attempts of recycled players - we would be 'attempting' to trade in more elite types who fit that age bracket? No more selecting players with potential, rather proven? But we are definitely targeting that age bracket as well right?

Former North Melbourne champion John Blakey is looking forward to working with the club’s emerging talent in his new role as assistant coach.

A host of youngsters were exposed to playing at the top level in 2020, and Blakey believes that experience will prove invaluable.

“There are a lot of players that are 21 and under and some really good talent amongst the list,” he told North Media.

“There’s been experience put into the younger group, they’ve got some games under their belt and they’ve got a taste of what’s required to be able to compete against the best sides.

“I’m looking forward to working with those young boys and developing and educating them on what’s required to be able to compete with the best teams in the competition.”

Blakey has tasted the ultimate success on numerous occasions; as a player in the Roos’ 1996 and 1999 Grand Finals, and as a member of the coaching team at the Brisbane Lions in 2003 and Sydney Swans in 2012.

Now he is determined to help take North Melbourne back to the top.

“I want to help the club get to where they want to get to,” Blakey said.

“You learn along the journey what it takes and what’s required to constantly compete in September and then what’s required to win a premiership … and its bloody hard, it’s not easy by any stretch of the imagination.

“You know how much work goes into each and every one of those campaigns and successors and obviously one side gets the glory each year.

“They’re (premierships) very, very difficult to win and they take a lot of work and a lot of high standards to be able to get there.

“Hopefully that’s what I can bring to the club, some really high standards and some experience in what it takes and what we need to do to get there.”

Having learned from some of the AFL’s most reputable coaches in Leigh Matthews, Paul Roos and John Longmire, Blakey knows teams must evolve and build a strong culture.

“You’re learning all the time and you’ve got to be changing all the time and adapting with the time,” he said.

“I’ve been fortunate enough to work with some great people along the way and I think that’s really important … the people you have at your club are really important.

“I started at Brisbane under Leigh Matthews and that was a great learning curve for me. I was there on the end of their three-peat and was involved in a couple of grand finals down there and since I’ve been at Sydney for the last 14 years and we’ve also won a premiership and been involved in two other grand finals.

“It’s been a long sustained period of success and hopefully I can bring some of that down to the Kangas and get that sort of sustained success at the club.”

Hmmm.............how do I put this?:think:

Are you assuming that Brady had a choice?
Yeah. We all know that the Swans have hijacked the club and somehow have forced the sacking of Jade Rawlings so that they could get Johnny Blakey in the 2IC role, right behind their other mole Rhyce Shaw. They have also managed to infiltrate the recruiting department to ensure that North don't bid on Campbell because, ah, unicorns I think?

The one positive hint I got from this is that there's possibly more trades coming IN the door.

The negative is that his love for Sydney is going to influence what we do at the draft table. He's too emotionally attached to them to strategically knock them out with a bid on Campbell. When it comes to North or Sydney, he will do what's right for Sydney. It's no wonder they let him leave with their best blessings. It's magnificent timing for them.

Blakey audio this morning

GR interesting what Blakey said about being a North man and that winning premierships and achieving success solidifies that.

Got me thinking back to 2016 when we discussed Nick Blakey going to the Swans or North. Johns plan was always to return to Melbourne but to not coach his son. He gets that now and his kids gets a free shot at a career. That saying on exposed form Id rather take John as a coach over Nick the player.
Well we can't get Spargo under the current F/S rules however the other two would have to agree to come to us. Blakey is eligible for North and Brisbane for F/S, Sydney (academy) and Longmire, North (F/S) and Sydney (Academy).
Leigh Matthews for the muppet he is, along with Mick Malthouse were asked post coaching retirements to whom their allegiance was aligned to.
For Lethal he was pressed for an answer and they argued Brisbane for him heavily. Maybe the Pies too. Malthouse was thrown West Coast and Collingwood as well.
Matthews said Hawthorn. Malthouse said Richmond. Lethal said you never forget where you hurt. Where you put the boots on.
If Horse and Blakey are the North men we know they are, then their boys are only going to one club.
We hope so. Thing is, will they convince them to go to where your old man works now or where your old man worked before?
What troubles me is how both families are settled in Sydney.
Tho I recall Donald moving out of footy and into commercial operations when Luke was drafted. Maybe Horse and Blakey dont want their boys under their tutelage at the Swans?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back