Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

True, but then some players perform fine in their first year, while others struggle, and picking one from the other is an art that Richmond thus far haven't demonstrated. While Carlton, for example, has been great -- Grace Egan being case in point.
Not sure it's much of an art, seems like there's a few obvious standouts every year while the rest are good but interchangeable. The output of the latter is going to be mostly determined by the environment they're drafted into. If Sophie Molan had ended up at Carlton and Grace Egan at Richmond, the current narrative around those two players would be reversed imo. One was helped by slotting into a team of readymade AFLW players, the other wasn't afforded such a luxury.
You can see the general trend in how the older players are playing too, like Jasmine Garner moving into the midfield, which would have been seen as ridiculous a few years back.
I don't think it would've been seen as ridiculous if she was in the same shape as she is now. A few years back the likes of Phillips, O'Dea and Davey were already performing well as predominantly on-ballers, and they are around the same height as Garner.
Eg; I think Melbourne are probably after Allyssa Bannon this year (speaking of six footers who could play on a wing). Bannon may take a year or two to develop to AFLW level, but when she does she'll transform that team.
With a top 3 pick in the Vic draft, Melbourne would be expecting a more immediate impact than that. They gave up the chance to draft a lot of could-be-good-in-a-few-years types just to improve their first selection, which should allow them to bring in one of the freak exceptions who could be an All-Australian or 'Norm Smith' winner in her first year.

Not sure it's much of an art, seems like there's a few obvious standouts every year while the rest are good but interchangeable. The output of the latter is going to be mostly determined by the environment they're drafted into. If Sophie Molan had ended up at Carlton and Grace Egan at Richmond, the current narrative around those two players would be reversed imo. One was helped by slotting into a team of readymade AFLW players, the other wasn't afforded such a luxury.

I don't think it would've been seen as ridiculous if she was in the same shape as she is now. A few years back the likes of Phillips, O'Dea and Davey were already performing well as predominantly on-ballers, and they are around the same height as Garner.

With a top 3 pick in the Vic draft, Melbourne would be expecting a more immediate impact than that. They gave up the chance to draft a lot of could-be-good-in-a-few-years types just to improve their first selection, which should allow them to bring in one of the freak exceptions who could be an All-Australian or 'Norm Smith' winner in her first year.

Just pointing out that 9 of 21 all australian players this year were 22 or under

In terms of the men's, Harris Andrews I think was 22 when last years was announced....pretty sure every other player is at least 25

Just pointing out that 9 of 21 all australian players this year were 22 or under
And I don't want to rain on any young player's parade too much, but, how do I put this gently... Some of those selections were warranted, while others were front of mind the other day when I talked about an overhyping of the next generation to needlessly justify the league's existence.

And I don't want to rain on any young player's parade too much, but, how do I put this gently... Some of those selections were warranted, while others were front of mind the other day when I talked about an overhyping of the next generation to needlessly justify the league's existence.

Well, I'm sure you are right that the awarding of younger players AA spots could have been over-generous. I suspect you are in a better position to make that judgement than me

Bottom line is though that the talent is still undeniably heavily skewed young compared to the men. Both the league best and fairest (19) and leading goal kicker (turned 21 during the season) are from that 22 and under list.

It could be there is a physiological basis as well but certainly there is strong evidence in favour of the conviction that the cohorts coming through that have had access to elite development resources as teenagers are raising the overall standard of the league immediately.

What this shows is AFLW is so even! Every side (expect for three out of the four expansions) have made AFLW finals and most teams have been around the mark too!

1598687282201.png

Does anyone know why the Mark Knight AFLW premiership posters only lasted one year? Why wasn't there one in 2018 and 2019?

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but perhaps the Hun's core readership didn't hold the AFLW in such high regard as to justify a poster, there was a lot of goodwill lost from media who jumped on in the lead up to the first season and jumped off around the time of "the memo".

That said, they do have some good journos who are genuinely passionate and dedicated to women's footy, so like I said, don't want to jump to conclusions.

