2021 Australian Summer of Tennis*

How will the Aussie Open look

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

With the current case numbers in Melbourne looking unlikely to fall below Dan Andrews thresholds I'm really struggling to see how Aus Open will go ahead.
So I've noticed you've posted a couple of times now saying a) that we'll be in stage 4 in January and that b) the aus open won't go ahead in Melbourne.

What makes you think either of these things? If the Melbourne Cup goes ahead, the Boxing Day test goes ahead, then you'd imagine the Aus Open will go ahead.

Players will quarantine and then the tournament will go ahead. I still have doubts on crowds being able to attend, but I can't see it being moved to another city in Oz or being cancelled... Unless our numbers completely blow out.

Tiley has his work cut out for him if tennis players keep flouting the rules. It is also why Sam Querrey should get a nice ban coming up to prove a point.

Even now, reading on twitter, there are players sooking about 48 hours quarantine. I have little faith that all the tennis players will follow our rules if they are left to their own devices.

The article says the whole season could be played in Melbourne if states don't open up. Find that a joke TBH. There are no issues getting into Melbourne. The issue is Melbourne itself and that no one wants them in their state.

The fact that Tiley is still coming out with these press releases as such and not mentioning anything about plans means they still are long ways off. Was honestly expecting something this week, bit more worried about AO now.

I'm hearing that the Melbourne Cup will not have a crowd of any size. The next question will be the Boxing Day test. If that does not have crowds, then you can forget the Aus Open having crowds.

Yes, the tournament is 3 months away. However, you would expect players to start arriving in Australia just after Christmas. The logistics behind this going ahead will be even more of a nightmare than the US Open and French Open. Majority of players having to fly half way around the world to get here, then the strict quarantine measures in place, expect the unexpected in January.

I'm hearing that the Melbourne Cup will not have a crowd of any size. The next question will be the Boxing Day test. If that does not have crowds, then you can forget the Aus Open having crowds.

Yes, the tournament is 3 months away. However, you would expect players to start arriving in Australia just after Christmas. The logistics behind this going ahead will be even more of a nightmare than the US Open and French Open. Majority of players having to fly half way around the world to get here, then the strict quarantine measures in place, expect the unexpected in January.
Players will be arriving from the start of December. Potential arrival cities would be Perth, Brisbane, Gold Coast (Royal Pines would be used) with the aim of allowing players to train whilst in quarantine bubbles.

Cricket Australia has a crisis meeting with the Queensland government and health officials on Monday in an attempt to work through an impasse over Australian and Indian players quarantining in Brisbane ahead of what is one of the most important tours on the cricket calendar.
Senior sources in the Queensland government told The Australian players would be forced to serve a full 14-day quarantine period and would not be allowed to train in that period.

Any positive tests for COVID-19 would see the entire group serve another quarantine period, the source said.

Health department sources said there was no chance the cricketers could quarantine in a Brisbane hotel and train at the Allan Border field as planned.

A compromise could be offered at the meeting if cricket can, as the AFL did, find a resort where they can stay and train but the players have to be “entirely isolated from the general public”.
India is a good test case on what requirements our governments will want regarding international sporting stars. At this stage, it doesn't look good.

If the tennis players have to do this, then geech, the Aus Open is in major doubt. Or very very costly.

Yeah, politics is going to get in the way isn't it? I might have to talk myself into the Aus Open being canned now to hurt the pain of the inevitable announcement in a month or two

I'm surprised this is going ahead.

On another major sporting event. I don't see how the Melbourne Cup could possibly go ahead even without crowds. Are there going to be international horses competing? If so does that mean all the trainers, handlers, jockeys etc have to isolate for two weeks. Or have I missed the point completely? which is more likely.

the politics playing out is sadly backing up how i feel. I want to move on from this CoVid situation but i feel like our politicians wont allow that or allow major sporting events to occur , when they include stars from overseas. Will be watching with baited breath to see how the India test series happens and if that does than that will change how i feel about the Aus Open

the politics playing out is sadly backing up how i feel. I want to move on from this CoVid situation but i feel like our politicians wont allow that or allow major sporting events to occur , when they include stars from overseas. Will be watching with baited breath to see how the India test series happens and if that does than that will change how i feel about the Aus Open
I think worst case scenario will be no lead-up tournamants, just the AO. Construction of the temp broadcast compound has already begun at Melb Park

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised this is going ahead.

On another major sporting event. I don't see how the Melbourne Cup could possibly go ahead even without crowds. Are there going to be international horses competing? If so does that mean all the trainers, handlers, jockeys etc have to isolate for two weeks. Or have I missed the point completely? which is more likely.
horses dont get covid. ;)

I am not a huge expert, but most international trainers would probably have partnerships with local trainers/Werribee to house/train/prepare said horses and the small number of people would be needed onsite.

big news.....on the India front.

They look like they are allowed into NSW and are able to train. That is good news for international sport. Now to sort out 400 odd tennis players plus staff.....

be interesting to see how they will do this. I reckon those players outside the top 100 wouldn't care if they are allowed out of the hotel room as long as they have an exercise bike and that the hotel room is paid for. Or Tennis Aus could do a US and not bother with qualies.

hopefully we actually hear an actual plan soon.

I think worst case scenario will be no lead-up tournamants, just the AO. Construction of the temp broadcast compound has already begun at Melb Park
need lead up tournaments. But those might be all held in Melbourne, which would be a damn shame and a total fail for me.

WA will be super hard but if you can't work with the SA, NSW, or QLD governments to get players in, then you have no chance with VIC. And if you can get players in, then you can host a lead of tournament in that location. all 3 already have tennis tournaments in place.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the SA tennis centre is very close to Adel Oval and that Hotel over there?

If Vic (and NSW to a lesser degree) keep current numbers up, no reason it can't be 75% capacity, with fixed seating.

Tickets meant to be released November 26. Tiley has given organisers a week to approve multi-city arrangements otherwise all warm up events might be in Melbourne

Tickets meant to be released November 26. Tiley has given organisers a week to approve multi-city arrangements otherwise all warm up events might be in Melbourne
i will be fairly pissed off if all the events are in Melbourne. That is not an Australian Summer of tennis. That is a TV event designed to save money and a very boring one at that

And I assume Melbourne, who is not even accepting international passengers atm and was the scene of the worst outbreak, has signed this agreement regarding practice......money talks.

Also, Bianca Andreescu says she's good to go for the new year and will be at the Australian Open.

Not everything seems to be going to plan. perhaps, just maybe, try and get them in the country first Tennis Aus.

I read earlier that there will be further announcement's made by the 13th of November. Not sure if that is just for the AO or the whole Aussie summer of tennis

Confusing. There is no way they will be allowed to play a tournament in those 2 weeks. You be lucky to get them out of a hotel room. Heck, you be lucky to get them in a hotel room.

If covid cases going nuts overseas and the complete opposite here, I think tennis Australia has to cut some losses and just try to get them into the country. That means we lose some of the field, so be it. A call needs to be made soon. Perhaps the top top players can pay a fee to organise a resort with tennis grounds on site during the 14 days.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

The Australian and Victorian government will not put in jeopardy what we have achieved for the tennis tours. Players and their entourages will have to play by the rules our government set and i think they will be very strict.

Europe and America have lost control of the virus and governments here (especially Victoria) cannot risk someone bringing the virus who is associated with the tours.

Back