VFL Richmond VFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I can understand the financial challenges however I don’t think it’s any co incidence that our player development is like no other due to our own vfl program. I reckon it’s a massive risk going with a more expensive coach set up in lieu of own vfl side
I suppose it depends if you think your young players get more development from one on one coaching time or from playing in a more tightly controlled reserves setup.

Surely they’ll burn the AFLW team before the VFL.

Having our own strong VFL program is I think the most important factor in our current success. First year of standalone VFL was 2014, coincides pretty well with our current run of success.

People always laud our players ability to step up a level from the VFL and fit in very nicely, with very little adjustment time. This is what happens when the whole club is singing off the same sheet of music.

Great if we can cover all three teams, but I will spew up if they choose AFLW over VFL

Having our own strong VFL program is I think the most important factor in our current success. First year of standalone VFL was 2014, coincides pretty well with our current run of success.

People always laud our players ability to step up a level from the VFL and fit in very nicely, with very little adjustment time. This is what happens when the whole club is singing off the same sheet of music.

Great if we can cover all three teams, but I will spew up if they choose AFLW over VFL
VFL and AFLW are two completely different soft caps. There's no choosing between men's and women's footy going on here at all.

While our vfl team has been important for our development it is not the only reason our development has been so good. Our coaches from development to Hardwick, our Medical team for getting our guys on the field to our drafting and trading team getting the right players for our system plus the other members of our off field team. If losing our vfl & vflw teams mean we can keep as many of our off field team as possible then I’m for losing it even if it means we don’t have a vfl team until the economy picks back up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Diff budgets so that won’t be a decision

I have really enjoyed our time in the VFL as a stand-alone club. Having all players united under the same gamestyle have us a strong edge IMO. Oh well, hopefully the club will identify ways to remain competitive.

Yep 2020 has conspired against us at our time of strength.

Losing the VFL is a massive blow to our continuity of success.

That was the reason our system based play held up with injuries at times, as the VFL were playing the same program.

If a big hitter like the Richmond FC can't afford a VFL team how are ANY VFL teams viable? AFL aligned and otherwise. Is this the beginning of the end for the VFL competition?

I reckon some of Bevo's comments sound like the Bulldogs are in at this stage.

Man this is depressing, not only do we lose our second team, with the planning on capping crowds in 2021 etc I will have to put up with living in WA and listening to how they should host all AFL games again. :rolleyes:

Personally, I would have loved to see WA host the entire comp this year. Or next year. But it sounds like McGowan has been playing "hard to want", rather than "hard to get".

What's your read on it? Does the WA Govt really want it? The voting population?

Caro reporting that we won't be able to afford to run our VFL program next year, I'm assuming because of the soft cap.

She it was unlikely we would be able to run it before we got the $100k fine, but now it's a definite no.

What happens here then? We'll have to align with a VFL team unfortunately. I remember the Coburg days, and they definitely weren't fun.

Add $1 to every membership problem solved.

Add $1 to every membership problem solved.

its not cash thats the issue. its the fine has to come out of our soft cap in 2021 thats the issue

Stack and CCJ ****ed us, and the AFLPA double penetrated by pushing the fines back to us to pay

I think the VFL not only important for the development, but also in getting our fringe to feel like being a part of the RFC - Coburg to Richmond should have clearly illustrated that - i'd get rid of coaches before VFL as i rate it more important to the players, and the brand.

its not cash thats the issue. its the fine has to come out of our soft cap in 2021 thats the issue

Stack and CCJ f’ed us, and the AFLPA double penetrated by pushing the fines back to us to pay
Its a soft cap tho, you can go over it. It just costs you.

Thats why hes saying add $1 on to every membership. I think its $1 for every $1 you go over?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back