Who's closer to their next premiership: Carlton or Freo?

Is Carlton or Freo closer to their next flag?

• Carlton

Votes: 102 33.7%
  • Freo

Votes: 169 55.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 32 10.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's almost as though Carlton don't actually 'target' players, but instead throw the chequebook at any halfway decent players that are willing to go there.

I mean, how many half back flankers does one club need?
Saad, Doc and Newman, plus some developing youngsters.
Throw the chequebook? LOL
Martin on an average of around $600+650k over the life of his deal, but heavily front loaded because we had the space and planned ahead to recruit more players in the following years (now). He would have got pretty much the same from most other clubs.
Williams supposedly offered a little bit more than what GWS were, but targeted to play midfield and if he can produce the kind of numbers below, like he did when he got rare midfield time at GWS, will be a bargain.
Saad offered $50k a year more than Essendon. Woah! Look out for that nasty chequebook!

Williams mid.png

What exactly is the point of these threads comparing 2 clubs when there's 16 others? Especially Carlton & Freo who don't have anything to do with each other at all...maybe a thread against someone like Essendon would make a bit more sense.

Things looking up for us getting Williams & Saad...but gotta say Freo impressed this year and did better than I think a lot of people expected after losing Hill & Langdon. And Neale before that!

Got a good coach in Longmuire, the team is clearly well drilled and has a better culture than when Lyon was there.

Great decision to clean out the unprofessional players like McCarthy & Matera.

I think the point of this thread is that the Blues and Freo are the two teams outside the eight whose stocks rose this season to the point of being considered a chance for finals next year.

At least I think that was the original point before it did what these threads always do - which is to descend into fans of each team pulling out a bunch of stats to justify why their team is better placed than the other.

For what it’s worth, I’m backing Freo to be the next to win a flag - but only because I’m counting AFLW in that consideration. It would be the most Freo thing to do, become a force in the women’s game whilst still waiting for the first men’s flag. In fact, I’d put money on our current AFLW team winning a three-peat before we break our AFL duck.

I think the point of this thread is that the Blues and Freo are the two teams outside the eight whose stocks rose this season to the point of being considered a chance for finals next year.

At least I think that was the original point before it did what these threads always do - which is to descend into fans of each team pulling out a bunch of stats to justify why their team is better placed than the other.

For what it’s worth, I’m backing Freo to be the next to win a flag - but only because I’m counting AFLW in that consideration. It would be the most Freo thing to do, become a force in the women’s game whilst still waiting for the first men’s flag. In fact, I’d put money on our current AFLW team winning a three-peat before we break our AFL duck.

Yep, I'm with you as far as our AFLW womens team goes.

This thread is just a pissing contest because I think a fair few of us weren't very happy that one of your supporters started a stupid thread questioning our direction. Laughable considering one or two dodgy umpiring decisions is what split our teams on the ladder this year and the Carlton rebuild has been going a lot longer. It wasn't going to end well as far as having a rational discussion given that.

Surely with Carlton gunning for 2 running half back flankers (with no accountability), they'll cover their defensive holes and be one of the teams to beat next year?

Surely??

Last edited:
oh is that why the freo fans did laughing reactions? i think you guys have built well from the back and his delivery will be a huge asset over the next 10 years.
Well the bloke is Victorian. So he could leave as a free agent 8 years down the line. Then again.... With the AFL constantly changing rules. I won't be surprised if free agency goes down from 8 years to 6 or even 5 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton beat freo at home by kicking 5 goals

neither close but Carlton just

Last edited:
Better than celebrating 15th place

you can spend the off season like you spend all of them

endless endless talk and hype, followed by when the season starts endless endless excuses

freos cycle of life
Hey we never expected to play finals, you guys got bounced out of the finals in the first week after expecting to win a flag.

It will be interesting to see how the Saad and Williams inclusions work out for Carlton in the long run.

Credit to Carlton they have addressed some big areas of need and gotten two of the best in the AFL in those areas. Without a doubt Carlton will be a better team next year, the question is will this put them over the hump.

It will limit any future big signings when you add in Cripps, Weitering, McKay, Walsh that either have or will need to bigger contracts and McGovern who will probably be on a heavily reduced contract next time he signs if he does hang around.

I think Carlton will probably be the slightly better team next year but i still like Freo as a better future prospect. Think they are building very very nicely.

Hard to say. Based on this year's performance, I think Carlton underperformed more than Freo. But both are just so inconsistent, they can be as bad as anyone then look almost as good as anything. I think it's mental. Both have promising youngsters, but in personnel would give the edge to Carlton. Many thought Carlton were on the rise 2 years ago, but I think they're at least 3 years off. Unfortunately for Freo fans I think best case scenario for next year is sneaking into the 8. Doubt they'll challenge for 3 years or so if they can somehow rectify the loss of Mundy, maybe Fyfe and Walters. But who really knows.

Hard to say. Based on this year's performance, I think Carlton underperformed more than Freo. But both are just so inconsistent, they can be as bad as anyone then look almost as good as anything. I think it's mental. Both have promising youngsters, but in personnel would give the edge to Carlton. Many thought Carlton were on the rise 2 years ago, but I think they're at least 3 years off. Unfortunately for Freo fans I think best case scenario for next year is sneaking into the 8. Doubt they'll challenge for 3 years or so if they can somehow rectify the loss of Mundy, maybe Fyfe and Walters. But who really knows.
We weren't inconsistent after the first 4-5 games. We were giving up 1 shocking quarter per week back then and it was often the difference. With maybe 1 or 2 exceptions we were very consistent after that point, but just not good enough. Our issue is ability so we require players to get better to improve and probably some adjustments to the way we move the ball.

Carlton were also incredibly consistent. 2-3 quarters of very good footy and 1 diabolical one per game. Carlton's main issue is mental, they were good enough in a lot of games. They don't have to improve a lot (to make finals) they just have to sort out their mentality. Organic growth would obviously help as well but I think it is only going to improve them a lot if they sort out the mental side.

We weren't inconsistent after the first 4-5 games. We were giving up 1 shocking quarter per week back then and it was often the difference. With maybe 1 or 2 exceptions we were very consistent after that point, but just not good enough. Our issue is ability so we require players to get better to improve and probably some adjustments to the way we move the ball.

Carlton were also incredibly consistent. 2-3 quarters of very good footy and 1 diabolical one per game. Carlton's main issue is mental, they were good enough in a lot of games. They don't have to improve a lot (to make finals) they just have to sort out their mentality. Organic growth would obviously help as well but I think it is only going to improve them a lot if they sort out the mental side.

Yeah it's often inconsistency within games. But if you drop games you should win while pulling off great wins that's inconsistent imo. It seems most clubs have a problem with playing out all 4 quarters (we've had that problem for the last 2 years), even with shorter quarters, but the short breaks didn't help. I feel that played a big role in team's performances so it's hard to get a good gauge. 2021 will give us a better idea of where the team's are at.

Yeah it's often inconsistency within games. But if you drop games you should win while pulling off great wins that's inconsistent imo. It seems most clubs have a problem with playing out all 4 quarters (we've had that problem for the last 2 years), even with shorter quarters, but the short breaks didn't help. I feel that played a big role in team's performances so it's hard to get a good gauge. 2021 will give us a better idea of where the team's are at.
Sure, but we didn't do that. We only beat 3 teams above us and none in the top 4. We beat the entire bottom 4. That's standard issue just not good enough, not inconsistency.

Back