11 - [PLAYERCARD]David Zaharakis[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2021
Last Game Played: Round 19, 2021 (omit)

Injury Status: n/a

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I’d say a fairly large portion of the 800 players in the league are pretty happy to just be AFL players tbh. They don’t have leadership aspirations, and are not talented enough to singlehandedly win a premiership or even to chase one from club to club.
I strongly refute that. Yes some players dont have enough talent to win a premiership on their own, but when they feel apart of something (the sense of belonging) they buy in and give 100%. Look at some of the players that have played in flags at richmond they are no world beaters, but they would die for the cause. Players like Broad, Baker, Lambert, Aarts, Castanga, Graham, butler when he was there - they werent superstars but bought in. It's got nothing to do with age, its mindset and apart of a players personality. You hear the way rowell speak about the young group coming through at gold coast, and how that group craves success and want to create something special and leave a legacy at the club.

I strongly refute that. Yes some players dont have enough talent to win a premiership on their own, but when they feel apart of something (the sense of belonging) they buy in and give 100%. Look at some of the players that have played in flags at richmond they are no world beaters, but they would die for the cause. Players like Broad, Baker, Lambert, Aarts, Castanga, Graham, butler when he was there - they werent superstars but bought in. It's got nothing to do with age, its mindset and apart of a players personality. You hear the way rowell speak about the young group coming through at gold coast, and how that group craves success and want to create something special and leave a legacy at the club.
Exactly. “When they feel a sense of belonging they buy in and give 100%.” Jacob Townsend is a perfect example of a guy who is lucky to be on a list and happy to be on a list, and with luck he became a premiership player. Every club has them, and you can have a team full of them and it’s not a problem. I.e. Hawthorn 09-15.

We need leadership.

McGrath is just as good as Rowell. When I said he’s too young I meant I’d want him to take his game to the next level before being saddled with the responsibility. We don’t have anyone in their prime that ticks all the boxes.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Exactly. “When they feel a sense of belonging they buy in and give 100%.” Jacob Townsend is a perfect example of a guy who is lucky to be on a list and happy to be on a list, and with luck he became a premiership player. Every club has them, and you can have a team full of them and it’s not a problem. I.e. Hawthorn 09-15.

We need leadership.

McGrath is just as good as Rowell. When I said he’s too young I meant I’d want him to take his game to the next level before being saddled with the responsibility. We don’t have anyone in their prime that ticks all the boxes.
Yes i agree we need more stronger leadership at the club, but players should take pride in their performance regardless of leadership. You think the rowells, mcgraths, walshs type of personalities need leadership to rock up and give 100% on the weekend, no. It's the type of kids you draft and who they are as people, if you get enough of them, the culture will shift as you have more like minded players who are there for the same reason and the ones who dont buy in will get weeded out. Brasher referred to it during his speech last week, i was thinking about time someone has said it. Its been so clear that we have lacked it for years.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Does he still reckon we have built a strong culture?
"Everyone is buying into what we're trying to build and I think the footy club right now is in a really strong position – stronger than what it's been in the last 12 years," Zaharakis said.

The chief propagandist has returned.

PCL surgery... 👀 I wonder how long he's had a PCL tear/deficiency/something wrong with it?

While Zaharakis has recovered from the high-grade quad tendon strain that cut short his 2020 season, the veteran has had a delayed start to pre-season after undergoing surgery on his posterior cruciate ligament (PCL).

Murphy said Zaharakis was ticking the boxes in his recovery.

“Zacka had PCL surgery over the off-season. He’s in a really good spot at the moment. All his strength markers are where we want them to be,” he said.

“He’s starting to build his loads from a running perspective. Hopefully over the next four to five weeks he’ll start to integrate back into the main group and be in full skills training.”

PCL surgery... 👀 I wonder how long he's had a PCL tear/deficiency/something wrong with it?

May explain some of the form issues.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

it was the PCL on the defensive forward flank of his knee so noone noticed

May explain some of the form issues.

You'd hope so, but would also be really disappointing if it was bung and it wasn't picked up earlier.

