• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Seeing as we finished 8th in 2017, I assume you mean when you say "we should've easily won
3 premierships" that we should've won the 2019 and this years premiership as well.

Well Richmond haven't won 3 in a row and they're based in Melbourne.
Premierships aren't won easily, especially from interstate.

I agree that Schoey and Jetta should've played, but if the MC don't think so, it's their call.
You don't give "farewell games" when the season is still on the line.

So when we won with the friends, family and flags mantra, it was genius.
Now because we've had 2 mediocre years, he's suddenly soft.

Another knee jerk reaction.

TBH, this post should be up there with the "We should trade McGovern or Barrass".

Javelin

All Australian
Jun 6, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Under Simmo we've made the Elimination Final twice, the Semi Final twice, and the Grand Final twice, for one glorious victory in 2018. Should we have had more? In my opinion, absolutely. The Elimination Finals were both at home and should have been victories. Last year's Semi should arguably have been a win, but that's 50/50 even if Willi didn't take the piss. Conversely, I'd argue that both GF appearances were a little unexpected, especially in 2015.

The reality is that the team doesn't convert a good season into a top four result, usually because of one or two bad performances against lowly teams (actually, it's mainly just been Gold Coast). Is that because of the coaching? Possibly. Buy I'd be blaming the mental fortitude of the playing group to let those situations occur. A coach can do all the right things in preparation, but if the players screw the pooch on game day there's only so much he can do to rectify it.

Let me preface this by saying I like Adam Simpson a lot. Anyway, here are all the reasons why I don’t like Adam Simpson.

Yawn.

Winning flags is extremely difficult and it turns out you’re not the only club trying to do it. Sometimes you just have to be really good and keep putting your hat in the ring, then see how the cards fall.

We’ve been one of, if not the, best team in footy under Simmo, both in terms of peak (probably bested by Richmond) and sustainability (bested by nobody). Sometimes things just don’t go right. Sometimes they all do, and you win a flag.

It’s good to be hungry, it’s good to want more, but having a tantrum and culling a good thing just because you want coaches to scream when you feel like screaming is childish.

Everybody wants to win the flag every year, that’s why winning them is so special because they’re ******* hard to get. The lack of perspective on this board is staggering.

images

- Some truly appalling team selection at times. Eg multiple Brander appearances while Waterman was overlooked.

Jake Waterman played 10 games this year from 17. He missed four with the broken hand, so assuming he was fully healthy that means there were three times Simpson could have picked Waterman and didn’t.

Brander, having played once in 2018 and twice in 2019, this season finally got selected in back to back games for the first time in his life. Eight games in total, three while Waterman was injured, and dropped before finals.

Waterman has played 39 games in the time that Brander has played 11.

Now let’s turn our attention to your post from the “changes you’d like in 2021” thread.

focus on BRANDER & CAMERON development.

But you really do like Adam Simpson, honestly.

Last edited:
Let's summarise...

In an 18 team comp Simpson has taken us to 28% of the available Grand Finals.

He is one of only 4 premiership winning coaches during his time.

The highest draft pick the club has had access to in the past decade is pick #4, where we selected Gaffy. We have had no top 10 picks since then.

I understand that it is frustrating watching our guys seemingly averse to the contest but there are plenty of teams that look fierce at the contest who suck balls *coughDeesFreocough*

Let's summarise...

In an 18 team comp Simpson has taken us to 28% of the available Grand Finals.

He is one of only 4 premiership winning coaches during his time.

The highest draft pick the club has had access to in the past decade is pick #4, where we selected Gaffy. We have had no top 10 picks since then.

I understand that it is frustrating watching our guys seemingly averse to the contest but there are plenty of teams that look fierce at the contest who suck balls *coughDeesFreocough*

But remember when Sam Mitchell threw a Gatorade bottle and single handedly won us the flag?

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
2 grand finals, including a flag, in his last 6 years with. Reinvented the game plan numerous times proving he's not a one trick pony.

He's been more successful over the last 6 years than Freo, St Kilda, GWS, GC, Bulldogs, Norf, Dees or Blues have been in the last 20 years.

Yeah sack the flog!

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Let me preface with I like Adam Simpson a lot. Honestly, I do.

However...
Simmo is just too soft

This is 1000% correct. I have said it repeatedly, on occasion, those boys need a bake at points during the season when they are playing like crap or a game is on the line.

Simpson, for whatever reason cannot or absolutely refuses to do it. Thus, one of two things need to happen:

-Simpson stops trying to play guidance counsellor and starts getting mean on occasion (highly unlikely)

Or

-He gets himself an absolute head kicker of an assistant coach to "outsource" a spray when those boys need it.

