News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Because there were concerns about Willies mental health and wellbeing and his ability to go through the process in an expedited fashion.

"Technically there are provisions for an expedited hearing but my understanding is (it won't be)," McLachlan replied on 3AW on Friday when asked if there was any chance the investigation could finish before the Grand Final.

"The priority for West Coast and for us is Willie's mental health ... that's not something that's in contemplation.

"He has been provisionally suspended while ASADA continues their investigation and the case comes to a head.

"These things take some time and this is clearly something that's different from the standard ones so I'm sure it will take some time."

I didn't know it was a joint AFL/ASADA investigation. That changes things in my mind. Ideally there's some consensus within that investigation that ensures he misses this years finals and that's the penalty served. The alternative that the AFL is involved in an investigation that has mentally tortured a bloke for 12 months spanning two finals series before delivering a likely career ending penalty.

I didn't know it was a joint AFL/ASADA investigation. That changes things in my mind. Ideally there's some consensus within that investigation that ensures he misses this years finals and that's the penalty served. The alternative that the AFL is involved in an investigation that has mentally tortured a bloke for 12 months spanning two finals series before delivering a likely career ending penalty.

There will be a hearing in front of the AFL Anti Doping Tribunal. ASADA will present a case that Willie contravened ASADA rules and will put forward a penalty they think is fair given the facts of the case. QC David Grace will present his case, which is highly unlikely to dispute the facts, or any wrong doing, but will be centred around mitigating factors.

The AFL tribunal will hand down a penalty they think is fair. They will need to ensure that the penalty is satisfactory in ASADA's view, otherwise ASADA may challenge the ruling and it could play out all of next year too.

To me 12 months feels too light. Anywhere from 15-24 months is probably the sweet spot in my view. 18 months would allow him to play from March 12 (i.e. round 1) and return to the club one month before his ban ends (February 12).

There will be a hearing in front of the AFL Anti Doping Tribunal. ASADA will present a case that Willie contravened ASADA rules and will put forward a penalty they think is fair given the facts of the case. QC David Grace will present his case, which is highly unlikely to dispute the facts, or any wrong doing, but will be centred around mitigating factors.

The AFL tribunal will hand down a penalty they think is fair. They will need to ensure that the penalty is satisfactory in ASADA's view, otherwise ASADA may challenge the ruling and it could play out all of next year too.

To me 12 months feels too light. Anywhere from 15-24 months is probably the sweet spot in my view. 18 months would allow him to play from March 12 (i.e. round 1) and return to the club one month before his ban ends (February 12).

Lets hope you are right.

The penalty you detail sounds right to me. But i am bias.

I just can't see them (based on the info we have) giving him 4 years. The AFL wouldn't accept that.

But I also can't see that the look over a March end date has really only cost him 1 year of playing (plus our final to geelong) and im not sure they will be happy with that?

As noted, Rioli will face an AFL tribunal. Their job in reality will be to find a penalty long enough that ASADA won't look to appeal it to the CAS, but short enough to keep Willie in the game. The Rioli's are footballing royalty and there would be quite some fallout if Wille was given the full whack.

All that said, I reckon the number that gets the job done is 2 years, allowing him to return to the club in late July next year, and maybe even take part in finals if the finals are pushed out again by the mooted 28 round season.

As noted, Rioli will face an AFL tribunal. Their job in reality will be to find a penalty long enough that ASADA won't look to appeal it to the CAS, but short enough to keep Willie in the game. The Rioli's are footballing royalty and there would be quite some fallout if Wille was given the full whack.

All that said, I reckon the number that gets the job done is 2 years, allowing him to return to the club in late July next year, and maybe even take part in finals if the finals are pushed out again by the mooted 28 round season.

While I agree that may well be the penalty, in my mind it explains why American pro sports organisation retain their own controls over bans and penalties because a 2 year ban for a stupid act like in a non international sport is way overs.

In, say, the NFL he’d have received increased testing, maybe a 2 game ban and a significant fine plus he’d be monitored under their recreational drug policy. Or we could ban him forever and lose him to the sport because he smokes weed.

I understand the WADA code but don’t believe it belongs in our sport.

While I agree that may well be the penalty, in my mind it explains why American pro sports organisation retain their own controls over bans and penalties because a 2 year ban for a stupid act like in a non international sport is way overs.

In, say, the NFL he’d have received increased testing, maybe a 2 game ban and a significant fine plus he’d be monitored under their recreational drug policy. Or we could ban him forever and lose him to the sport because he smokes weed.

I understand the WADA code but don’t believe it belongs in our sport.
you either dont tolerate PED or they are compulsory for all competitors.

you either dont tolerate PED or they are compulsory for all competitors.

Weed as performance enhancing drug is highly doubtful. The problem with WADA and its code is its overly prescriptive, in part, because of the political environment it operates in. I’m of the view that a professional sporting code that operates only in Oz is entirely capable of having a drug code that reflects Australian values and priorities and punishes PED use in that context.

Weed as performance enhancing drug is highly doubtful. The problem with WADA and its code is its overly prescriptive, in part, because of the political environment it operates in. I’m of the view that a professional sporting code that operates only in Oz is entirely capable of having a drug code that reflects Australian values and priorities and punishes PED use in that context.
Forget the weed it is trivial. His major problem is sample tampering and that is a massive problem. Why - its blindingly logical.

Forget the weed it is trivial. His major problem is sample tampering and that is a massive problem. Why - its blindingly logical.

Yes. But they’ve had a year to investigate and they had another life test shortly after. So if he was hiding anything (more than weed) then they know already and he gets what’s coming - assuming its a PED. Tampering with a test is fatal under WADA because international politics and international BS. I get that. Thats why the code has no proper place in an Australian professional sport outside that context.

Blindingly logical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. But they’ve had a year to investigate and they had another life test shortly after. So if he was hiding anything (more than weed) then they know already and he gets what’s coming - assuming its a PED. Tampering with a test is fatal under WADA because international politics and international BS. I get that. Thats why the code has no proper place in an Australian professional sport outside that context.

Blindingly logical.
It fatal because it is the perfect cover up for PED. On any continent.

I wouldn't be surprised if ASADA and the Eagles have come to a mutual agreement by the time of the trail, via a mitigation process. I remember reading an interview with Willie's family last year saying they'd been given information which made them hopeful the penalty would be a lot less than the maximum. But who knows? It wasn't really first-hand information.

Talking about Venables - What is the latest on him medically - as haven't heard anything of late. It would be a real tragedy if he is lost to the game.
He still had sporadic symptoms before the start of the season, but was training well. Once covid hit they made the call to pull the pin. My assumption is they took an overly cautious approach assuming the season would be a write off. I think he will play again.

May in introduce you to the term - self inflicted wound

I know things are still up in the air but what is the earliest he is likely to return? The game is better with Riolis in it. He's a great player to watch, hope he gets back soon.

I know things are still up in the air but what is the earliest he is likely to return? The game is better with Riolis in it. He's a great player to watch, hope he gets back soon.
There are 178 pages of speculation for you to go through here mate. To save you some reading, the first 2 pages are a summary of all 178 where everyone has taken their guess ranging from "he'll be back to play in the 2019 Premiership' to "he will get chemical castration and 20 years on Naru".

No one is any the wiser nor will they be until the hearing in November. The earliest possible is round 1 next year if he gets 18 months.

If he got 18 months he would be lining up next March.

Many suspect he will get somewhere between 2 years and the max whack though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back