I saw a bit of the South Australian junior all-stars game just now -- very high standard, lots of very impressive young players. It's particularly impressive considering that SA juniors were struggling a few years back, had to be united with the NT and others in the U18 championships, but they sure don't need the help now. Which leads me to think that the AFLW will want to expand in 2023 if only to bring in Port Adelaide, or else all the young talent flowing into the Crows will get crazy and the other teams will complain.

But the Swans' entry appears to have been delayed with their new headquarters deal put on hold thanks to the pandemic -- without it their AFLW team will have nowhere to play. And the AFLW schedule can't manage an uneven number of teams. So maybe in 2023 we'll see either Hawthorn or Essendon, plus Port, in a two team expansion, with the last two to enter once the Swans get their facility built.

CA has a $1.18b 6 year broadcast deal with Seven & Fox.
J. Stensholt is saying Seven & Fox are very unhappy with the much lower player quality & program etc. that CA is offering in its 2020/21 cricket schedule. Seven has commenced legal action to terminate (not modify) its CA Rights' agreement, to make it null & void- Force Majeure.

A major problem for the AFLW comp. is that cricket & tennis Rights' holders did not want to broadcast AFLW maches concurrently with Test cricket etc & the Aust. Open, forcing the AFLW into the narrow February- early April window. This often forced AFLW matches to be played during the day, in the strong heat.

I hope that Seven depart from broadcasting cricket.
This will allow all AFLW matches (broadcast on Seven) to be played in evenings- a more skilful game, & average scoring will increase. AF is, obviously, not designed to be played during strong heat- skills deteriorate considerably/sweaty hands & sweat in eyes, more fatigue from constant flooding.

I would prefer the AFLW to commence in early/mid December, & finish by the 3rd week in March. The AFLW, to maximise ratings, crowds, general MSM interest etc. MUST have clear media air from AFL matches.
No daytime games. All games to be played Thur. evening, 7.30 start, Friday 6 & 8pm., Sat. 6 & 8pm, Sun. 6 & 8pm (or 5.30 & 7.30), & Mon. 7.30 pm. Prime time, no competition with AFL, crowds, ratings & MSM coverage would explode!

The AFL must stop "tormenting" the AFLW players, expecting them to play AF well in strong heat, with direct sun overhead (which not only causes more sweating/slippery hands/suntan lotion in eyes- but eyes being blinded by the sun, which is positioned higher in summer).
And possibly more skin cancers- OHS issue.

Last edited:
CA has a $1.18b 6 year broadcast deal with Seven & Fox.
J. Stensholt is saying Seven & Fox are very unhappy with the much lower player quality & program etc. that CA is offering in its 2020/21 cricket schedule. Seven has commenced legal action to terminate (not modify) its CA Rights' agreement, to make it null & void- Force Majeure.

A major problem for the AFLW comp. is that cricket & tennis Rights' holders did not want to broadcast AFLW maches concurrently with Test cricket etc & the Aust. Open, forcing the AFLW into the narrow February- early April window. This often forced AFLW matches to be played during the day, in the strong heat.

I hope that Seven depart from broadcasting cricket.
This will allow all AFLW matches (broadcast on Seven) to be played in evenings- average scoring will increase. AF is, obviously, not designed to be played during strong heat, skills deteriorate considerably/more fatigue from constant flooding.

I would prefer the AFLW to commence in mid December, & finish by the 3rd week in March. The AFLW, to maximise ratings, crowds, general MSM interest etc. must have clear media air from the AFL.
No daytime games. All games to be played Thur. evening, 7.30 start, Friday 6 & 8pm., Sat. 6 & 8pm, Sun. 6 &pm & Mon. 7.30 pm. Prime time, no competition with AFL, crowds & ratings would explode!

The AFL must stop "tormenting" the AFLW players, expecting them to play AF well in strong heat, with direct sun overhead (which not only causes more sweating/slippery hands/suntan lotion in eyes- but eyes being blinded by the sun, which is positioned higher in summer).
And possibly more skin cancers- OSH issue.
Your been a hypocrite here. You say that they play too much games in the sun and heat yet you want the season to start earlier...

