Toast 2021 Leadership Group - Heppell (captain), Hurley, Merrett, McGrath (joint vice-captains)

Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
1611131146501.png

Heppell Captain.

Leadership group Hurley, Merrett and McGrath.

Shook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zerrett is ready. I would ask him and if he says no, I would go to next in line.

No way is Pigeon ready. Look how it worked for $cully and Trengove.
Scully was never captain and Trengove had severe injuries.

Zerrett is ready. I would ask him and if he says no, I would go to next in line.

No way is Pigeon ready. Look how it worked for $cully and Trengove.

im not sure about merret being captain.

His efforts can get very questionable at times IMO and if he doesn't iron that out i'm not sure how he is supposed to motivate the rest of the boys.

Hencho

All Australian
Jun 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Keep Heppell as captain...prior to his recent run of injuries he was the only player who'd consistently run hard both ways...need your captain setting that standard. He'll get back to where he was and if he doesn't after an extended injury-free run at it, then you consider other options.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
C Merrett
VC Shiel
LG Saad, McGrath, Stringer

I think it'll bring out the best of Zach. Give it to Pigeon after Merrett has had it for 2 years. Id prefer Heppell concerntrate on himself. Can still lead with his actions

If Merrett wants out I don't want him in the leadership group. He better be signing a long term contract before that's happening.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
If Merrett wants out I don't want him in the leadership group. He better be signing a long term contract before that's happening.
wouldn't surprise me if the loss of the leadership position might have him a little disenchanted.

that's quite the vote of no confidence in you as a young leader. and given what we tend to dish up as a club, i'd be more than a little miffed.

For a guy who regularly polls well in coaches votes, BnFs (holds 2 of them), and is largely recognised as a young gun of the game.
Who stepped into the leadership when the club got most it's players suspended and captained us to 1 of the 2 wins that year
And we add a couple of new additions to the club and someone who has coasted on a single goal

The exclusion of Merrett was the first in many things that was wrong this year.

westking

Cancelled
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Whoever happens to be winning
With reports of in-fighting, abuse and divisions amongst the playing group, I believe its time for Dyson to step back. He has barley been on the ground last few years, and if these reports are true he is not doing a 'stirling' job off field either.

Another thing that many dismiss, but it grinds my gears a little is that report about him ringing Saad and begging/requesting him to reconsider and stay. Im sure this has occurred a few times already over the years. Melkshem and Hibbered??
If a player wants out he wants out. Bye bye and all the best. For Dyson (or anyone else at the club) to believe he can sway a player to stay by saying a few words, is delusional. To me it speaks volumes of how they rate themselves internally as opposed to what the rest of the universe thinks.

Its obvious a re-set of the club is needed in the on field leadership aspect too.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
With reports of in-fighting, abuse and divisions amongst the playing group, I believe its time for Dyson to step back. He has barley been on the ground last few years, and if these reports are true he is not doing a 'stirling' job off field either.

Another thing that many dismiss, but it grinds my gears a little is that report about him ringing Saad and begging/requesting him to reconsider and stay. Im sure this has occurred a few times already over the years. Melkshem and Hibbered??
If a player wants out he wants out. Bye bye and all the best. For Dyson (or anyone else at the club) to believe he can sway a player to stay by saying a few words, is delusional. To me it speaks volumes of how they rate themselves internally as opposed to what the rest of the universe thinks.

Its obvious a re-set of the club is needed in the on field leadership aspect too.
our culture has been in a tailspin since he took over.. maybe it's his fault, maybe it isn't (i don't trust someone who microwaves a steak)

Full reset
Truck picks his lieutenants & that's the leadership group.
Clear message from coach to LG to players.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Is it too early to give it to McGrath
would think. Let the kid develop.

Thinking:
C: Shiel
VC: McGrath & Merrett

By all account Shiel trains hard and has some pretty high personal standards.
Challenge him to rub that off on the young group coming through and getting either of McGrath/Merrett ready to take it next and the other to be VC

Jul 19, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
This was on Blitz, Q1 is a question I often pondered - thoughts???????

1/ WIth the review showing the stark differences in Worsfold’s empowerment methodology vs Rutten’s no compromise ruthless methodology - I would be VERY interested to see which methodology was used to determine the leadership group last year.

2/ I’d be very very surprised if Zach is not straight back into the leadership group, and should really be captain and driving the no compromised ruthless standards we need to climb back up the ladder.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon

1/ WIth the review showing the stark differences in Worsfold’s empowerment methodology vs Rutten’s no compromise ruthless methodology - I would be VERY interested to see which methodology was used to determine the leadership group last year.

2/ I’d be very very surprised if Zach is not straight back into the leadership group, and should really be captain and driving the no compromised ruthless standards we need to climb back up the ladder.
I have never seen anything from Merrett that suggests he has any particular leadership ability. Good player doesn’t equal good leader.

with all do respect to Merrett, he cant even put these standards on himself let alone on others.........he is a pretty pea hearted defensive runner.

Happy for him to be captain if he's up for it but he needs to first sign a long term deal and then he needs to make sure he is capable of delivering what he expects of others.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
One thing I would ditch - and I think it fits with this approach, so probably will be - is the playing group selecting leaders.

Not sure what extent they’ve had a say in the past, but I wouldn’t be giving them one. You don’t pick your own leader. Go tell your CEO who youre having as your manager, see what they say.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
One thing I would ditch - and I think it fits with this approach, so probably will be - is the playing group selecting leaders.

Not sure what extent they’ve had a say in the past, but I wouldn’t be giving them one. You don’t pick your own leader. Go tell your CEO who youre having as your manager, see what they say.
Totally agree.

Back