2020 NHL Offseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 4, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Stars, Chargers
1 week after Tampa winning the Cup as 19/20 champions we commence the offseason this week.

1) Draft Wednesday/Thursday

Main Stories

Lafreniere a foregone conclusion at 1
Ottawa with 2 picks in top 5 and 3 in first round will shape the draft
New Jersey also with 3 picks likely to move around
Who goes 2nd Byfield or Stuetzle?
Does Askarov go top 10?
Liklihood for major trades

2) Free Agency starts Saturday

Biggest fish

Pietrangelo
Hall
Krug
Goalie carousel

Going to be a wild week

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
NJ will be an interesting team to watch. Three first round picks and a ton of cap space.

Tampa is the obvious other one. How the hell are they going to get under the cap. Personally, I think they should trade Cirelli. He could fetch a huge haul with the likes of Detroit, Minnesota, Winnipeg needing a 2C.

Jun 4, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Stars, Chargers
Montreal and Columbus trade.

Domi and a 3rd to Columbus for Josh Anderson

If Anderson is healthy he could be a 30 goal power forward, but tbere is some risk after an injury plagued season.

Domi a good fit for CBJ, sitting as the 2c behind Pierre Luc Dubous

May 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle

If Anderson is healthy he could be a 30 goal power forward, but tbere is some risk after an injury plagued season.

I like it. Domi not happy playing wing, Canadiens have a plethora of talent up the middle. Big winger is a necessity for Montréal.

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
Sucks not having Pick 3... so we get Dubnyk instead. Terrible management by Doug Wilson to be honest.

You got Ozzy Wiesblatt in pick 31 in the First Round, though. Wasn't that the pick that we traded you to get Barclay Goodrow?

Think you got a good one.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
The Canucks are looking into trading for Oliver Ekman-Larsson

So Jim Benning still sucks
it occurs to me that I should probably put myself on the line instead of just slugging Benning again and again. So for the Canucks, our current situation is:

- Spent most of the last 5 years sucking bad
- Made the 2nd round of the playoffs, but a lot of our metrics were not playoff worthy - 23rd in Corsi and 20th in Fenwick. 25th in Shots For%. 20th in Goals For% and 23rd in Expected Goals, in keeping with the long term trend of sucking. But we were 12th in good ole PDO, meaning we got great goaltending and stronger than expected shooting percentage. We've seen this tale before with Toronto, Calgary and Colorado in recent years. Team flukes a playoff appearance, gets close in a series/wins a series, completely overrates where they're at, does dumb s**t
- We are in cap hell, despite sucking. We have 3 major UFAs (Markstorm, Tanev and our stupid deadline day acquisition Toffoli) and one RFA with arbitration rights in Virtanen, who likely net a higher price than what we would want to offer
- no draft picks until round 3
- we have the following bad contracts which I believe they're looking to remove
Baertschi (1 year/3.6M)
Sutton (1 year/4.3M with modified-NTC)
Eriksson (2 year/6M with modified-NTC & can't be bought out until the last year due to structure of contract)
Ferland (3 years/3.5M with NMC but likely heading to Robidas Island due to concussions)
Beagle (2 years/3M with modified-NTC & oh my god this bloody contract)
Roussel (1 year/3M with modified-NTC)
plus Myers (4 years/6M with modified-NTC) which they haven't admitted is bad yet, but it is. it's very bad.

So, speaking of the Leafs, a lot of our current situation reminds me of the famous Dave Nonis vs a Potato article from 7 years ago, where a potato incapable of making decisions would have outperformed the Toronto GM. I reckon our likely best course of action is to just ride it out, keep our heads low and work towards two years in the future when many of our bad contracts are gone. We shouldn't be afraid of missing the playoffs next season. But Big Jim isn't gonna do that. He's gonna try to clean the contracts he signed so he can sign new bad contracts or trade for players on bad contracts.

So of the 3 UFAs, I'd rather lose all of them than sign all of them. But breaking it down:
- Markstorm should be let go, but we're trying to keep. He's gonna want too high a AAV and too long of a contract. It's not worth the long term risk. Go with Demko, if he spuds it up, who cares, back in the lottery we go. But a 5 or 6 year Markstrom deal? Lovely guy, but....
- Tanev should be let go, and he will be. I don't think we've made an offer yet. Lovely guy again, love him. He's not very good anymore. If he wants to sign for 2 or 3M......
- Toffoli is probably the one I'd be most prepared to over-pay, but I'm not dying to. I think he's heading to the market anyway, although I think we're hoping he listens to our last offer before signing.

So that's part one. The next part is Big Jim wants to improve our defence because it stinks. This is a problem mainly because he has not shown himself to very good at this (see: Sibsa, Gudbranson, Del Zotto, Benn, Myers). We're linked to two names in particular:
- Oliver Ekman-Larsson
- Tyson Barrie

So the Yotes are trying to get rid of OEL's contract because they're poor, as always. He's got 7 years at 8.25M with a full NMC. He's 29yo. he's only waiving for Boston and the Canucks. For me, the contract is just too long. The stat nerds say he's already slipping from being a number 1 defender to a 2/3 guy, and while a change of system may work in his favour, I just don't think it works for the Canucks, unless the Yotes retain salary, which why would they. The appeal for Benning is that he gets his defender & is likely able to ship Eriksson away, and maybe another bad contract. But we'd also have to add draft picks, which Benning has bled like crazy ever since he got here. I prefer to just ride out Eriksson and co instead of acquiring a contract that in 4 years time we're trying to get rid of and can't. It's a no for me, unless it's an insanely favorable deal

Barrie is a free agent from good old British Columbia. We tried to get him before he got dealt to Toronto so we'll likely go for him again. But we've already got a top offensive defenceman in Hughes, so Barrie loses his appeal. short of a mega home town discount, it's again no thanks. If he wants a short term deal (1 or 2 years) on a big AAV in an attempt to do a better UFA audition, I'll listen

So those are some thoughts. Basically, for the love of god Jim, be a potato.

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils

If Anderson
is healthy he could be a 30 goal power forward, but tbere is some risk after an injury plagued season.

Addendum to that: Josh Anderson just signed a 7-year $38.5-million contract with the Habs. I'm guessing 5.5-Million P/Y

Remove this Banner Ad

Back