Autopsy 2nd Semi Final, 2020: Richmond v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

The main things that hurt us...

Goal kicking
Centre clearances

Ryder was a huge loss in the end.

The development of players such as Clark, Coff and King will see us continue to improve. Interested to see how Bytel goes too

How do you help the midfield to improve? Big question facing the recruiters this trade period. Taranto would obviously be amazing. I'd look at Crouch too.

I loved the endeavour of the players, they never gave up. If the ball didn't go back to the middle after a goal we might have got a run on. But every time we looked like it they would get a huge centre clearance. It also helped them to get a big run on.

He looks worked out and can't handle not having a run at the ball, as soon as some one stands him he stops. We should almost try him at HBF and move Hunter in when that happens. Once he has a bad patch he seems to drop in confidence.
I wouldn't be doing that.

That's where he played at Sydney and he looks twice the player he was there.

He just needs to work his way around it. With Clark coming in it might push Jones and Ross out to the wing a bit more but we still want him around the footy.

I wouldn't be doing that.

That's where he played at Sydney and he looks twice the player he was there.

He just needs to work his way around it. With Clark coming in it might push Jones and Ross out to the wing a bit more but we still want him around the footy.

He definitely did early on but if he's not firing in the mids he either gets dropped or moves position. It frees up Hunter to the midfield which is a bonus.

Thought he had good year , still developing midfield mate.
100% agree mate. Wasn’t having a crack at him.

In fact I rate him that highly I think he could be as good as his brothers peak
He looks worked out and can't handle not having a run at the ball, as soon as some one stands him he stops. We should almost try him at HBF and move Hunter in when that happens. Once he has a bad patch he seems to drop in confidence.
Imagine this gringo...

We go back to full length quarters. Back at Etihad or a beautiful day at the G.

We get Gresh back and a good inside mid.

What do you think that does to Jones and Hill?

The moment we lost Gresh, our most important midfielder was Jones. He is explosive and dynamic off a step. So you as an opposition club need to lock him down. Get another good ball winner and Jones will stand off the first contest in the centre and receive the ball on the move.

Hill had a poor game. But he is an outside player. If we can’t feed the ball to him - then he won’t look good. I’m hoping Caldwell comes but he develops into the player the draft watches believe he will be. Alone he will transform our midfield. Then he brings a few along for the ride.

Imagine this gringo...

The moment we lost Gresh, our most important midfielder was Jones. He is explosive and dynamic off a step. So you as an opposition club need to lock him down. Get another good ball winner and Jones will stand off the first contest in the centre and receive the ball on the move.

Hill had a poor game. But he is an outside player. If we can’t feed the ball to him - then he won’t look good. I’m hoping Caldwell comes but he develops into the player the draft watches believe he will be. Alone he will transform our midfield. Then he brings a few along for the ride.

Or he gets pushed out by Taranto or Caldwell who steps up to be another Steele I like too. Either way it sounds good. That's true that he's getting more attention though.

No he won't get dropped and I doubt we move him to the back flank.

As I said, there's room for all of them rotating through.

If we had options his late season form probably would see him playing VFL. I think Stavro is right though, getting other midis will give him some space and freedom. It was around the time Gresham went down his output collapsed.

Sorry for butting in again, I'm struggling to understand why Clark isn't getting mentioned a lot more. This kid is an absolute superstar.
If he isn't better then Pendlebury at the same age, I'll go he.
He should be Captain by the time he hits 26-27

Yeah, he's a gun, looks like he has Pendlebury qualities.

Sorry for butting in again, I'm struggling to understand why Clark isn't getting mentioned a lot more. This kid is an absolute superstar.
He should move to more of a permanent midfielder next year. He looks so promising. Incredibly clean and composed on both sides.

Been a great year guys. Geelong win tonight and we finish 5th. From where we were 12 months ago it is an unbelievable improvement.

Woke up this morning immensely proud of the way we've conducted ourselves this year. Super professional and had many jumping on the bandwagon. No COVID breaches, no assaults outside kebab shops, no whinging or complaining about the circumstances. Just got on with doing the jumper and the supporters proud.

I used to like Richmond but think they have lost their way a bit. Their arrogance has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Complained all year about going into hubs. Undisciplined on and off the field. Think they lost a lot of general support this year, myself included.

They don't win with very much grace and they can revel in that now given they are a good side but once that pendulum inevitably swings the other way in the next few years I doubt they will have many others wishing them well. Winning is almost everything. It's about how you win. Powerhouse teams in the past have been revered for obviously their play but also how they conducted themselves. I can't say Richmond will have the same reputation.

As for us the year speaks for itself. Ratts and co have instilled humility, belief and pride in our group. They know what it means to all St.Kilda people. I don't think they understood that in the past, but the way the club has been able to let the fans in, in a very challenging year, has been first class.

We've seen players emerge. Butler, Jones, Howard, Ryder, Hill all came in and are all best 22. Steele becoming one of the premiere midfielders in the competition. King having a great first year. Clark, Coffield, Paton all becoming important cogs in the backline. Hunter's move into the midfield next year is going to be so exciting.

Anyway I could go on and on. We are building nicely. In 2003 when we were in a similar position we finished 11-11 and missed the eight. I think that experience would've been invaluable, so to make the eight this year and actually win a final is going to be a catalyst to drive this playing group over the summer. This year has been full of learnings and important development. Winning games interstate. Building bonds with each other staying in hubs. Breaking hoodoos all year (winning at the Adelaide Oval, first win against Port since 2011, first win against Sydney since 2011, first finals win since 2010).

We'll look back on this year as the year that turned the clubs fortunes around. In trying circumstances, the youngest team in the competition finished in the top six.

