News Adam Saad nominates Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fast-forwarding to 2021, having Saad as an attacking half-back is a really exciting, potentially team- transformative, recruitment exercise.

For me, the on-field leadership and coaching of Docherty will allow Saad to do exactly what he wants; run, carry and attack. Doc has the acumen to create the match-ups that will allow this to happen as much as possible.

Between he and Williams, our ‘metres gained’ stat just dramatically increased.

A rotation of Saad, Williams, Walsh, LOB and Newnes through the wings has plenty of potential.

Gives us plenty of flexibility if particular match-ups aren’t working.

A rotation of Saad, Williams, Walsh, LOB and Newnes through the wings has plenty of potential.

Gives us plenty of flexibility if particular match-ups aren’t working.
I’ve put a line through LOB.

seen enough to conclude he wouldn’t be a finals pressure player and that’s the only people we can carry.

I would too. His 1 on 1 defensive skill could be as or more valuable though. He's got a great strike rate locking down opposing smalls, something we've somewhat struggled doing for a while.

Be interesting to see how that plays out

This year, Plow spanked Papley, Walters, Cameron

Maybe rather than playing Saad as a fulltime BP, or straight out wing, he could play that tweener role

If reports are true that he wanted to play a more attacking role, maybe that's what swayed his decision to join us

seen enough to conclude he wouldn’t be a finals pressure player and that’s the only people we can carry.

I’ve got the pen to paper about to cross it, but another season and another opportunity to turn his tank, quality skills, solid decision making and junior form into an AFL standard winger give me a semblance of hope that he might make it. I honestly think he should just fully embrace the outside roll and rely on our contested ball winners to feed him - it’s what we need as a team.

Last edited:
I reckon the Plow-factor is what helped sway him to the Blues; knowing he won’t have to take the best oppositional small/medium AND be expected to rebound.

This recruitment would’ve been a long time coming. He’ll fill a big hole across half-back and Williams can be pushed further up-field. It’s a clear sign of strong and directional list management. Williams would obviously know this, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe rather than playing Saad as a fulltime BP, or straight out wing, he could play that tweener role

If reports are true that he wanted to play a more attacking role, maybe that's what swayed his decision to join us

I’m always a bit worried when I hear players have been told they’re being recruited to play the role they really want.

But on this occasion I’m thinking positive and telling myself that itmeans the MC have a clear idea of how they want to play.

I’m always a bit worried when I hear players have been told they’re being recruited to play the role they really want.

But on this occasion I’m thinking positive and telling myself that itmeans the MC have a clear idea of how they want to play.
I'm yet to give you your riding instructions for next season on bf, passy - think you'll be quietly surprised........

I found the quote somewhere. Didn't save it but I believe it was along the lines of he was fine 'sacrificing his game as required by the team but frustrated heavily that other players wouldn't do the same'. Who would want to sacrifice and play when your team mates are bigger than the team they play for.

I found the quote somewhere. Didn't save it but I believe it was along the lines of he was fine 'sacrificing his game as required by the team but frustrated heavily that other players wouldn't do the same'. Who would want to sacrifice and play when your team mates are bigger than the team they play for.

It's a fair point

Have always said that you don't need the best team, coach, gameplan, but you do need total buy in

I'm actually pretty bullish on LOB. I find it hard to see why anyone would put a line through him this year as no-one has seen him play at all except maybe some couple of minutes of recorded vision from scratch matches. There hasn't even been VFL games to watch and make some sort of judgement. Don't be so keen to pass judgement based on a year when those not in the 1sts haven't had much scope to push their claims for selection.

Re Saad, yes he would be a good get and I hope to see him in navy blue next year. Don't overpay though.

Wondering, is it possible we might actually play Saad on a wing?

I would roll with it

I think we've got more good options for wingers than we do for genuine line-breakers out of defence.

I'd be pretty disappointed to bring in 2 very good, very quick HBFs and play neither in the backline.

Per the above; do you think Williams is best suited as a HBF or further upfield? Genuine question, as I seriously wonder where his best position is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back