News Crows appoint new chairman, John Olsen AO

Is this a good appointment?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Tv news was focussing on the AFC moving close to the city under Olsens new wave. Maybe that is key to his appointment. After all he did score a Seaview apartment from the Glenelgbeach development years ago.

Until Demetriou told him to stay at the flea infested swamp at West Lakes because the SACA was on board and the AFL would drag the 2 AFL clubs away from the teat of the SANFL

He backed down real quick
And yet helped to broker the deal where the SANFL joined with the SACA to form the SMA .
The SANFL now has a perpetual revenue stream with no risk our outlay.

SANFL have no right to be in part of the SMA. The sale if Footy Park should have been their final cash in. Yet he worked them into the Adelaide Oval revenue stream.

I was a bit underwhelmed about this appointment, but hearing him talk about strengthening ties with the SANFL concerns me.

He is a shrewd bastard. Just hope he has the AFC front of mind and not the SANFL.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The sanfl died when football Park was sold and so did part of our soul. Oksens mates are the senior liberals who brokered the bullshit that saw us move from footy Park and thier property developer mates could cash in. Take note of Olsens Previous dealings with property developer . He also Made sure the nineteeners played the gf, because it was good for ratings and ticket sales.

Perfect for the job, considering what the afc is today.

He ****ed us over and now our chairman.

Ever AFC supporter appears to hate the SANFL and I don't get it. Sure they focus on looking after their clubs but so does the vAFL. The difference with the vAFL is that they prioritise Vic clubs over ours to the extreme.

Moving forward the AFL will reduce list sizes meaning more dependence on state leagues to top up. We wish every year there is a good crop of SA talent as the risks are lower than with Vic kids. All of this reinforces the benefits of a strong SANFL let alone the benefits of a league that isn't rules by the vAFL.

Yet everyone wants to heap shite on the SANFL

Lol. Give the lad(Chappy) some credit. He stayed on 4 years criminally longer than he should have in order to find a replacement that almost guarantees his legacy will never be viewed in as dim a light as his incumbent...Shrude operator is our Rob.

Ever AFC supporter appears to hate the SANFL and I don't get it. Sure they focus on looking after their clubs but so does the vAFL. The difference with the vAFL is that they prioritise Vic clubs over ours to the extreme.

Moving forward the AFL will reduce list sizes meaning more dependence on state leagues to top up. We wish every year there is a good crop of SA talent as the risks are lower than with Vic kids. All of this reinforces the benefits of a strong SANFL let alone the benefits of a league that isn't rules by the vAFL.

Yet everyone wants to heap sh*te on the SANFL
Compare our financials to WCE and thus the success the WCE have had in the past 30 years.

The key difference, the WAFL allowed the WCE to run their own club with an annual rent to play at Subiaco.

The SANFL see us as a cash cow and extract revenue wherever they can. Not to mention instilled their people to ensure the cycle continued.

We should be as big a club as WCE. The reason we are not is the SANFL.

Compare our financials to WCE and thus the success the WCE have had in the past 30 years.

The key difference, the WAFL allowed the WCE to run their own club with an annual rent to play at Subiaco.

The SANFL see us as a cash cow and extract revenue wherever they can. Not to mention instilled their people to ensure the cycle continued.

the reason we are not is we've not won 4 flags

The thing is, it's not like the SANFL didn't need the money. The WA footy commission gave Eagles a clean stadium and they still have s**t trucks of cash. SANFL gouged us and were still going broke and were nearly at the wall. Whole set up was obviously rotten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given he's got a 3 year term and they talked pretty big on finding a new base in the city, I'm guessing he's got that on his agenda as the main thing and once that's sorted he's off into the sunset.
Not disputing what you're saying, though I thought board appointments for for 2 years?

Whilst I agree that the SANFL have bled us dry, the other key differences between the Eagles financials and ours is

1) Corporate Sponsorship; name the top 10 companies in SA and compare them to the top 10 companies in WA

2) Income per ticketed member. The Eagles had an 8 year head start over The Dockers and had already won two flags. The combination of the high demand for tickets plus the greater afluence in WA (particularly in the 90s and 00s) meant they could charge their members like wounded bulls

Given he's got a 3 year term and they talked pretty big on finding a new base in the city, I'm guessing he's got that on his agenda as the main thing and once that's sorted he's off into the sunset.
when asked how long it was for he answered its a normal board appointment. board appointments are for 3 years. so he will be on the board three years, doesnt mean he has to be chair all that time.

Anyone listen to Blighty after the 5aa drugs-are-bad variety show?

in regards to Olsen, he said something like he was pleased that Olsen made a point that the point of the club is to win premierships. Made a vast difference from the previous chair who saw the role of the club to generate income - which was something that somebody who is no longer involved with the club told Blighty was the dominant focus of Chapman.

If Olsen can deliver:
- a city base that appeals to members and players/staff alike
- rebadged logo
- support increased investment in the football department
- improved media relations with the club no longer being the butt of all jokes and every molehill being reported as a mountain

then he'll have done as much as we can hope for. Its then up to the coaches and players to deliver.

Anyone listen to Blighty after the 5aa drugs-are-bad variety show?

in regards to Olsen, he said something like he was pleased that Olsen made a point that the point of the club is to win premierships. Made a vast difference from the previous chair who saw the role of the club to generate income - which was something that somebody who is no longer involved with the club told Blighty was the dominant focus of Chapman.

If Olsen can deliver:
- a city base that appeals to members and players/staff alike
- rebadged logo
- support increased investment in the football department
- improved media relations with the club no longer being the butt of all jokes and every molehill being reported as a mountain

then he'll have done as much as we can hope for. Its then up to the coaches and players to deliver.
WIN flags nothing else matters
i would rather win 3 spoons in a row if it meant a flag in 5 years than languish around 6-12 for another 20 years

Whilst I agree that the SANFL have bled us dry, the other key differences between the Eagles financials and ours is

1) Corporate Sponsorship; name the top 10 companies in SA and compare them to the top 10 companies in WA

2) Income per ticketed member. The Eagles had an 8 year head start over The Dockers and had already won two flags. The combination of the high demand for tickets plus the greater afluence in WA (particularly in the 90s and 00s) meant they could charge their members like wounded bulls
Spot on

Back