Multiplat Next Gen TV buying guide and cheat sheet v1.0

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot can change in 12 months. Was just going through my camera roll and found this photo from August last year.

47161408-D251-4957-8F83-86B8466542EA.jpeg

Exact same TV currently costs $2300 less right now

Will most likely be even less in 6 weeks during the Black Friday sales. Really makes me consider waiting for CES in Jan 2021. If next years TV’s are a decent jump forward (more HDMI 2.1 ports, better processors, miniLED) then I could see myself holding out for the EOFS sale.

Guys. Is 75 inch too big? I've currently got a 65inch but moving house soon and will have a whole extra metre of wall space so am thinking of going 75.

I can get the qt75 at a significantly reduced price ($2600) so not too worried about the cost. Otherwise I can get the 65 for 1700.

Guys. Is 75 inch too big? I've currently got a 65inch but moving house soon and will have a whole extra metre of wall space so am thinking of going 75.

I can get the qt75 at a significantly reduced price ($2600) so not too worried about the cost. Otherwise I can get the 65 for 1700.
got a measuring tape?

Sorry i dont mean is it physically to big. I mean is it just too much? For gaming it would mean a bigger area to scan with my eyes for enemies etc. Just wondering if there is a noticeable difference in that kind of regard.

Sorry i dont mean is it physically to big. I mean is it just too much? For gaming it would mean a bigger area to scan with my eyes for enemies etc. Just wondering if there is a noticeable difference in that kind of regard.
Well again its up to how close your monitor/tv is to your face, because once you have that measurement you then have an optimal angle of field of vision, which the article i linked recommends between 30 and 40 degrees.

I'm not after science or facts, purely after people's opinions. I know it all fits, I have the right view angle etc. Just want peoples thoughts on playing on a bigger tv v a smaller tv.

I'm not after science or facts, purely after people's opinions. I know it all fits, I have the right view angle etc. Just want peoples thoughts on playing on a bigger tv v a smaller tv.
I've gone from a 10yr old 37" to just this week a 65" and the difference is massive.
The 65 would be as big as I'd go imo (my lounge is roughly 4m from the screen).
Was tempted to go bigger but the price jump was huge on the model I got.
Have played a dozen games of warzone so far and spotting enemies on the bigger area hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be.

Yeah I think you guys have pretty much helped make up my mind that 8K probably isn’t worth it for now, seeing as we had our current tv for 10 years and it still had an amazing picture the 4K will be such a huge upgrade anyway we won’t be dissapointed. It has to be 75” due to where it’s going unless we need to rebuild recesses and re wallpaper etc which I don't wanna do, the 75 will sit flat on the wall, covering up the smaller recess and all the cords will go behind and out the side into a bookcase. All neat and hidden, smaller size will look weird and bigger too big.
8k isnt necessarily about 8k content, its about bringing pixel size down in large panels. Even at 4k pixel size gets larger the bigger the panel. So 8k brings a sharper image than you would get in the equivalent 4k large tv

Sony has started rolling out their hdmi 2.1 update.
You can select
Enhance 4k and 120hz
Or
Enhance Dolby Vision

Looks like you can't have Dolby Vision with 120hz which is a kick in the guts for Xbox owners.
Now there is speculation that no TV/hdmi2.1 can support 4k with DV with 120hz. Even the top end LG.

So much confusion still around all of this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recently upgraded my TV and went through a lot of research.

I decided that picture quality was more important than HDMI 2.1 features for me and ended up going for the Sony 9500H paired with a Yamaha YSP-2700 soundbar and loving it.

I will get a PS5 at some point but not too concerned about 4K/120. I'm sure that 4K/60 will be perfect fine for my needs.

Well the x900h is off the list, issue with blurryness with 4k @ 120Hz. Supposedly sony knows about it and ain't going to do anything about it. Unless hdmi 2.1 DV channel isn't affected and has VRR and ALLM

Currently there is no TVs for my need.

Can see the issue here.

It seems like high-quality LCD's brighter colours are better for HDR, Sports and contrast in low-light environments (e.g. dark hallways) whereas OLED's blacker blacks provide superior "cinematic" experience for movies/tv shows.

Or I am mistaken?

I'll probably bite the bullet and get the x900h on Boxing Day, hopefully the blur issue is fixed.
Sounds like a ripper TV for the price and jbhifi have dropped the 75" price to $3300. So on sale hopefully it'll be below 3k

And I'm still using a 2012 55" Samsung, so any upgrade will be huge.

Last edited:
I'll probably bite the bullet and get the x900h on Boxing Day, hopefully the blur issue is fixed.
Sounds like a ripper TV for the price and jbhifi have dropped the 75" price to $3300. So on sale hopefully it'll be below 3k

And I'm still using a 2012 55" Samsung, so any upgrade will be huge.
I got a 65” a few weeks ago and love it, saying that it’s replaced a nearly 10 year old Panasonic plasma so anything was going to be a huge improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back