AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Has a short video interview with McGrath in there, nothing too exciting, but mentions the young group which is a recurring theme in the messaging from the club.

Also wonder if this is a bit of a Heath Hocking re-signing in 2016 moment, Hocking (along with others like Hooker) were the heart and soul of the club. Hopefully McGrath can be that moving forward, we need it.

Last edited:
2 year's means if we're still shithouse in that time, Andy can walk away sooner and easier.

It's up to the club to put the performance's out on the field.

I'm just happy he is extending.

Ridley next please.

My thoughts exactly.

Why not 4 years?

Probably gives him a better chance of a pay-day; 2 years time he's potentially played full-time mid for two seasons, and highly likely he's club captain. Much better negotiating position.

Makes sense. Forgive me if it still sends an ill wind through my very soul.

Wouldn't worry too much, from an athlete management point of view it makes a lot of sense given where the game is at right now. A lot of unknowns, big thing is he's signed on now, amidst all the speculation and rumours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Signing long contracts as a young (very talented) player can hurt rather than help you. The security's good yes, but when you improve, you could be already locked into a deal that's far below what your performance warrants.
Scottie Pippen :(

Wouldn't worry too much, from an athlete management point of view it makes a lot of sense given where the game is at right now. A lot of unknowns, big thing is he's signed on now, amidst all the speculation and rumours.
Signing long contracts as a young (very talented) player can hurt rather than help you. The security's good yes, but when you improve, you could be already locked into a deal that's far below what your performance warrants.

Ok well you've both eased my concerns. I view this now as 'GREAT NEWS!'

It may be a Captain Obvious statement - but we didn't take the same approach with Saad

Not sure what you're meaning here sorry?
You were syaing that 2 years is a good option based on current circumstances of the game, which I don't entirely disagree with.

My point was more that we offered Saad 5 years under the same conditions, so I don't know if the state of the AFL is really changing contract offers and their length for any club.

You were syaing that 2 years is a good option based on current circumstances of the game, which I don't entirely disagree with.

My point was more that we offered Saad 5 years under the same conditions, so I don't know if the state of the AFL is really changing contract offers and their length for any club.

in 2 years McGrath will be worth far more than the offer we tabled to Saad.

Different stages of their career; McGrath is still trending upwards, and is (in my guess) likely to be the Captain in 2 years time, his earning potential now is much lower than in two years time.

Saad is basically at his peak, whatever he signs now is likely to be the biggest contract he'll sign. Doing 2 years means he risks a drop of form / injury or simply being offered less given he might only have a couple of years left if he was OOC in 2022.

McGrath will be 24 / 25 in 2 years time, which would make his situation similar to where Saad is now. Likely that's the stage he'll look for a 5 year type deal.

The fact that he has signed on gives me hope.
My hope rests with the younger players like Pidge, Ridley, Draper, Langford, Laverde, Parish Etc. They give so much heart and soul on the field unlike our ageing or established players who look cooked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back