Jul 19, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon

Injured Bomber Zaharakis making solid progress

Forgotten Essendon veteran David Zaharakis is building up his running in rehab a month out from the Bombers pre-season practice match against Geelong, as he recovers from off-season posterior cruciate ligament surgery.

It remains unclear when the 30-year-old will be back on the track for the Bombers, having recovered from the quad injury that finished his season in August. However, a club source confirmed he was making solid progress.

The Bombers will not rush Zaharakis back as he looks to find a role to extend his career beyond the end of this season.

Jul 19, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Probably got his injuries by setting the BAR to high :moustache:

David Zaharakis slid into new girlfriend Amy Pejkovic’s DMs during lockdown
Glamorous high jumper and in-demand model Amy Pejkovic has revealed she met new AFL beau David Zaharakis via Instagram.

Glamorous high jumper and in-demand model Amy Pejkovic can thank the COVID lockdown for her romance with an AFL high flyer.
Pejkovic, who is also a triple jumper and brand ambassador, is dating Essendon half forward David Zaharakis.

The pair met over Instagram during last year’s COVID-19 lockdown when Pejkovic was in Sydney and Zaharakis was in Queensland in the Bombers’ AFL hub.

And yes, he did slide into Pejkovic’s DMs to strike up a conversation with it being a post about F1 motor racing that caused him to hit send on that fateful first message.

“We were talking/FaceTiming for three months and then I flew down to meet him when borders opened,” Pejkovic said.

“And now here we are.”

Pejkovic, who is based in Sydney, is a frequent visitor to Melbourne.

The athlete and fashion plate, 28, overcame a terrifying brain tumour at the age of 19.

She previously dated footballer Adam Tomlinson.

Zaharakis, 30, is Essendon’s most experienced player with 217 senior games under his belt.

Probably got his injuries by setting the BAR to high :moustache:

David Zaharakis slid into new girlfriend Amy Pejkovic’s DMs during lockdown
Glamorous high jumper and in-demand model Amy Pejkovic has revealed she met new AFL beau David Zaharakis via Instagram.

Glamorous high jumper and in-demand model Amy Pejkovic can thank the COVID lockdown for her romance with an AFL high flyer.
Pejkovic, who is also a triple jumper and brand ambassador, is dating Essendon half forward David Zaharakis.

The pair met over Instagram during last year’s COVID-19 lockdown when Pejkovic was in Sydney and Zaharakis was in Queensland in the Bombers’ AFL hub.

And yes, he did slide into Pejkovic’s DMs to strike up a conversation with it being a post about F1 motor racing that caused him to hit send on that fateful first message.

“We were talking/FaceTiming for three months and then I flew down to meet him when borders opened,” Pejkovic said.

“And now here we are.”

Pejkovic, who is based in Sydney, is a frequent visitor to Melbourne.

The athlete and fashion plate, 28, overcame a terrifying brain tumour at the age of 19.

She previously dated footballer Adam Tomlinson.

Zaharakis, 30, is Essendon’s most experienced player with 217 senior games under his belt.
So he did a Patton risky move

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Its pretty obvious that the role that could extend Zaka's career with us is on the half forward flank. We don't have that many quality small forwards and he's always been an attacking type player and a good finisher. Give up this idea of him being a lockdown forward or even worse a defender and we may yet get a few decent years out of him. Its not really like he'd be keeping anyone out of the side either - we probably need to draft some more small forwards (and midfielders with our top pick) in our next draft.

carloss

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2007
around
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
Its pretty obvious that the role that could extend Zaka's career with us is on the half forward flank. We don't have that many quality small forwards and he's always been an attacking type player and a good finisher. Give up this idea of him being a lockdown forward or even worse a defender and we may yet get a few decent years out of him. Its not really like he'd be keeping anyone out of the side either - we probably need to draft some more small forwards (and midfielders with our top pick) in our next draft.

To be honest, he could be competing against Parish, Langford, Laverde, Caldwell, Smith, Snelling, Jones and Perkins for that role.
I'd probably see him last on that list.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
I’m hoping Zaka can get himself fit and healthy and at least be putting pressure on the group for a 22 position. He’s been a good servant of EFC and it’d be great to see him playing some top tier footy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back