Michael Christian is having a shocking run, he and the AFL need to do better

I could get it if they ruled the bump as intentional/low/high, but ruling on "potential for injury" isn't really fair given what has happened to bumps prior. Maybe if they changed the rules about it at the end of the season it would've been fine enough but you can't realistically suspend him while Pickett and Rohan types are only fined.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
He's meant to tackle, it's not a difficult question.

You can argue the medium impact but you run that gauntlet when you bump and get a player high rather than tackle.
Going buy the rules it probably is a 1 week suspension but what annoys people is that you could go through the last couple seasons and find a number of similar ones were they got off if they were consistent I wouldn’t have a problem with but it’s like there’s different sets of rules for different players!

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Didn't he try and line Libba up to?

I guess his suspension earlier in the season shows what a grub he really is.

St Kilda dealt with a tough hand here. No Long, Ryder and Carlisle
That’s funny he played for the dogs vfl team and you guys were going to draft him if we didn’t pick him when we did so you guys must have rated him a bit !

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Going buy the rules it probably is a 1 week suspension but what annoys people is that you could go through the last couple seasons and find a number of similar ones were they got off if they were consistent I wouldn’t have a problem with but it’s like there’s different sets of rules for different players!
I'm not arguing that the MRP is inconsistent because we all see it, I'm just saying it's hardly an injustice that he got a week for that hit given he could've tackled but chose to bump and got Macrae high.

DT_35

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Denver, Liverpool
I'm not arguing that the MRP is inconsistent because we all see it, I'm just saying it's hardly an injustice that he got a week for that hit given he could've tackled but chose to bump and got Macrae high.

what’s your thoughts on the Pickett on Heeney Bump?

Duckimus Prime

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You wouldn't be posting here if you didn't care about the Long verdict ...... so there is only one person kidding themselves 👆

As for the Cotchin hit well the ball was in Shiel's hands and Captain Lovechild arrived late and lowered his back square into Shiel's head knocking him out of the game

But hey one rule for some and another rule for others
You are aware that Cotchin's 2017 hit on Shiel was never worth a suspension for that incident right? That was a clear fine. The whole thing with that incident is it would've been Cotchin's third fine and hence suspension.

And Cotchin never took Shiel out of the game. He kept playing after it. And it was a later collision with Astbury that took him out of the game.

Its interesting how we see links to Gary Rohan and Marlion Pickett bumps, but don't want to link to Brad Ebert's bump in the same round. The one where Harry Perryman got up and took his kick, and played out the game without issue. And Ebert is hung out to dry by the commentary and copped a medium impact and suspension. Ebert never even had the choice to tackle.

And then a couple weeks later Sam Mayes bumps Dunkley, who gets up, takes his kick and plays out the game without issue. Also suspended after the commentary decides that its a hangable offence.

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
Long ran off the line and chose to bump instead of tackle, got Macrae high with the shoulder to the jaw. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

A couple of inches either way and Macrae gets split open, a fractured jaw, or concussion, and then Long is looking at 3-4 weeks.

As many have said he then tried it again later in the match.

Not begrudging the win in any way but if you play that way you've got to just cop it and move on.

He could have but he didn’t. Macrae suffered as much injury as Dylan Grimes does on a weekly basis.

Using that rationale Long should also be rubbed out for the possibility of injury to Liberatore in the second bump. Another 3 metres and he could have really hurt him......

The tribunal isn’t there to judge “what might have happened”, they are there to judge what actually did happen.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tribunal going to have an interesting few weeks ahead now they've chosen a new criteria.

They havent chosen anything here. They agreed the MRO can arbitrarily assign increased risk loadings any time he wants.

The staging penalties is when the Tribunal deciding that flopping around like a dickhead for a free kick was super okay.

Aug 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Shoulder in the head which spun a bloke 360 deserves a week. I totally agree it's inconsistent but I hate that the ruling is based on if any injuries were sustained. Do that to another bloke and break his jaw how many weeks is that? It's luck of the draw on who you hit rather than what you have done.
Just like that soft punch where Silvagni broke a rib. The same punch hits him an inch higher he jogs on and no suspension perhaps even no report.

It's been inconsistent but hopefully they start pinging the action rather than the result.

Aug 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He could have but he didn’t. Macrae suffered as much injury as Dylan Grimes does on a weekly basis.

Using that rationale Long should also be rubbed out for the possibility of injury to Liberatore in the second bump. Another 3 metres and he could have really hurt him......

The tribunal isn’t there to judge “what might have happened”, they are there to judge what actually did happen.
I disagree. Say I belt you in the head and you have a hard head and nothing happens. Next time we meet you belt me with the exact same force and break my jaw. Should we get the same penalty?

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

In the end an average sniper took out a fair ball-player and got what he deserved.

Is Dylan Grimes list of head knocks now used as an afl standard? wtf.

Enjoy the off-season which starts next week.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Shoulder in the head which spun a bloke 360 deserves a week. I totally agree it's inconsistent but I hate that the ruling is based on if any injuries were sustained. Do that to another bloke and break his jaw how many weeks is that? It's luck of the draw on who you hit rather than what you have done.
Just like that soft punch where Silvagni broke a rib. The same punch hits him an inch higher he jogs on and no suspension perhaps even no report.

It's been inconsistent but hopefully they start pinging the action rather than the result.

We all know there is zero chance a Rising Star or Brownlow favourite gets a week after having the impact raised due to potential to cause injury.

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
In the end an average sniper took out a fair ball-player and got what he deserved.

Is Dylan Grimes list of head knocks now used as an afl standard? wtf.

Enjoy the off-season which starts next week.

Yes, took him out about as much as Grimes gets taken out on a weekly basis.

Thanks for your wishes, I will indeed enjoy watching my team in the finals this weekend.

Aug 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We all know there is zero chance a Rising Star or Brownlow favourite gets a week after having the impact raised due to potential to cause injury.
As I said the inconsistency is frustrating. Crozier copped a week for tackling a bloke who still had the footy. Similar tackles a fine. All because of the injury suffered even though the action was the same

Aug 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yes, took him out about as much as Grimes gets taken out on a weekly basis.

Thanks for your wishes, I will indeed enjoy watching my team in the finals this weekend.
Not sure if you'll enjoy it. I find after a finals loss it's good to watch a Premiership video cheers me up. I'll lend you my great grandfather's tape reel player from World War 2 if you would like to do the same. Let me know

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Not sure if you'll enjoy it. I find after a finals loss it's good to watch a Premiership video cheers me up. I'll lend you my great grandfather's tape reel player from World War 2 if you would like to do the same. Let me know

I'd prefer to watch a WWE match than the 2016 GF, they are less scripted.

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda

Thank you, I appreciate the gesture.

westie

All Australian
Jul 9, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Paynter Dixon Torana
Have you ever thought about stand-up comedy also?

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I disagree. Say I belt you in the head and you have a hard head and nothing happens. Next time we meet you belt me with the exact same force and break my jaw. Should we get the same penalty?
Yes if there the same type of incident then it should be the same penalty the damage to the victim should not be a deciding factor in the outcome While this is allowed to happen we will never get any consistency

Back