How many weeks for cotchin's dangerous tackle?

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL already let him off once for KOing Dylan Shiel in the prelim in 2017.

Will they do it again for a sling tackle around the neck, that could have resulted easily in a spinal injury?
Since its Cotchin he'll get off, a player for a non Vic club would be looking at 2 weeks.

Most likely be a fine for Rough Conduct if anything, but wouldn't surprise me if he got a week. Not needed.

Most likely be a fine for Rough Conduct if anything, but wouldn't surprise me if he got a week. Not needed.

Made worse in my opinion because the whistle had gone and play had stopped.. Jones wasn't resisting and so got ragdolled even worse. Dirty act to try and inflict a bit of pain, but had the potential to do serious damage.

Made worse in my opinion because the whistle had gone and play had stopped.. Jones wasn't resisting and so got ragdolled even worse. Dirty act to try and inflict a bit of pain, but had the potential to do serious damage.

I think the reasoning he might try and go with was he tried to tackle to stop the advantage being taken.

Only thing I can think of as to why he did it.

71a136bfd98c90fdfabb3481622aaed2.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is the AFL and the MRO has backed themselves into a corner from last week by deciding to include "potential to cause injury" when deciding a player's punishment.
If it was H&A season it would be a fine. After the AFL moved the goalposts it's now a week.

Richmond will be without Cotchin and Lynch next week.

The Lynch one won't get a week with the rules as they are, there wasn't enough impact in it. Grubby definitely, but I doubt he gets suspended for it.

The Cotchin one is a good test of the new interpretation that the AFL put in place after Burgoyne got away with a fine for his sling tackle.

Let's see if the AFL sticks to their word (I doubt it). Will probably get off because he didn't drive his head into the turf.

1 week minimum I think - possibly two. It will be a saga all week though as Richmond will appeal any fine and I'd almost expect the AFL to appeal if he gets off like they did vs Houli a few years ago.

If I was Caddy or Ross I'd be training extra hard this week

The problem is the AFL and the MRO has backed themselves into a corner from last week by deciding to include "potential to cause injury" when deciding a player's punishment.
If it was H&A season it would be a fine. After the AFL moved the goalposts it's now a week.

Dustin Martin also got pinged for potential to cause injury a couple of years ago and we hadn't seen it since prior to last week. The AFL is a chook lotto.

Also, a tackle is a bit different to a bump.

It won't surprise me which way they go with it. Fine or suspension.

To be honest, Cotchin has been hortendous the past couple of weeks. Wouldn't be the worst thing if he gets a week.

The Lynch one won't get a week with the rules as they are, there wasn't enough impact in it. Grubby definitely, but I doubt he gets suspended for it.

The Cotchin one is a good test of the new interpretation that the AFL put in place after Burgoyne got away with a fine for his sling tackle.

Let's see if the AFL sticks to their word (I doubt it). Will probably get off because he didn't drive his head into the turf.

He nearly pulled the campaigners head off. It wasn't the impact on the ground which was minimal, it was the fact he knew he got him high and then slung him around. He could have put him in a wheelchair.

Last edited by a moderator:
The AFL already let him off once for KOing Dylan Shiel in the prelim in 2017.

Will they do it again for a sling tackle around the neck, that could have resulted easily in a spinal injury?
Tilt the world back breaker even dropped him on the knee perfectly after the whistle combined with the weak as p1ss knee a man in the collar bone from Tom Lynch should both attract MRP attention this week without a doubt. 1 Week each seems perfectly equitable in the situation.

Dustin Martin also got pinged for potential to cause injury a couple of years ago and we hadn't seen it since prior to last week. The AFL is a chook lotto.

Also, a tackle is a bit different to a bump.

It won't surprise me which way they go with it. Fine or suspension.

To be honest, Cotchin has been hortendous the past couple of weeks. Wouldn't be the worst thing if he gets a week.
It will be where the dart lands on the dartboard.
If there was a consistent set of standards we could very easily go fine or week. It's one thing the AFL needs to get better at. Show us all at the start of the 2021 season what level is a fine and what gets a suspension and keep to it.

Since its Cotchin he'll get off, a player for a non Melbourne club would be looking at 2 weeks.

Fixed that for you. Someone at the Cattery would get 2 weeks for that. If it was Tom Hawkins he might be deregistered.

Tilt the world back breaker even dropped him on the knee perfectly after the whistle combined with the weak as p1ss knee a man in the collar bone from Tom Lynch should both attract MRP attention this week without a doubt. 1 Week each seems perfectly equitable in the situation.

The Lynch thing wouldn't be a week on its own. But how many fines has he got this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back