I can't wait for next year. I haven't been this excited for a new season since probably the end of 2003. Core of young exciting talented players who now understand what it takes to win interstate and to win finals. Something the 2003 group didn't have, yet finished a kick away from a Grand Final the year after. 2021 will be a great year for us IMO.

If he gets to the level of Pendlebury for a even one or 2 seasons I’ll be stoked. Guy has been elite for like 10 years. But yeah, the time with ball in hand is Pendles-like, and his uncanny ability to free his arms and slip off tackles is wild. High hopes for him but don’t want to get ahead of myself.

Pissed off to lose to those campaigners made worse by how one sided media, umpiring and commentating was for them and the way they played dirty.

We ended up doing pretty well tho really, if we had kicked straight and the goal umpire could see it would be very close. Also missing Gresh who id rate in our top 5 players and is a massive out, Long, Carlisle, Ryder

We need to point out to the umpiring dpt the amount of times King is getting rag dolled and blocked off the ball. Should have literally got about 10 frees last night.

Cant believe how well Wilkie did on JRoo, he is such a good defender - he outsmarted players with his positioning that are bigger than him.

If we play Marsh, I think it would be better to try him in the backline. He could have helped out the defence last night and he doesn't threaten enough in the forward line.

Ross played very well. Members is really stepping up too. Clark looks so good in the guts. Coff is so steady intercepting everything and so calm and composed with ball in hand. Never looks like making an error. King missed some easy shots but played well. Battle looked very good forward although missed a soda- got a sore foot tho which gives him an excuse.

So excited for this team - we have a very bright future tho - look at our age profile. Most of our team is under 25.

Without any trades I reckon our starting midfield next year is looking good: Steele, Gresh, Clark, with rotation of Jones, Ross, Sincs and Bytel will be pretty good. Need to pump games into Bytel now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine this gringo...

Didn’t think you were mate .

Really think over next 2 years , if we get it right with development and think we will.

We are miles from the club and team that went around 18 months ago .

Thought we constantly had two small forwards too many , Gresham helps that , Butler for mine only
one required going forward think we have better midfield depth that are all goal kickers .

Therefore Jones , Clark , Steele , Gresham, Byrnes , Bytel with our new players acquired all play
minutes forward ...pretty sure that’s the plan , lots of rotations .

+1.

Maybe we were a bit overawed but I’d expect a player like Steele to raise the flag but anyway - Long would’ve done something lol
Look im happy we didn't get the free reversed, but should have been a lot more aggressive with them the whole game. We may have been a bit gun shy after Long got rubbed out

Does anyone else think that Lynch is the type to lurk around public toilets and dogging venues? His so called "hardness and playing on the edge" nonsense seems to happen when his unsuspecting targets have their backs turned and are facing the ground.
Absolute Muppet of a performer...

Don't start me on Cotchin.
Both absolute grubs

Didn’t think you were mate .

Really think over next 2 years , if we get it right with development and think we will.

We are miles from the club and team that went around 18 months ago .

Thought we constantly had two small forwards too many , Gresham helps that , Butler for mine only
one required going forward think we have better midfield depth that are all goal kickers .

Therefore Jones , Clark , Steele , Gresham, Byrnes , Bytel with our new players acquired all play
minutes forward ...pretty sure that’s the plan , lots of rotations .
Very hawthorn like.

Love the idea of Billings forward.

Not a huge fan of Kent and Lonie is just too small for my liking. Would love to see Gresh and Butler as the smalls. King/Marshall/another tall and Membrey as the mid size.

Billings Steele rotating forward.

Battle stays as a swing. Super important.

Was pissed like all last night and wake up feeling super proud of our club. I think all Saints supporters would have taken this position at the start of the year. With young stars in Clark, Coff, Patto, King, Battle with support of Gresh, Steele, Butler, Howard, Roma, Jones and finishing with Billings, Membrey, Hill etc we have a team that will be super competitive every week and winning decent amount of games next yr to have a another crack at the top 8. Hope we have a great trade period and add a couple of key players atleast to build further. Onwards and upwards for the mighty Sainters..our future is bright.

Long missing that game and Lynch / Cotchin playing next week will highlight everything wrong with comp.

Agree with this, the issue is the “potential to cause injury” if that’s the case then the long suspension is absolutely correct but Cotchins and Lynch’s “acts” had at least the same if not more potential to cause injury.

Of course the MRP has they all encompassing “no precedence” rule so they can completely and utterly ignore what they applied to Long.

The freeze frame showing Lynch taking out Paton

Nowhere near the ball
Not even an attempt to mark or spoil
Only to take Paton out
Chris Grant comes to mind doesn't it? In this age of the head been sacrosanct it is even higher duty of care. Should be reported and suspended.

from Grant's Wikipedia page...he was ineligible for the award due to a one-match suspension for striking Hawthorn's Nick Holland.[2] The incident (high contact while attempting to spoil a mark) was not deemed reportable by the umpires but Director of Football Operations Ian Collins decided Chris should be sent to the tribunal.[3]

Sounds quite a similar incident, doesn't it!

Also I feel we need a really decent mid sized forward. We seem to have only talls and smalls.

?? What about Membrey, Battle, Parker, Marsh and Mayo? I don't think any of these is regarded as a true tall forward. I am guessing that Ratts wants to make Marshall play more forward time and wants someone who can come in after Ryder is gone as the first ruck.

There were pretty much two things that held us back. Kicking for goal and centre clearances. Both have been strengths of ours this year. Ryder being out was seriously unlucky. different match if he plays.

This wasn't one of the biggest factors, but Richmond's smalls are so proactive. They get to the drop zone better than anyone and run away with it from contests so well. They were often just a split second more aware of the drop zone from a contest than our crumbers were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back