2020 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

mutineer will be happy about strauchan

what can we read into this?
1. we arent getting CCJ?
2. we arent taking RT if we only have pick 1? assuming he doesnt slide to 8.

1. Yup, can rule out CCJ.
2. Probably irrelevant to that, though it's pretty safe to assume we aren't taking RT with pick 1 considering McDonald is the better forward prospect of the two (seeing body of work is better and there is an obvious development path with McDonald as he needs to put on 10-12 kg), if we go in that direction.

mutineer will be happy about strauchan

what can we read into this?
1. we arent getting CCJ?
2. we arent taking RT if we only have pick 1? assuming he doesnt slide to 8.

Strauchan and Thilthorpe aren't connected. Strauchan will still be out of the league in a year and Thilthorpe is a longterm option.

Just got told DMac has been delisted.

Have not seen it on any Social Media feed though.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Wouldn't be a surprise. They need to start making some serious cuts.

We will probably pick him back up with a late pick.

Having said that, it is good to see the club has remembered we are meant to be rebuilding the list.
I think Mackay will be one of the last to know, as it won't happen until we've found out whether we can trade Kelly and Seedsman.

Not surprising, but thought he was alright this year.
He was totally fine this year, good in fact. And from the reports i've seen from his teammates, coaches and Adam Kelly he was valued that way by the organization.

If he has been cut its completely fine, he's a player who's talent never surpassed his preparation/desire, which put him in the low ceiling/high floor category. These types are hard to cut (evident by how many games he played and coaches he played for) as they don't do a hell of a lot wrong, give you everything, understand structures, and bring a lot to the table outside of games.

But at 32 the list spot in a rebuilding side with a huge draft hand tips the value scale over what he could bring as a player in 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure it's already been mentioned but Jack Viney resigned with MFC.

One less option for teams looking for a ready to go inside mid.

I've said this multiple times, but I have nothing but respect for Mackay. Bleeds for the club. Brave, hard-working, professional. Throws his meager frame into harm's way. Sets the standards at training. Got close to 100% out of himself.

BUT, he is on the wrong side of 30 now and he has never been an elite player. Truthfully, he has been a B-grader, at best. We are right in the middle of a rebuild and at least a couple of years away from being a competitive finals team again. This is the sort of tough decision you need to make if winning a premiership is your ultimate goal, as it should be. Doesn't mean I won't be sad to see him retire though.

I've said this multiple times, but I have nothing but respect for Mackay. Bleeds for the club. Brave, hard-working, professional. Throws his meager frame into harm's way. Sets the standards at training. Got close to 100% out of himself.

BUT, he is on the wrong side of 30 now and he has never been an elite player. Truthfully, he has been a B-grader, at best. We are right in the middle of a rebuild and at least a couple of years away from being a competitive finals team again. This is the sort of tough decision you need to make if winning a premiership is your ultimate goal, as it should be. Doesn't mean I won't be sad to see him retire though.
Throws his body into harms way, are we watching the same DMac?

The DMac I qatch has miaaed tackle after missed tackle because he throws one arm out and doesnt get his entire body behind the tackle

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would be very comfortable if Adelaide either offered David the SANFL captaincy for a year or two, or a development coaching role at the club if he wanted it.

Last edited:

The DMac I qatch has miaaed tackle after missed tackle because he throws one arm out and doesnt get his entire body behind the tackle

Mackay has his faults, but he has sat under more high balls from Laird and being ragdolled after Crouch hospital handballs than anyone. In all seriousness, missing a couple of tackles doesn't negate the fact that through his whole career he has always gone when it was his turn, which is sadly rare for an outside leaning player.

There are a lot of things you can critique Dmac for (seeing he was not a good outside midfielder at the best of times), however, bravery/toughness is certainly not one of them.

He was always willing to tackle (especially when compared to his contemporaries, seeing this is the first year in a long time that David averages less tackles then the average winger/half-back) and was always willing to put his head over the ball.

Atkins would have been a superstar for us with Mackays desire, and we sure as anything are praying Sholl can replicate it.

Last edited:

He has a kids frame so he's not very effective physically, but he doesn't shirk, have to give him that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back