Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:
May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Anyone who thinks the buddy deal has been a waste has rocks in their head. Without him we don’t make it to the gf I’m 14 and 16.

Anyone who judges whether he has been a waste solely on looking at the upside without considering the downside has rocks in their head.

Buddy money for the last 2 years and the next 2 years are having a huge impact on the swans ability to aggressively chase elite young talent to shorten your rebuild.

Even if he did, as you say- get you to two grand finals single handedly (very dubious in a sport that has 22 blokes on a team, but I'll play along).... buddys money in the last 4 years of his contract has slowed down your ability to rebuild massively.

If you're going to judge if something was worth doing- you've got rocks in your head if you only look at what went right before making your rocky mind up.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyone who judges whether he has been a waste solely on looking at the upside without considering the downside has rocks in their head.

Buddy money for the last 2 years and the next 2 years are having a huge impact on the swans ability to aggressively chase elite young talent to shorten your rebuild.

Even if he did, as you say- get you to two grand finals single handedly (very dubious in a sport that has 22 blokes on a team, but I'll play along).... buddys money in the last 4 years of his contract has slowed down your ability to rebuild massively.

If you're going to judge if something was worth doing- you've got rocks in your head if you only look at what went right before making your rocky mind up.
Don't know where you think you are, this is the 'we need buddy's offspring' page.

You guys have shown the blueprint to aggressively chase elite young talent and have shown that it's not everything. I'm trusting that the swans understood what they were doing and did it with th possibility that he wouldn't play the last few years of his contract (or at least as much as we, the fans, would hope).

Also the only thing more stupid than basing a decision on only the positives, it would be making a judgement call before the contract is over.
What influence does Buddy have on the team? How many games does he play now?
Why do you insist on coming on to the swans board to lecture a bloke that said making 2 grand finals isn't a good enough metric?
Most teams would kill to even be in that position, and imo its been the right decision.

Most of all, I just don't like you here, it's like me coming into your boards after a controversial decision berating St Kilda on their failures. Not my place to tell you've said wrong about St Kilda, not your place to tell a swans supporter what the swans got wrong.

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney

I was always against the deal. But he’s been great to watch along the way. Sure it’s meant that we’ve had less flexibility (and if COVID has taught us anything it is that long we’ll paid contracts are a millstone for everybody - ps tv rights are also going to be slowing in the future so I’d be careful what you do with king when he asks for 7 years at 1 million a year) but it goes to the heart of what a footy club is there for.

for a lot on this site and this board it is to win flags and anything else is a waste of time. But for your club and ours history would tell you that flags are incredibly hard to get. So maybe playing amazing football from time to time and watching amazing footballers strut their stuff is a bloody good starting point.

im confident that we will be challenging again in the next 2-3 years. Might see you in another prelim like 2005 in a year or two

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney

If Buddy said he wanted to go to StKilda you would be like yeah nah I’d rather another 10 years of mediocrity?

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

You guys must be rapt to have Brad Hill on a 5 year deal on big money, think he averaged 15 disposals this year.

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Says the guy who follows the team that took hanners of our hands? I'm a huge hanners fan, but gotta thank st Kilda for taking him off our hands and keeping him wrapped in cotton wool for the best part of two seasons. Which is coincidentally the same period buddy has been down.

kelpie_X

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

* off campaigner, your club is s**t.

Now do Hanners moron.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lol.... big mistake!

...kinda like recruiting hanners you might say

Hanners goes alright, particularly at half the cost of buddy.

We've just completed his cryogenic freezing- we'll thaw hanners out for his annual 5 games next september and he'll be cherry ripe.

You guys should do the same with budwah i reckon.

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Let's do a comparison over their first 2 seasons shall we?
Buddy
Salary: ~700k per year
Matches played: 39
Goals: 125
Avg disp. Per game: ~16
Avg disposals in finals: 18
Goals in finals: 12 ( avg. 4 per match)

Hanners
Salary: ~800k per year
Matches played: 13
Goals: 4
Avg disp. Per game: 22
Avg disposals in finals: 22
Goals in finals: 0

I know who I'd choose...

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney

St Kilda have peaked (only look at what went right for one season) and Steady knows it. May as well get a cheap shot in now because he knows Saints are headed for another decade wallowing in the bottom half of the competition.

Back