Name some players like Jason Heatley (one season wonders)

Remove this Banner Ad

Retzlaff

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ryan Murphy, although he was more a half-season wonder. Played the latter half of 2006 and was a big part of our team that won 9 in a row and ended up in a prelim. Kicked 22.8 in 12 games as a foil for Pav and made a name for himself as a dead-eye. Kicked a total of 19 goals in the following 4 years and then was gone for good. Kicked 50 goals over a 7-year career and almost half of those came in that 2006 stretch. I'm not sure anyone outside of Freo remembers him.

We tried and failed to find a competent tall fwd to put next to Pav over his career and scarily he was possibly the best we had. In 17 years.

EDIT: I know it doesn't jump out as a particularly noteworthy contribution but for context: that year we had our first top 4 finish, our greatest ever winning streak, our first finals win and were a game away from a GF, and none of it may have happened if not for Spud Murphy randomly getting good for a bit.
He was also dominant in a game against Adelaide, kicking 100% of our goals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

goondog

Premium Gold
May 19, 2001
Perth via Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
The sad thing is that he doesn't even qualify for this thread. What a waste of money that exercise was.

Clueless. We'll still have only 1 flag to our name without him. Ask any bulldogs person if they'll do the deal again and I guarantee not a single one would turn it down.

Feb 26, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I reckon older Footscray supporters can help me out but I seem to remember a Con Gorizidis who had one sensational season then vanished back to the VFA. I remember watching Hawthorn v Footscray at Princes Park in the 80 s and the Footscray fans screaming “CON!” every time he tried to take a specky.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
I reckon older Footscray supporters can help me out but I seem to remember a Con Gorizidis who had one sensational season then vanished back to the VFA. I remember watching Hawthorn v Footscray at Princes Park in the 80 s and the Footscray fans screaming “CON!” every time he tried to take a specky.
Jon

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The sad thing is that he doesn't even qualify for this thread. What a waste of money that exercise was.
Hahaha, this is gold. Tom Boyd was an amazing investment, his career obviously didn't pan out as we'd have hoped but to call him a waste of money is hilarious. He's a Bulldogs legend.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Clueless. We'll still have only 1 flag to our name without him. Ask any bulldogs person if they'll do the deal again and I guarantee not a single one would turn it down.
He was good when it counted in the GF. That's the best you can say about Tom Boyd.

It's debatable whether the game was won off his boot, but that discussion belongs to a different thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back