Offseason Changes + Road to the 2021 Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
This. I’ve said it before, but the club should back itself in to get the best out of players like Sydney Stack and Elijah Taylor. I’d argue it’s reluctance on our part to bring in players that might have issues, but the club should back itself in with these things.
I dont want a woman basher in the team. He can * off.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Really good sides don't lose matches against seriously inferior oppo on multiple occasions.

Spoilt would be the current crop wining two GF's.

We are if we're lucky, 2 seasons off a major rebuild and a number of years of being not spoilt.

Haven't you noticed. Eagles don't do major rebuilds...............unless half the list are coke heads.

Not only do we not do them we don't need a major rebuild in 2-3 years. Its not like half the list is over 30.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I bloody hope not. Its a privileged to play for the Eagles and be an AFL player, if you are POS who bashes women you deserve the ass. Just my opinion.

If you are a good footballer its amazing how much people 'look the other way'.

Actually we don't do that as much these days, the player is sent to be educated and get support so they stop doing it. And only then are they allowed to play again.

It is a very strange set up. But the AFL has taken onboard all these social responsibility policies and sponsors also want players with decent morals.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Our support network for players who face difficulties/need straightening out are drying up though. Simmo himself said that with a 40% reduction in soft cap we will now have to reevaluate who we would have drafted because the off field structure of the club will be changing.

I will call BS on that one. Simo playing politics there.

You simply move the support structure and costs out of the football department and set it up under the Naitanui Academy or some other structure outside the football department soft cap.

It isn't like we don't have the money or the sponsors to fund it.

Building houses in 6056 this year...

1602129569089.png
1602129529370.png
1602129585001.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
My biggest worry is the lack of class coming through.A couple of years ago we had Rioli,Tyan,Cripps,Cameron,Venables,Petrol.So much potential! Then in the blink of an eye it all falls apart.Francis looked ok without setting the house on fire.Who was our top draft pick last year? Tassie fellow wasnt he? Never gets a mention.AhChee goes hard in patches.Rotham is meh,Cole/Nelson are ok.Reid? nuh! G.Jones possibly.If you havnt got panache,havnt got speed,havnt got a long kick,havnt got a left foot,cant take a grab or your not as hard as nails wtf are you doing on our list.

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Just a few thoughts...

I hope the squad still has the mental drive. It took a monumental collective effort to step up in 2018, the culmination of years of struggle from 2015 onwards that saw us play in 2 GFs. The exhaustion and mental fatigue squads suffer after sustaining such a period of success is well-documented.

I think the key in Simpson's mantra is to find a way for us to keep competing every year without burning out, hence an approach that may come off as "soft" to some. But it seems that burn-out may have occured post-2018, when we headed contested statistics in the finals and lost that edge upon our return in '19 and '20, despite adding both a fit Nic and Kelly.

Luckily we have a few senior players still driven by desire for that medal, and blokes like Duggan and Nelson are developing nicely, but we need to keep adding talented youngsters to imbue the side with spirit; e.g. see Waterman's 60m bomb during the first hub, which suddenly turned our form around.

Last edited:

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Well seeing though the wa gov are backing the hard border to April or June next year it seems the first road is going to be through Queensland again....

I look forward to cheering Hurns 300th with about 200 others at Metricon stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Hopefully by then there will be an exemption for players to FIFO like the SA teams this season. lol who am I kidding

Fifo really isn’t going to work for Perth but there is no reason people cant fly in the day before a game, go to the hotel then fly after the game but no chance of this happening..

campaigner___

Club Legend
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Well seeing though the wa gov are backing the hard border to April or June next year it seems the first road is going to be through Queensland again....

I look forward to cheering Hurns 300th with about 200 others at Metricon stadium.

200 people at metricon? Are you expecting Bunga's 300th to be on grand final day?

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
We won't do it.

You can't lay off staff and reduce salaries, then piss off and take players/coaches to Cambodia to build houses.

Also there's a plandemic, amirite.

Something annoys me about that whole cliche trip to Cambodia to build houses (or any other place).

Like its somehow a massive good Samaritan trip or something. The majority of the time its people who have no applicable skills at all and are just doing it for the facebook post / likes / company PR.

If you genuinely cared, wouldn't the price of your airfare pay for half a house anyway? ie make a bigger contribution than you hitting a couple nails for a photo.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Ok People, you know the truth, but just won't admit it!?
We need a ballsy midfield coach, we need an ex-star of the game!?
We NEED Daniel Kerr!!
He's around apparently (often seen outside the family courts)
and is very available!
(oh well, worth a try)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back