Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So I just did a quick call around to all 17 other clubs to get their thoughts on us letting Simmo go:
  • 14 were very eager for us to get rid of him;
  • one said they don't GAF; and
  • the other two asked me to get back to them in 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Without reading through five pages of this thread, my view is Simpson is a great coach in terms of bringing together a group and galvanising a team, but I think he lacks in both an overall gameplan sense & also as a gameday coach. He's basically the opposite of Luke Beveridge who seems to run gameday like an NFL coach.

Overall though, Simpson has obviously been super successful and I'd continue to back him in post this year (+ this year was cooked), but i wouldn't mind us going after another experienced assistant coach for fresh eyes, but maybe not realistic with the decrease in soft cap. A dedicated tackling coach would be very handy, & it could probably be Yeo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a great tactical coach
He knows how to build relationships
And i respect that modern football involves the capacity to build relationships
But Simpson has taken it too far. Its all very well and good to be close to the players, but when your so close to them and are more concerned with being their friend, as opposed to be their coach, there is a problem

If you look at world sport, you will find quite a few "nice guy" coaches that have won a title

You will find a lot fewer, if any, that have won more than one

And zero "nice guy" coaches that have built a dynasty

Therein lies our predicament

He's a great tactical coach
He knows how to build relationships
And i respect that modern football involves the capacity to build relationships
But Simpson has taken it too far. Its all very well and good to be close to the players, but when your so close to them and are more concerned with being their friend, as opposed to be their coach, there is a problem

Yeah clearly the problem is he’s too concerned with being the players’ friend. Just ask Schofield and Jetta.

The Priddis situation is a good example as is Dean Cox's end and Darren Glass' as well. Simpson eventually (when the players themselves weren't understanding that their time was done) then had a chat and/or performance managed them out of the team. It would have been unpopular moves that he did with real understanding that keeps the list together.
He has always been banging on about the "squad mentality" since he got here and unfortunately that comes with a bit of leeway for the list but when it gets too far off track (see examples above) he makes the move he thinks is the best in a way that doesn't cause much upheaval and allows the list to move on. Its the reason why after finally cleaning up the midfield so Redden wasn't being shoe horned into a s**t role that they were able to achieve what they did in 2018.
There is no way he is happy with the results and will always be working towards what he think will change them. Unfortunately with a softly softly approach the changes wont happen overnight but it will keep us a thereabouts overall with a chance at winning it all if a few things go our way.
He isn't on the match committee by himself nor is he in charge of recruiting and list management.

TLDR - I :hearts: Simmo

Geez what a sh!t thread.

Critical mass of injuries, caused by a compressed fixture, caused by 2020 Covid clusterf**k, derailed 2020 for us. The season was essentially a cr@pshoot with limited capacity to plan in advance like normal.

Simmo rules, OK!

The club has failed two years in a row when we are well and truly in a premiership window. Saying we made finals or made it to the second week of finals is something Fremantle would be happy with.
We should of made top 4 the last two years and we didn’t.
There is no excuses for it when you are deep in your window.
Simmo is the coach and the buck stops with him, just as getting the credit for winning in 2018 went to him.
Can he deliver another flag the OP asks and the answer is yes he can, but some changes need to be made. I hope he can make the adjustments in how he gets his players to perform weekly with no days off, and his game plan.

Without reading through five pages of this thread, my view is Simpson is a great coach in terms of bringing together a group and galvanising a team, but I think he lacks in both an overall gameplan sense & also as a gameday coach. He's basically the opposite of Luke Beveridge who seems to run gameday like an NFL coach.

Overall though, Simpson has obviously been super successful and I'd continue to back him in post this year (+ this year was cooked), but i wouldn't mind us going after another experienced assistant coach for fresh eyes, but maybe not realistic with the decrease in soft cap. A dedicated tackling coach would be very handy, & it could probably be Yeo.
If we go a specific skills coach IE Tackling, then it would be wise to look at coaches from other sports like Rugby League. That game is built on tackling and you can see the blokes who grew up with it (eg. Charlie Cameron and Kieran Jack) and their ability to nail tackles. Melbourne Storm are a good example- they hired AFL coaches to teach them to kick and dominated with it (Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk were masters of putting a ball on a dime). They then hired JuJitsu coaches to teach them how to grapple and until many of their tactics were outlawed (crusher tackles, chicken wings etc) but they still had a couple of very successful seasons using those skills.

The club has failed two years in a row when we are well and truly in a premiership window. Saying we made finals or made it to the second week of finals is something Fremantle would be happy with.
We should of made top 4 the last two years and we didn’t.
There is no excuses for it when you are deep in your window.
Simmo is the coach and the buck stops with him, just as getting the credit for winning in 2018 went to him.
Can he deliver another flag the OP asks and the answer is yes he can, but some changes need to be made. I hope he can make the adjustments in how he gets his players to perform weekly with no days off, and his game plan.
The issue as I see it and its just an opinion is that the coaches are unable to adapt and tailor a specific game plan that suits the team and conditions they face. Geelong for example completely changed their gameplan and style for the Collingwood game compared to the Port game, they played a more Richmond style of flood and surge contested football. They adapted and were flexable enough to pull it off which was a master stroke in coaching and execution.
Simmo et al appear to just dig in the heals and try to execute "their brand" without adapting to the circumstances. I think this is a blind spot and there have been a few on here which have highlighted the one dimensional nature of our game plan philosophy. The game is moving quickly and you have to adapt, the top 4 teams in the years race are head and shoulders above us even though we missed on %, thats pretty clear. We have the cattle to win another with this group but the coaches need to improve to make it happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back