Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh another one of these threads hey? Should have just bumped CCs one.

I definitely have issues regarding selection but I won't go into that here as my thoughts have been posted in other threads, but Simmo is the man for us. If JK slots one of his 4 behinds and we win by 4 points instead of losing by 1 does this thread still get posted? No it doesn't.

I would put it to Simpson: what do you stand for?

At what point, if your team is playing poorly, do you fire up?

At what point, does something happen to ignite so real passion and emotion in you?

The truth of the matter is this: if you scoured elite world sport, you could find quite a few "nice guy" coaches who won a title.

Nice guy coaches who have won more then one: rare.

Coaches who built a dynasty with multiple championships who refused to deliver a bake? Non existent

We get it, you want to smash your TV when the sport team you chose doesn’t play well, so anyone who doesn’t must be weak.

Get the bloke from Slipknot in to really scream at the campaigners and we’ll walk this league.

Such a reductive way of viewing things - if you don’t smash a hole in the wall you don’t have passion or pride.

And anyway, didn’t I see posts about Simmo going after them during the Pies game?

77549e32563fab9c079f85c8141d5528.jpg

7470f2d1339575a9d1af9d671ca2d5c5.jpg

3244cff37f6887ad2f517353f25fdb76.jpg
Yup, in this instance, with the hub and how games were going badly, was not the point for Brander development.

clearly he was dropped “injured”, then simply not selected once Waterman came in and excelled. So what are you even on about?

However, in a season with better structure and WAFL, then absolutely develop the kid or move him on. Why develop him in a season where even vets are struggling... what does that do for his confidence?

Ugh another one of these threads hey? Should have just bumped CCs one.

I definitely have issues regarding selection but I won't go into that here as my thoughts have been posted in other threads, but Simmo is the man for us. If JK slots one of his 4 behinds and we win by 4 points instead of losing by 1 does this thread still get posted? No it doesn't.
Tbf I don’t think losing the elimination final is the reason for people questioning Simmo.

It’s missing top 4 two years in a row with a list that’s easily better than that.

Yup, in this instance, with the hub and how games were going badly, was not the point for Brander development.

clearly he was dropped “injured”, then simply not selected once Waterman came in and excelled. So what are you even on about?

However, in a season with better structure and WAFL, then absolutely develop the kid or move him on. Why develop him in a season where even vets are struggling... what does that do for his confidence?

This is such hindsight logic.

If the season played out identically but Brander hadn’t played a game, people would be sitting here saying “young players getting a chance helped us in 2018, we’ve got a first round pick and he hasn’t even tried him, wasted a year, what’s the point.”

They played him in Round 1 in Perth, his first ever home game. We won. Covid hit. He played the first three hub games then didn’t come back until the middle/end of the season, during most of which time Waterman was out hurt.

Brander was picked once, then covid, then three times, then a late in for Elliot Yeo (alongside Waterman). After that he played while Waterman was hurt, and got dropped once we got back to anywhere near full strength. Where is the issue in any of that?

Simmo has backed in Waterman, rightfully so, time and time again over Brander. It’s a bizarre hill to die on, when he’s done what you’ve asked and you’re still criticising him for not doing what you’ve asked.

If you can honestly tell me you wouldn’t have had an issue with getting to the end of this season and Jarrod Brander has three games to his name, I’d be surprised, and to make it out as some “Waterman vs Brander” debate when Simmo has constantly backed in Waterman throughout his tenure is astonishing.

We get it, you want to smash your TV when the sport team you chose doesn’t play well, so anyone who doesn’t must be weak.

Get the bloke from Slipknot in to really scream at the campaigners and we’ll walk this league.

Such a reductive way of viewing things - if you don’t smash a hole in the wall you don’t have passion or pride.

And anyway, didn’t I see posts about Simmo going after them during the Pies game?

He "went off" as much as he could (which isnt much)

As I said, if you looked at every AFL coach with 2 or more premierships to their name, they were head kickers. Don't take my word for it, i assure you, go and look.

I understand that the modern game is about building relationships, but Simpson has gone too far with it. To me, he is too close to the playing group.

Its one thing to be close to the players, but i am sure the majority of the board would concur that their have been occasions our side needs a roast and for whatever reason, Simpson just isnt up to the task.

Tbf I don’t think losing the elimination final is the reason for people questioning Simmo.

It’s missing top 4 two years in a row with a list that’s easily better than that.

When the side has simply had to grit it's teeth and get the W to lock up top 4 we have succumbed. Then that has been the difference between going deep into finals and making an early exit.

Bulldogs this year and Tiges or Hawthorn last year. We were out of time and fell short of the mark.

I understand the frustration but I doubt the coach is what's holding us back at this point.

So let me get this right,

Simpson is criticised for not having coached a superteam and not made super men off players that simply can’t be the best in competition.

In that case, change threat of title to “we will never win a premiership with a Coach”.

We lost by a point in a cracking game. And people want changes everywhere...just to make up that point.

More kicking practise would achieve same result.

I haven’t called for him to be sacked.

So you started a thread calling him a softy and saying we will NOT win another premiership under him.

But you’re not calling for him to be sacked.