Also, the cricket deal has zero impact on AFLW. Most tests are done by early January and the BBL is done by early Feb

The Herald Sun might've thought to ask why they attract such a moronic core reader in the first place. Instead, they disable the comments section on AFLW articles while acting shocked about the hate directed at the league, as if the rag doesn't help generate it. You only need to look at the disgracefully inflammatory reporting of last year's CBA negotiations, primarily based around exploiting Dial-a-quote Darcy and pretending her views represent more than 2% of the playing group, to figure out what their intentions are.

Perhaps it'd be different if Lauren Wood was allowed to write the articles she wanted to, but it's Robbo's way or the highway. The nicest thing he has said about the league is basically: "Hey, don't complain about the standard. Of course it sucks, they're women!" After that glowing endorsement, I think his next article (some ~13 months later) was a bitchfest about one of the most-skilled players in the competition, which read like Harvey Weinstein smearing an actress who rejected his advances. To the chief football writer's credit, he did end the piece by graciously conceding there are actually some good AFLW footballers, and you can bet he had to consult the Stats Leaderboard before telling us their names.

So yes, it would be fair imo to say the Hun's coverage of women's footy is poor by choice. Its South Australian sister paper spends more ink on it, and they only have one team to talk about. And there's my segue...

Even if games like the one last night at Thebarton Oval were a really good indication of future competitiveness at AFLW level, teams are already complaining about Adelaide having a state all to itself. Those complainers aren't interested in what's best for SA football, or frankly even the league. Furthermore, whenever they try to make a prediction about which rival club is going to become too strong because of this or that, they end up being proven wrong every time. Regardless, a case could be made that the talent pool will grow faster if Port get a team sooner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if games like the one last night at Thebarton Oval were a really good indication of future competitiveness at AFLW level, teams are already complaining about Adelaide having a state all to itself. Those complainers aren't interested in what's best for SA football, or frankly even the league. Furthermore, whenever they try to make a prediction about which rival club is going to become too strong because of this or that, they end up being proven wrong every time. Regardless, a case could be made that the talent pool will grow faster if Port get a team sooner.
I think a lot of credit goes to the SANFL who got on board when the AFLW started and created a SANFLW competition played in the same period. Started with 4 teams now the full 8 teams. For the Under 18 they have been exposed to senior football early. Of the initial squad chosen in preseason for the AFL Under 18 Championship 39 of the 52 played League football including 2 classy Under 16's.
By the time they are draft eligible they have played 2 or more seasons at senior football. Shout out to Krissie Steen first loss of the season for Team Hatchard.

VALE Helen Reddy. She was woman and she roared. She told us that we were too numerous to ignore. She gave the women of the world their anthem.

A great Australian international entertainer.

My 82 year old mother says they will all get breast cancer. It will take a generation or two for AFLW to be widely accepted IMO.

(Quoting an old post I know)

My grandmother's are 85 and 91 respectively and they absolutely loved coming out to see me play back when I used to play girls footy, just a few short years ago. I dunno I reckon some of the older generation have really gotten around it and wish they had similar opportunities.

Some sad news tonight, and I believe it will be reported by the GWS Giants on Wednesday. Mods - if you need to delete and re-post elsewhere, please do so.

Giants AFLW footballer Jacinda Barclay has passed, aged 29.

Cause of death not mentioned, but mental health is mentioned in her socials (For the record I've know Cinda since 2017 through the Aussie Sparks tour).

iIf you need someone to talk to, call Lifeline on 13 11 14.

Some sad news tonight, and I believe it will be reported by the GWS Giants on Wednesday. Mods - if you need to delete and re-post elsewhere, please do so.
Here’s is a couple reports

Very sad news

Cause of death not mentioned, but mental health is mentioned in her socials (For the record I've know Cinda since 2017 through the Aussie Sparks tour).
None of the news articles mention cause of death but they all mention mental health to a degree when they all include the lifeline and beyond blue numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back