When we made the grand final in 2015 and 2018 its no accident: in 2015 we had Pike, and in 2018 we had Mitchell as chief assistant coaches. Its not the tactical part Simpson needs help with, he has that capacity in spades. The reason he needed the aforementioned assistants is that they weren't afraid to kick heads on occasion when Simpson refused to do it when needed.

As an example: Cue to 3 quarter time in the 2018 qualifying final against Collingwood: we are down with the game on the line. What happened? Sam Mitchell took the midfield boys aside and gave, from all account's, one of the all time great bakes they had ever had.

We duly won the game.

Simpson needs to either harden up, or, get himself an assistant coach with some real mongrel again.

The later scenario is infinitely more probable.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
But remember when Sam Mitchell threw a Gatorade bottle and single handedly won us the flag?

This one?

This is 1000% correct. I have said it repeatedly, on occasion, those boys need a bake at points during the season when they are playing like crap or a game is on the line.

Simpson, for whatever reason cannot or absolutely refuses to do it. Thus, one of two things need to happen:

-Simpson stops trying to play guidance counsellor and starts getting mean on occasion (highly unlikely)

Or

-He gets himself an absolute head kicker of an assistant coach to "outsource" a spray when those boys need it.

When we made the grand final in 2015 and 2018 its no accident: in 2015 we had Pike, and in 2018 we had Mitchell as chief assistant coaches. Its not the tactical part Simpson needs help with, he has that capacity in spades. The reason he needed the aforementioned assistants is that they weren't afraid to kick heads on occasion when Simpson refused to do it when needed.

As an example: Cue to 3 quarter time in the 2018 qualifying final against Collingwood: we are down with the game on the line. What happened? Sam Mitchell took the midfield boys aside and gave, from all account's, one of the all time great bakes they had ever had.

We duly won the game.

Simpson needs to either harden up, or, get himself an assistant coach with some real mongrel again.

The later scenario is infinitely more probable.

Hell Yeoh

Senior List
Jun 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Jake Waterman played 10 games this year from 17. He missed four with the broken hand, so assuming he was fully healthy that means there were three times Simpson could have picked Waterman and didn’t.

Brander, having played once in 2018 and twice in 2019, this season finally got selected in back to back games for the first time in his life. Eight games in total, three while Waterman was injured, and dropped before finals.

Waterman has played 39 games in the time that Brander has played 11.

Now let’s turn our attention to your post from the “changes you’d like in 2021” thread.

But you really do like Adam Simpson, honestly.
Brander was chosen multiple times initially before Waterman was injured, so yeah. He didn’t just come in when Waterman was injured.

All those games we could have used Waterman rather than Brander. Maybe look back at the post game threads form the early painful hub games...

For 2021, need to focus development on Brander and Cameron, especially Brander. Otherwise trade him.

And yes, I LOVE Simmo. But we’ve reached our peak with him.

Hell Yeoh

Senior List
Jun 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Let me preface this by saying I like Adam Simpson a lot. Anyway, here are all the reasons why I don’t like Adam Simpson.

Yawn.
erm... no need for hostility. I love Simpson, and I was listing reasons why we won’t be winning another flag under him...

Not a crime to have a difference of opinion.

Brander was chosen multiple times initially before Waterman was injured, so yeah. He didn’t just come in when Waterman was injured.

All those games we could have used Waterman rather than Brander. Maybe look back at the post game threads form the early painful hub games...

For 2021, need to focus development on Brander and Cameron, especially Brander. Otherwise trade him.

And yes, I LOVE Simmo. But we’ve reached our peak with him.

77549e32563fab9c079f85c8141d5528.jpg

7470f2d1339575a9d1af9d671ca2d5c5.jpg

3244cff37f6887ad2f517353f25fdb76.jpg

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
I would put it to Simpson: what do you stand for?

At what point, if your team is playing poorly, do you fire up?

At what point, does something happen to ignite so real passion and emotion in you?

The truth of the matter is this: if you scoured elite world sport, you could find quite a few "nice guy" coaches who won a title.

Nice guy coaches who have won more then one: rare.

Coaches who built a dynasty with multiple championships who refused to deliver a bake? Non existent

Hell Yeoh

Senior List
Jun 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
2 grand finals, including a flag, in his last 6 years with. Reinvented the game plan numerous times proving he's not a one trick pony.

He's been more successful over the last 6 years than Freo, St Kilda, GWS, GC, Bulldogs, Norf, Dees or Blues have been in the last 20 years.

Yeah sack the flog!
I haven’t called for him to be sacked. A handy tough assistant would be nice though... as others have said, Don Pyke and Sam Mitchell may have been the difference...

At the end of the day, the buck stops with Simmo... and I’ll gladly eat my words when he leads up to our next flag in a few years - but with our A-listers aging/aged, seeming less and less likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back