Will the Tim Kelly trade go down as one of the worst ever ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't need to search Kram's posting history. His word is good. For a Liberal voter obvs.

But it's not Kram vs the world. If you go back to the 2019 version of 'who are the top 10 midfielders in the game?' discussion plenty of people had Tim Kelly in their lists. Plenty of Geelong fans were adamant he was their best mid. Where have all those people gone?

Well for me, I'm not really one to pile on and time will tell. It seemed like a fair deal at the time, everyone was happy... good luck to the Eagles and Kelly. I know if you look back at my history, I was pretty perplexed throughout the year that Kelly was cemented in to a starting spot in everyone's AA midfield, whereas Dangerfield was an afterthought on the bench if he was in the team at all.

For me, it seemed pretty clear that all due respect to Kelly, Dangerfield was not only a better player, but he'd been more important to us in 2019. Now I'm not sure if the numbers backed that up, but from watching the games that's how it looked to me.

I was hopeful that with mature quality players like Steven and Jenkins to walk into our 22, we'd still have a side that could challenge. I couldn't have predicted that we'd still be in this position despite getting essentially nothing from those two players through Guthrie finally delivering on his potential and Menegola improving from a C+/B- mid to being unlucky to miss out on AA selection.

Apr 3, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
To be fair he couldn't cope with a tag at the Cats either, I remember De Boar holding him to 9 possessions

Yeah if I had to pick out a chink in Kelly's game it would be battling a hard tag, but he'll learn to deal with it better.

Funny how when the rest of the team is playing well the tag melts away ala Greenwood on Duncan last night. If Kelly was getting minimal support from the rest of the Eagles mids I'm not surprised he struggled.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
You must be really happy Fremantle never got their wish then, to quote Peter Bell at the time -

On securing Kelly, should he request a trade to WA
It’s up to us to go in there and pitch as hard as we can. It’s very complicated isn’t it? As Geelong have invested a lot into Tim and the family. Clearly we like him, we’ll be doing everything we can.

Kelly, 25, is yet to request a trade but in the event that he does, the Dockers want to ensure the South Fremantle product views them as a "viable option", Freo football boss Peter Bell said.

Bell hoped "significant change" at the club, including a change of coaches from Ross Lyon to the newly appointed Justin Longmuir, would improve the Dockers' position.

"By no means are we giving up on the race for Tim Kelly.
Your point?

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Anyone know what draft pick WCE are awarded after exiting the finals in week 1?

Geelong's victory over Collingwood means its own first-round pick remains later in the order at No.16, but the Cats already have two selections at No.11 and No.13 confirmed, courtesy of Gold Coast and West Coast's earlier exits.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Players have one quiet season and all of a sudden they aren’t any good.

The fact if the matter is that at Geelong he was third midfielder (maybe 4th alongside Duncan) and at Eagles he is top 2. Therefore he gets far more attention from the opposition. He will learn to deal with it and be fine. Every midfielder goes through this. It will help once Yeo is back as well.

people are too quick to jump to conclusions.

Nov 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
It was part of their bail out draft concessions for being terrible. That pick 11 was fixed. The got a large amount of concessions, including signing academy and ngs at no cost

Thanks, again, but I can't remember what Geelong traded for it - I could probably look it up but you seem to be an expert so hopefuly you can save me the trouble? :)

Edit: looked it up anyway - turns out we traded pick 27 last year for pick 11 this year; not a bad result.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thanks, again, but I can't remember what Geelong traded for it - I could probably look it up but you seem to be an expert so hopefuly you can save me the trouble? :)

Edit: looked it up anyway - turns out we traded pick 27 last year for pick 11 this year; not a bad result.
Sorry my bad. They were keen on Jeremy Sharpe iirc (gc that is). Good deal by the cats

Trebor57

Senior List
Apr 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Arsenal
Your point?

Perhaps I misunderstood Piggy Smalls view on Kelly and the Kelly trade but you don't sound too impressed with Kelly from these remarks of yours,
"Yep , we’ve already seen the best of kelly and that was at Geelong.
Like hill at the saints the blokes just happy to be collecting his retirement fund", so on that basis I'd expect you'd be happy and some other Freo supporters are too that although it seems Peter Bell and the Dockers rated him and thought they should "be doing everything we can" to get him, it didn't happen.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Perhaps I misunderstood Piggy Smalls view on Kelly and the Kelly trade but you don't sound too impressed with Kelly from these remarks of yours,
"Yep , we’ve already seen the best of kelly and that was at Geelong.
Like hill at the saints the blokes just happy to be collecting his retirement fund", so on that basis I'd expect you'd be happy and some other Freo supporters are too that although it seems Peter Bell and the Dockers rated him and thought they should "be doing everything we can" to get him, it didn't happen.
I’m not sure how much you can read into Bell’s comments.

We had a situation where required players were wanting to leave (Neale, Hill, Langdon) and Freo would not want to be exposed as not at least having a crack at getting Kelly. Could you imagine if he came to West Coast and won an AA or Brownlow at a time where players were leaving Freo and Bell was on the record saying we didn’t want him?

On top of that I’m sure Freo and Kelly willingly would have went through the motions to help ensure West Coast paid as much as possible for him.

But like I said in my last post I don’t personally care. I don’t think he’s a bust at WC by any means but I’m happy with the midfield we are developing through the draft.

Trebor57

Senior List
Apr 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Arsenal
I’m not sure how much you can read into Bell’s comments.

We had a situation where required players were wanting to leave (Neale, Hill, Langdon) and Freo would not want to be exposed as not at least having a crack at getting Kelly. Could you imagine if he came to West Coast and won an AA or Brownlow at a time where players were leaving Freo and Bell was on the record saying we didn’t want him?

On top of that I’m sure Freo and Kelly willingly would have went through the motions to help ensure West Coast paid as much as possible for him.

But like I said in my last post I don’t personally care. I don’t think he’s a bust at WC by any means but I’m happy with the midfield we are developing through the draft.

Fair enough. But for Freo supporters who don't rate Kelly, they'd have to be happy that they haven't got him. And yes they'd be happy with the mids you do have developing nicely at this stage.

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
Purple creep show with nothing better to do in their lives aside.😴
He was good .A bit up and down early got more consistent as the season went on. Different role at the Eagles than he had at Geelong .
Just shut up, you're embarrassing yourself.

Apr 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators
Nah Eagles just need to learn to use him better

Eagles need to tweak their game plan in a few areas next season seeing as it hasn't changed much in three seasons and opposition teams are wise to ways to nullify a few strengths here and there imo .
But the current group of players are better than good enough to win another premiership Kelly included .
I find it annoying when our coaches say if we took our chances we would of won that game that we lost by a few points every time we lose a very winable game .

Last edited:

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
Eagles need to tweak their game plan in a few areas next season seeing as it hasn't changed much in three seasons and opposition teams are wise to ways to nullify a few strengths here and there imo
But the current group of players are better than good enough to win another premiership Kelly included .
I find it annoying when coaches say if we took our chances we would of won that game that we lost by a few points every time we lose a very winable game
Kelly is best used ahead of centre where he can kick a goal or two and set up a few, he's quick without being super quick and has a good disposal

Apr 25, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
stirling senators
Kelly is best used ahead of centre where he can kick a goal or two and set up a few, he's quick without being super quick and has a good disposal
Kelly suits the big body power game the Eagles coaching staff like with the midfield onballers .With Yeo missing the second half of the season he was always going to play mostly mid field minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back