Autopsy 2nd Semi Final, 2020: Richmond v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
14 of our 22 under 100 games ... that's a heck of a lot going to be entering their prime over the next couple of years ... supplement that during trade period, and I see happy days with a reasonably deep team in 2021
Its looks to be developing very nice with some quality young kids
Looking good for a solid run for a few years

14 of our 22 under 100 games ... that's a heck of a lot going to be entering their prime over the next couple of years ... supplement that during trade period, and I see happy days with a reasonably deep team in 2021

We have a few that have potential to make Bwooce drool.

PostmanBish

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
And having said that we get one of the best finishes ever and hold them off for a draw.

Probably the best Bledisloe finish since Eales' game back in '01 ... which I was privileged to be in the stands for thanks to a change of jobs, and being persuaded to buy the "last two raffle tickets" from my new V.P.

Best ... second ... prize ... ever!

Kennedy84

Senior List
Oct 8, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Wonder if they'll apply the new "a few millimeters either way" rule to Tom Lynch 🤔

(I don't actually think Lynch should be suspended, one was a marking contest and while the other is a dog act there was no force behind it, but it is an amusing thought)
No leniency should be afforded to players when the play has stopped.
Long was in the contest ...cotchin and lynch's were premeditated, far far worse

malevu

Club Legend
Nov 1, 2013
Animal Enclosure
AFL Club
St Kilda
Cotchin was a star in his early twenties, considered better than Dusty. Martin has left him in his wake now and Cotchin is not considered in the same league any more. He just plays like an angry prick these days and for a long time has been a protected species by the MRP. If they were fair dinkum he could be cited every week. Just plays like a dirty mongrel these days. I hope he gets his just deserts next week.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Personally I love Cotch, I’ve had a running joke with some mates that “finals Cotch” is just a genuine hardass who kills to win the footy.

His physicality is inspiring and lifts his teammates, he does everything at a million miles an hour.

Having said that this year he’s gotten it wrong way more than he has any right too, the Jones tackle was pretty horrible and isn’t tough it hard, it’s pathetic and he’s better than that (in my opinion).

Yep I understand that you need to be one of the top teams to get the calls, yep I understand that we are not there yet as far as having the list and wins, yep I understand that when your team wins you have the right to heap s**t on other teams supporters.

Yep I should just be cool with Cotchin ripping Jones head off with the ball no where in sight and Lynch being able to knee our player in the head (and be cool with Long being rubbed out for for nothin) but ffs it is hard to put up with the bullshit coming from Richmond supporters.

I used to like Richmond.....not anymore.

Proud to be a Saints man, I will not act with righteousness when we start to be the team that gets the calls. Yep it will happen.

I will be watching our team win, there will be no need to be a insecure fu..er when and not call out bullshit. Will continue to do so

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Hoping to see Port tear them a new one ... failing that, whoever gets through to the GF had better show up, and do the job.

If Richmond gets past Port they are a pretty good chance of winning another flag, they demolished Geelong the last time they played them and would probably still be favourites against Brisbane despite losing to them last week. I think Port will beat them though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PostmanBish

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Given the year and the circumstances a port v bris grand final would be my first choice right now, from a spectacle and interest point of view. I hate Geelong and Richmond are difficult to like right now.

I really want to see Hardwick having to suck up a devastating loss at this stage ... he's turned into a smug little pr*ck who forgets how close he was to being run down by the Richmond lynch mob a few seasons ago ...

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
You know I usually don't take much stock with Kane Cornes and his blatherings but I think there is a kernel of truth in his assessment of our game against Richmond.
Basically said we didn't bring the physicality and pressure needed to beat a team like Richmond. Mentioned only 38 tackles against Richmond.

Also singled out Hill as one that wouldn't put his body on the line which was pretty spot on.

There was a lot of complaints about how dirty Richmond were, well who flew the flag for the Saints and hit them just as hard. Cotchin should not have walked off the ground but was allowed to do what he wanted.

We need to learn from that loss. We got easily beaten. Which in context was a good loss if we do learn what it takes.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
You know I usually don't take much stock with Kane Cornes and his blatherings but I think there is a kernel of truth in his assessment of our game against Richmond.
Basically said we didn't bring the physicality and pressure needed to beat a team like Richmond. Mentioned only 38 tackles against Richmond.

Also singled out Hill as one that wouldn't put his body on the line which was pretty spot on.

There was a lot of complaints about how dirty Richmond were, well who flew the flag for the Saints and hit them just as hard. Cotchin should not have walked off the ground but was allowed to do what he wanted.

We need to learn from that loss. We got easily beaten. Which in context was a good loss if we do learn what it takes.

Yes we need to be tougher and stand up to that sort of stuff but the umpires also need to stamp it out as well by paying free kicks and fifties when Richmond took cheap shots at our players, instead they seemed to be too scared to pay them for fear of upsetting their players and Hardwick. They let Richmond get away with it and so they kept on doing it, if we had retaliated in kind you can bet your bottom dollar that the umpires would have been penalising us with frees kicks and fifties.

Crusty Undies

This means peace here!
Oct 22, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
The thing that still grates me the most 2 days later is the lack of remonstration from our guys after the hits on Paton and Jones.

If someone had pulled that sh*t on a young Dal or Joey back in the day Hamill or the G Train would have ripped their heads off. Instead we had Geary give Cotchin a push to the chest and that was it.

