News James Rahilly departs Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

They shut him down. They pushed him so wide he had to take his shots from way out on an angle. He sprayed 2 gettable shots but the others were tough kicks. McKenzie did a good job.

Was a bit like Caven on Carey in '98.

They shut him down. They pushed him so wide he had to take his shots from way out on an angle. He sprayed 2 gettable shots but the others were tough kicks. McKenzie did a good job.
Tough kicks he usually jags.

Anytime you give a forward 6 shots you haven't shut him down.

It really isn't.

Hawkins is a very solid kick more often than not. Even the 2 sitters he missed would've changed the game.
Just because he's usually accurate is completely irrelevant. Yes he should have kicked those 2 easy ones but that doesn't nullify all the good work McKenzie did to make his other shots difficult. It's incredibly hard to blanket a guy like Hawkins, especially when he's in career best form. The best most teams can muster is to make his shots as difficult as possible and Port's defenders did that. That's a tick to the coaches and defenders, any day of the week.

Just because he's usually accurate is completely irrelevant. Yes he should have kicked those 2 easy ones but that doesn't nullify all the good work McKenzie did to make his other shots difficult. It's incredibly hard to blanket a guy like Hawkins, especially when he's in career best form. The best most teams can muster is to make his shots as difficult as possible and Port's defenders did that. That's a tick to the coaches and defenders, any day of the week.
If you'd told Ports coaches pre game that Hawkins would have 6 shots at goal during the game they'd have been extremely concerned

If you'd told Ports coaches pre game that Hawkins would have 6 shots at goal during the game they'd have been extremely concerned
If you told Port's coaches he's end up taking those shots from the bleachers and missing all of them, I think they'd take it.

You need to work on your math too. Hawkins kicking those 2 goals wouldn't have changed the result.

If you told Port's coaches he's end up taking those shots from the bleachers and missing all of them, I think they'd take it.

You need to work on your math too. Hawkins kicking those 2 goals wouldn't have changed the result.
Says who ?? Port transitioned the ball extremely well, Hawkins gave them the opportunity.

Yeah they won by 3 goals but missing easy shots saps momentum.

If he gets 6 shots from the same spots this week he'll kick 4.

In any case, we're detailing the thread a bit.... Or deRahillying it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Says who ?? Port transitioned the ball extremely well, Hawkins gave them the opportunity.

Yeah they won by 3 goals but missing easy shots saps momentum.

If he gets 6 shots from the same spots this week he'll kick 4.

In any case, we're detailing the thread a bit.... Or deRahillying it.
I just think you're showing your bias against Port. If that were Talia, I doubt you'd be calling it this way.

I don't like Port either but that's mostly down to w***ers like Kornes and their feral, banana throwing, supporter base. Good footy is good footy though, no matter who the team is.

I just think you're showing your bias against Port. If that were Talia, I doubt you'd be calling it this way.

I don't like Port either but that's mostly down to w***ers like Kornes and their feral, banana throwing, supporter base. Good footy is good footy though, no matter who the team is.
They played great footy, no question.

And if Talia let him get 6 shots on goal I'd be asking questions of my midfield.

You'd take it, and you'd be happy with that result are two vastly different things. Giving the in form forward of the competition 6 shots, even if 4 of them are lowish percentage, and ending up with a result of 0.5 with one out on the full is the equivalent of playing with fire and getting through it unscathed. Port got lucky there, and another day that's 3.3 or better. They'd be realistic enough to know it too; they'd have to be if they had any desire of winning it all this year.

All it takes is 1-2 goals, especially early on when Geelong had momentum, and the entire game changes then and there. Especially for a side like Geelong where there are a lot of mental demons and players who cannot handle finals football, which means they need to convert early. Conveniently for Port, they gave the shots to someone who falls apart mentally the moment the 'F' word is mentioned, and the rest of Geelong followed suit.

You'd take it, and you'd be happy with that result are two vastly different things. Giving the in form forward of the competition 6 shots, even if 4 of them are lowish percentage, and ending up with a result of 0.5 with one out on the full is the equivalent of playing with fire and getting through it unscathed. Port got lucky there, and another day that's 3.3 or better. They'd be realistic enough to know it too; they'd have to be if they had any desire of winning it all this year.
I'm of the mind that you make your own luck. Good defense forcing forwards to take difficult shots is an example of that.

I'm of the mind that you make your own luck. Good defense forcing forwards to take difficult shots is an example of that.

I don't buy the "you make your own luck" argument at all. It's a nice comfort thought to keep striving and pushing, but not one that holds up to any scrutiny whatsoever.

I agree that Port did all they could here because if you are going to give up shots, it's always better in lower percentage areas. It's playing the numbers, though not ideal as ideal is preventing those shots in the first place. That said, your talking about one of Geelongs best set shots (Hawkins has a 58% accuracy from set shots in 2020 from all areas of the ground, from statsinsider shot charter app) missing 6 shots in a row. That's not making your own luck at all, that tempting fate to punch you in the dick and for whatever reason, you avoided it. After all, if Hawkins decided to play to his average, that's 3 goals 3 and as said, Geelong needed to capitalise on early momentum to win that game. They're closer to doing that.

Where Port deserve credit is they were good enough to capitalise on that luck, but they certainly rode it early on. Still, being lucky is a crucial element of all good sides.

Just confirming, that despite the misleading Thread title and 92 posts currently, there is actually no confirmation as yet? Except that all footy journalists are fugly?

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Only the male footy journalists are ugly. You’re not allowed to call the ugly female footy journalists ugly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back