Name some players like Jason Heatley (one season wonders)

Remove this Banner Ad

That's disgusting!

No wonder "he" was banished for the remainder of the season.
He popped his shoulder about 2 minutes after kicking the goal. Season done. Knights was cruelled by injury for the next few years, traded to Richmond in 2013 and looked like getting back to his best before doing his ACL.

He popped his shoulder about 2 minutes after kicking the goal. Season done. Knights was cruelled by injury for the next few years, traded to Richmond in 2013 and looked like getting back to his best before doing his ACL.
Yes, I was only being sarcastic!

As you said he was cruelled with injury and Could've been anything, much like Fitzgerald and Hentschel.

Rhys Palmer. Taken same draft as his then great mate Chris Masten with both expected to have similar careers [solid players who work hard but butcher it a bit]. Palmer bursts out the blocks in 2008 and wins the rising star and that's the ceiling, while Masten is a slow burn but becomes a useful 200 gamer at West Coast. Palmer became a useful role player late in his time at the Giants, but never the same.

Rhys Palmer. Taken same draft as his then great mate Chris Masten with both expected to have similar careers [solid players who work hard but butcher it a bit]. Palmer bursts out the blocks in 2008 and wins the rising star and that's the ceiling, while Masten is a slow burn but becomes a useful 200 gamer at West Coast. Palmer became a useful role player late in his time at the Giants, but never the same.

Think he ended up on a he blues list as steak knives in a deal with GWS

Can’t put a name to it but a Richmond defender in early 2000 who had one good season and was given massive contract as he had other clubs sniffing around... spudded it up to obscurity after that.

Can’t put a name to it but a Richmond defender in early 2000 who had one good season and was given massive contract as he had other clubs sniffing around... spudded it up to obscurity after that.
Joel Bowden?

Not a spud but I think he got a fair deal and then declined from then on.

Ben Holland? Had a good 2001, then injuries struck, went to Melbourne and faded into obscurity.

Jason Heatley was a very good FF. He was on WC list but despite kicking a bag every game for Subi Malthouse refused point blank to select him. Said he wasnt defensive enough.

Morabito was a bull. Cut down by multiple ACLs.
Who was the race car driver/ full forward played couple decent seasons at west coast somebody Wilson

so has Aaron Keating. if his name wasn't Ablett the amount of allowances he got wouldn't have happened.

What allowances? Being drafted? Playing a couple of seasons?

Oh wow we just turned a blind eye to everything for him.

The kid was genuinely good and kicked 46 goals from 28 games and won a flag playing basically as a back up to Mooney and Johnson in the forward line.

If he was keen to push himself he could have forged a long career anywhere he wanted.

Warren Ralph from Carlton perhaps. Kicked 35 goals in his first 7 games including 9 on debut.Then faded already, was in and out of the team, but still kicked 8 in a losing QF. Only played 7 more games for 17 goals (including bags of 5 and 7) in 2 more seasons.

But he did ok in the west leading the leagues goalkicking 3 times and also winning 3 premierships...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know if he has been mentioned but surely Geoff Blethyn owns this thread?

In and out of team and first 4 years kicks 1/12/33/21. Then kicks 107. Then goes back to 30 the following year then never plays again.

So he goes 1/12/33/21/107/30.

Last edited:
Joel Bowden?

Not a spud but I think he got a fair deal and then declined from then on.

It was Darren gasper I was thinking of I read his stats he was a decent player over 200 odd games, just had a recollection he got a big contract and then the talk of him being over paid

In and out of team and first 4 years kicks 1/12/33/21. Then kicks 107. Then goes back to 30 the following year then never plays again.

It wasn't 30 goals the following year. He played a couple of years for Claremont and went back to Essendon for one last season in 1976.

That multi-million dollar guy whose name i've forgotten. had two good games for the doggies in 2016?
The OP asked for a one season wonder - not a one game wonder.

I still laugh at Doggies supporters who try to justify it. Imagine if they paid a decent footballer that coin. He probably would have kicked 3 as well and have done it every second week for the last 6 years. Instead you've paid for a guy who played 10 passable games and 40 horrific ones and is already retired at the age of 24. They all say "no Boyd, no flag" but maybe they would have pissed in 2016 and had a crack at a few more if they gave his money to someone better. It just reeks of desperation.

heatley was able to transfer better than spinks

WAFL had a glut of key forwards who were too good for WAFL - but for some reason couldn’t transfer it to AFL

Spinks, fewster, Donnelly, groom and heatley to a point

in particular Brett Spinks had all the tools - and absolutely monstered WAFL footy

Brad Smith is another one from the 2000s.

Jason Watts kicked 44 goals for Footscray in 1996. For his other 5 years combined he kicked a total of 7 goals.

Followed by James Cook's 36 goals in 14 games (including 7 in Round 22, and another 10 across 2 finals) in 1997.

He played in the first game of live footy that I ever went to, on a wet, muddy day at Windy Hill. I was only about 4 or 5 but wondered how his glasses didn't fog up.

Just looking at the stats for the match, Blethyn kicked 7.8 and Dougie Wade kicked 5.2 for the Cats. I always thought Blethyn was taller for some reason, Simon Madden size but says he was only 6ft. Kicked 107 for the year and McKenna kicked 130.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back