Those actions should almost have sparked an all in brawl, especially in a cut throat final. Instead we allowed ourselves to be bullied.

I'd love to see them try that crap against Port with big Charlie or even SPP around.

Maybe we need to recruit an enforcer. Someone to help make the young guys walk taller. The problem is trying to find one who can still actually football ok.
Carlisle.

sauce_head

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 24, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda

I suppose one that would have would have “flown the flag” was suspended for a week because under different circumstances to that that transpired he may have hurt somebody, even though he didn’t. He was playing big boy football a week to early it appears.

Given that, it’s only natural that our players assumed that elbowing the side of heads in marking contests leading to actual (rather than potential) damage, sitting on and kneeing players heads in premeditated actions far behind play and grabbing players by the head and sling tackling after a whistle has already been blown, would attract suspension given the outcome for the aggrieved player was worse.

If all our players go around getting suspended then the coach and club would not be happy.

BUT MORE FOOL STKILDA. We didn’t realise the rules change between week 1 and week 2 of the finals and “big boy” interpretations are introduced where you can do whatever you like with impunity. That must be called finals experience - I wonder how they establish who has it and who doesn’t? 🤔

Silly weak StKilda not playing tough big boy rules after getting suspended for something less the week before. Don’t they know what rules the capricious MRP are going to apply in advance? Didn’t StKilda even realise the MRP wouldn’t ever bother to review two of those incidents, or at the very least keep its review secret?

I think next season we best recruit a clairvoyant before we even bother with a push for midfielders.

Give. Me. A. *. Ing. Break.

Yes we need to be tougher and stand up to that sort of stuff but the umpires also need to stamp it out as well by paying free kicks and fifties when Richmond took cheap shots at our players, instead they seemed to be too scared to pay them for fear of upsetting their players and Hardwick. They let Richmond get away with it and so they kept on doing it, if we had retaliated in kind you can bet your bottom dollar that the umpires would have been penalising us with frees kicks and fifties.

If a player has his neck twisted too far and becomes disabled, its open season on suing the AFL. They allow it.

Yep , instead of the condescending prick saying "its a big boy's game " he'd be saying how undisciplined the Saints were.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Yep , instead of the condescending prick saying "its a big boy's game " he'd be saying how undisciplined the Saints were.

Richmond were undisciplined against Brisbane as well but the umpires punished them with frees and fifties, for whatever reason they weren't punished for the same ill discipline against us. I guess it makes a difference when you're a top 2 team like Brisbane playing on your home ground in front of your home crowd.

As I said before, if we had been as undisciplined as Richmond we would have been punished for it both on the field and probably off the field too with suspensions.

The rules are applied differently depending on where you are on the ladder, higher ranked teams are given preferential treatment over lower ranked teams.

Richmond were undisciplined against Brisbane as well but the umpires punished them with frees and fifties, for whatever reason they weren't punished for the same ill discipline against us. I guess it makes a difference when you're a top 2 team like Brisbane playing on your home ground in front of your home crowd.

As I said before, if we had been as undisciplined as Richmond we would have been punished for it both on the field and probably off the field too with suspensions.

The rules are applied differently depending on where you are on the ladder, higher ranked teams are given preferential treatment over lower ranked teams.

Richmond had complained after the Lions, and the moronic organization that is the umpires, responded in their favour.
Hardwick then said his team had been more disciplined this week , which was bullshit.

I suppose one that would have would have “flown the flag” was suspended for a week because under different circumstances to that that transpired he may have hurt somebody, even though he didn’t. He was playing big boy football a week to early it appears.

Given that, it’s only natural that our players assumed that elbowing the side of heads in marking contests leading to actual (rather than potential) damage, sitting on and kneeing players heads in premeditated actions far behind play and grabbing players by the head and sling tackling after a whistle has already been blown, would attract suspension given the outcome for the aggrieved player was worse.

If all our players go around getting suspended then the coach and club would not be happy.

BUT MORE FOOL STKILDA. We didn’t realise the rules change between week 1 and week 2 of the finals and “big boy” interpretations are introduced where you can do whatever you like with impunity. That must be called finals experience - I wonder how they establish who has it and who doesn’t? 🤔

Silly weak StKilda not playing tough big boy rules after getting suspended for something less the week before. Don’t they know what rules the capricious MRP are going to apply in advance? Didn’t StKilda even realise the MRP wouldn’t ever bother to review two of those incidents, or at the very least keep its review secret?

I think next season we best recruit a clairvoyant before we even bother with a push for midfielders.

Give. Me. A. fu**. Ing. Break.

People forget what campaigner he was when he played. Hardwick was '90s tough like Glen Archer where they'd snipe people going for the ball with an elbow to the head or punching them behind play. He's just showing his true colours now. He targeted us in that game and we crumbled.

I hope next year we are a bit bigger and can teach them some manners. Two of the great faux tough guys in AFL. Lynch is embarrassing to be honest. He's a classic bully, puts on a tough guy act with a gang behind him but was a quiet soft guy when at GC.

PostmanBish

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda

... and if we had retaliated and won, we'd be going into the Prelim down a few more players, you betcha!

PostmanBish

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
If a player has his neck twisted too far and becomes disabled, its open season on suing the AFL. They allow it.

And they'd be quite right to pull up the "potential to cause injury" finding from Long's case, the footage of the Jones incident, and the deafening silence of the MRO as clear evidence that the AFL absolutely condones that sort of behaviour ... the league would need lube, and plenty of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back