Opinion If Richmond win it this year....

Which team is better?

• Richmond 17-20

• Geelong 07-11

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where do you rate them against the 07-11 Geelong Cats Team?

I think credit is deserved to Richmond if they can win it this year. That would put them right up there with the Cats of that era. That Cats team had some great players across all lines.

Cats - 3 flags in 5 years. Tiges - 3 flags in 4 years....

As much as I dislike the Tiger supporters, their team will have every right to claim an equal to the Cats teams of 07-11.

Im keen to get peoples thoughts on how the two teams would go head-to-head and who would come out on top?

A few line-ups to digest:

07 Cats:
View attachment 984511

Richmond 17:
View attachment 984513

Cats 09:
View attachment 984514

19 Tiges:
View attachment 984515
Our 2009 team had 17 players that were All Australian at some point in their career, that will simply never be seen again...

We would roll this Richmond team by 5 goals+......The competition at the top quite simply isn’t as good atm as it was back then.
You'd roll them by 12-15 goals - so far better than them it's not funny.

Don't let any muppet tell you your 2007-2011 is inferior to Richmond. Along with Brisbane and Hawthorn Threepeats, Hawks 88-89 and Essendon 84-85, your era is right up there.

We both know the Eagles team of 92-94 had that Hawks team covered, given the competition ;) :westcoast::beercheers:
Unfortunately for us that Eagles team just had our measure, no qualms there....We had an awesome top 6-8 but fell away after that, whereas the Eagles had such depth.

I love the way this Richmond team plays, but Geelong won their flags against two Victorian 20-2 teams, as well as the third in a record margin and correct me if I'm wrong but our 5 year win/loss record is the best ever for that period so it's Geelong for me.

If Richmond win 4 out of 5 then that's a different story.

Joined last Friday.....Hmm, either an alternative account or simply joined the rest of the bandwagon lions supporters.

Back on topic. Even if the unlikely happens and Richmond win this year I would say it would be the best Tiger Flag of the 3 due to the obvious reasons of Covid-19. However still would pick the Cats of that era. Just need to look at those names they had. Much morehouse hold names than the Tigers (at this stage).

Given you're a Richmond supporter, I would say you have experience dealing with bandwagon supporters, hey?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given you're a Richmond supporter, I would say you have experience dealing with bandwagon supporters, hey?
Nice deflection. Fact in the matter is, you joined after they won a QF. Live with it and own the title of a bandwagoner.

Last edited:
Richmond could win the next 2 but still wouldnt beat those Geelong teams head to head, however, 4 flags from 5 years would surpass their silverware haul.
Never in all my time watching footy has a team left me not wanting to watch as i already knew the result like those Geelong teams, Richmond dont have that aura about them.

A note of worth, Geelong were playing in a 16 team competition during their era.

Footy has evolved past 2007 football, I don’t think it’s a talent debate, it’s a system debate. Would Geelongs 2007 team playing today with a more pressure based game plan be as effective? I think they would be.They had some awesome players.

I really don’t think it’s fair to compare teams from different decades. They should be compared to the teams around them at the time because they’re all on the same playing field.

Richmond could win the next 2 but still wouldnt beat those Geelong teams head to head, however, 4 flags from 5 years would surpass their silverware haul.
Never in all my time watching footy has a team left me not wanting to watch as i already knew the result like those Geelong teams, Richmond dont have that aura about them.

So you sat through last years GF? Sweet

I agree in terms of the footy tactics - after all, that's what undid us in 2008 and nearly undid us in 2009 - but I don't think the skill or physicality of the players changed.

That side was just pinch-yourself pleasure to watch as a Geelong fan. I remember watching it about halfway through 2008 and thinking that the rest of my footy-watching life was a waste, because my club would never put together a team this good again.
Unbelievable side. You could have played the 2008 GF 10 times and Geelong would have won 9 of them.

People underestimate your 2011 flag. Collingwood went 20 & 2, Geelong 19 & 3, Hawthorn 18 & 4, and WC 17 & 5. That's an unbelievable top 4. To come out on top of that was special.

We both know the Eagles team of 91-94 had that Hawks team covered, given the competition ;) :westcoast::beercheers:
As a neutral, you would think how different west coast would be if they won 1 more flag in the 1990s.

Getting 2 flags in a 3-4 year period is still good.

North fans had 2 eras. The 1974-78 era of 5 grand finals in a row and getting the 75 and 77 flag.

And the 1994-2000 period of 7 prelims and 3 grand finals and 96 and 99 flags.

Interesting how west coast would be viewed if they also won either the 1991 flag or 1996.

If it wasn't for the MCG ruling, west coast could of won 1996. So eagles winning 92, 94 and 96 could be comparable to the cats of 2007-11

ep2018 your thoughts on the early 1990s eagles side?

Had they won another flag in 1991 or 1996, would they be compareable to geelongs 2007-2011 teams?

Last edited:
Back