Umpiring The State of Umpiring in the AFL

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The umpires have far too many brain fades, what was that bloke thinking with the Hawkins mark against the Swans? No stops were used, it was a clear mark and the decision was not in the spirit of the game. Our game is impossible to officiate.
Clearly an incorrect call, but so was the decision to award him a free kick when he actually should have been pinged for holding the ball when the Cats were 3 goals down (which was a massive momentum changer in the game).

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The umpires have far too many brain fades, what was that bloke thinking with the Hawkins mark against the Swans? No stops were used, it was a clear mark and the decision was not in the spirit of the game. Our game is impossible to officiate.
I thought he said that Hawkins went too early?

Basically interfered with the defender and put him out of the contest before the ball was within 5 metres.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
If you fly for the mark and then hit the ground before the ball arrives, you get done for a push, and has been this way for a long time.
Holy Warwick Capper, what game are we watching? A good leap, eyes on the ball, no stops, a clear mark by Hawkins! This was not Toby Greene!!!!

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Holy Warwick Capper, what game are we watching? A good leap, eyes on the ball, no stops, a clear mark by Hawkins! This was not Toby Greene!!!!
He left the ground.
He hit the ground before/In time with marking.

It's a 50/50 call, and I've seen it paid plenty of times against the person who took the mark

Bird Man

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
The problem is if they make black and white rules like if your tackled and drop the ball at all times it’s holding the ball the game is slowed down. A slow game is not what the afl wants.

Jul 3, 2012
Bayside
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
QPR
The problem is if they make black and white rules like if your tackled and drop the ball at all times it’s holding the ball the game is slowed down. A slow game is not what the afl wants.
Why have rules at all then?
How about throwing the ball? It shouldn’t matter because the player is keeping the game moving?
The game is been slowed down by coaches defensive tactics, not by the umpiring.

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
I don't have as much of a problem as most fans with throwing the ball. With the speed of the game it appears impossible to adjudicate.
I often get it wrong after viewing the replay.

It's the inconsistency with holding the ball and push in the back that gets up my goat.

Jul 2, 2018
Somerset Tasmania
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Swan Districts FC WAFL
The new motto for WA . And on top of the list is Eastern States germ carrying Football umpires.
''WE DON'T WANT PEOPLE FROM THE EAST COMING HERE. DON'T COME . WE DON'T WANT YOU. STAY AWAY '' (WA Premier.)
The field umpires lost the game for the Eagles tonight with the most one- sided incompetent , blatantly incompetent performance which was always going to happen against the West Coast. I hope your isolation now in Perth will be horrid. You deserve it .

Last edited:

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I’ve seen umpteen throws across the four finals so far that just are not paid. It’s ridiculous.

It is ridiculous. Some of them are deliberate. Players should be named and shamed when it is obviously deliberate.

What pisses me off the most and I know this will sound like whinging* but I dont care and if the Eagles win last night, I think 5-8 are just making up the numbers this year.

The one in the last 30 or seconds of last nights game, if that gets called as it should have been, the Eagles get a free and kick inside 50. There's a good chance they can force a score. That changes the result of the game.

Umpires absolutely influence the outcome of games. In a close game, where there is less than a goal difference, almost every umpiring decision in the last few minutes has the ability to impact the result of the game.

So sick of *******s running with the umpires dont change games bullshit.

*Congrats to Collingwood

Gohawthorn13

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Honestly. The Rolling maul that is the game is the issue not the umpiring. Trying to umpire 36 players within one third of the ground and you're going to have a bad time.
It’s a rolling maul because the umps give the player a year and a half to get rid of the ball. Be more strict on holding the ball when a player gets dispossessed from a tackle that he tries to break its holding the ball.

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
The new motto for WA . And on top of the list is Eastern States germ carrying Football umpires.
''WE DON'T WANT PEOPLE FROM THE EAST COMING HERE. DON'T COME . WE DON'T WANT YOU. STAY AWAY '' (WA Premier.)
The field umpires lost the game for the Eagles tonight with the most one- sided incompetent , blatantly incompetent performance which was always going to happen against the West Coast. I hope your isolation now in Perth will be horrid. You deserve it .
I have read this post a few times and every time the last 2 sentences confuse me as to who you are referring to.
I gather you are referring to the umps but you could be referring to the Eagles players who need to do another full 2 weeks of isolating. Or you could be referring to the people of the state as a whole which is a bit rude considering many don't agree with the ridiculously hard and stubborn stance Mcgrowlin is taking.
I didn't think the Umps had to isolate here??

Aug 24, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Seriously though... Do the AFL ever change things up?

Stevic, Chamberlain, Ryan... Always the same 3 featuring in finals and I don't believe that 2 of them are Top 6 quality. So what is really going on? Is it just playing favourites or is there something more to it?

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
It’s a rolling maul because the umps give the player a year and a half to get rid of the ball. Be more strict on holding the ball when a player gets dispossessed from a tackle that he tries to break its holding the ball.
or call for the ball up after 5 seconds and throw it up within 5 seconds. rather than wait 15 and then as theyre about to pay htb it kinda somehow gets out only for someone else to dive on it and the whole process starts again.

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
if we can fine players for faking for a free (staging) what about faking a touch like tonight? both are dishonest unsportsmanlike acts.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
if we can fine players for faking for a free (staging) what about faking a touch like tonight? both are dishonest unsportsmanlike acts.
1084to.jpg

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

i'm being serious. unfortunate it was your guy tonight...but give me a reason why it shouldnt be treated the same as staging.

it was pretty obvious he didnt touch it, the vision and his demeanour directly after.

game would be much better for it without these grubby acts.

Back