So you don’t want to win another premiership I take it. Pretty soft attitude.

So you started a thread calling him a softy and saying we will NOT win another premiership under him.

He wants Simpson to get a farewell year

As I said, if you looked at every AFL coach with 2 or more premierships to their name, they were head kickers. Don't take my word for it, i assure you, go and look.

Bomber Thompson? Mr Chilled-out ice man who once tucked into a chicken sanga in the coaches box?

Can’t remember him being a ranting hot head

Certainly. He needs a good (tough) assistant. We’ve got the players (for now).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we can win another premiership under him?

So why’d you start a thread saying we would NOT?

So in a few years time if we don’t he can bump it for a victory lap.

Safest thing in the world though, claiming your coach won’t win a flag. Statistically it’s absurdly likely. If this thread was made about Chris Scott in 2011, imagine how many times it would have been triumphantly bumped by now. Or Beveridge. Or Longmire. And that’s before we get to the coaches who haven’t won flags.

Safest bet in footy is *insert current coach* not wining a flag.

I haven’t called for him to be sacked. A handy tough assistant would be nice though... as others have said, Don Pyke and Sam Mitchell may have been the difference...

Don Pyke and Sam Mitchell clearly would have been the difference. They’re both synonymous with success. That’s why Adelaide finished in the top 12 in each of Pyke’s last two years and why Hawthorn have finished in the top 15 in both seasons since Mitchell rejoined them. And why neither club lost a final in that time. You can’t argue with results.

Simmo has long s**t me to tears personality wise, introverted personality who comes across as apathetic when his players fall short. I actually don't doubt that behind closed doors he's a massive campaigner when he needs to be. The playing group has all the potential in the world, and year in and year out we have the talent to make and challenge in finals. When the whips are cracking, it feels like we have wasted more opportunities than we have converted. 2018 was glorious, but despite being mostly the same playing group- or actually a weaker playing group than usual considering the outs- for whatever reason that finals series we played out of our skins and got the ultimate reward. Hard to watch as a fan when it doesn't happen every year as talent wise we only seem to be getting more and more blessed. The stats say Simpson is the most successful coach of his time in the game across most metric, 6 years of being contenders and 1 flag still feels like an underachievement though. Its almost the exact same situation as when Worsfold was in charge, coach seems like he is disinterested so gets all the blame. Finals series are about the players though, no coach can go out there and kick the clutch goal or nail the tackle that needs to be made or execute the play that just needs to be executed. This group has always struggled with that side of the game and the reality is that its actually nobodies business but their own, once put in a position where its do or die their performance is between them and their god. its extremely rare to find a list full of blokes who have that kind of killer mentality that delivers teams multiple premierships back to back or close together. Our blokes don't have it, or if they do they are still yet to find it. Simmo stays, rotate in fresh assistants who know what it takes to be part of a premiership dynasty and consistently put it on the players that the systems only get you so far, after that its 100% personal responsibility [Mitchell, Pike... Worsfold]

So we can win another premiership under him?

So why’d you start a thread saying we would NOT?
Because we won’t, unfortunately.

Wishful thinking that all our problems will magically disappear next year, especially given the age profile of our key players.

When you see the same strange (not beneficial) habits creep into another season, massive red flag. Albeit an asterisk season.

Why are we the team most adversely affected by QLD / wet conditions? All those footy experts at the club can’t implement anything but a kick-mark style to counter unfavourable conditions? How many years have we been the worst at ground-ball gets? Tackles?

Other teams know about our aerial prowess, and post 2018 have countered it. If they can adjust, why can’t we?

Would love nothing more than for this thread to backfire on me and we win a flag next year.

There’s a lot more positives out this season with regards to players than negatives. Waterman, Ryan, Allen, Duggan, Nelson and to a lesser extent Rotham performed well and will continue to grow. And the midfield under performed so I expect more next year

Because we won’t, unfortunately.

“We will NOT win a premiership under softy Simpson.“

“But I’m not calling for him to be sacked.“

“We could win a premiership if we get the right assistant under him.”

“But we won’t.”

Can’t be any clearer than that.

So in a few years time if we don’t he can bump it for a victory lap.

Safest thing in the world though, claiming your coach won’t win a flag. Statistically it’s absurdly likely. If this thread was made about Chris Scott in 2011, imagine how many times it would have been triumphantly bumped by now. Or Beveridge. Or Longmire. And that’s before we get to the coaches who haven’t won flags.

Safest bet in footy is *insert current coach* not wining a flag.
So you’re content with missing out on top 4 two years in a row, despite our ridiculous talent? When you know stars like Nic Nat, Shep, Shuey are essentially on borrowed time? And JK and Hurn on the way out?

The only victory lap I’ll be doing is when we win... or at least lose competitively. (The first three hub losses were not competitive losses at all). That’s the issue - at times just not turning up... team looking lethargic, old, and slow.

Not expecting the team to win all the time, but always be competitive, and more importantly, so much less predictable. I put the predictability down to Simmo.

“We will NOT win a premiership under softy Simpson.“

“But I’m not calling for him to be sacked.“

“We could win a premiership if we get the right assistant under him.”

“But we won’t.”

Can’t be any clearer than that.
Crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back