Resource The NMFC History thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My mum and her 3 sisters grew up in North Melbourne in the 40s and 50s.

My Aunty and I often message with me quizzing her about those days.

I mean to interview her one of these days, cos there’s some really cool stuff to hear.

Out of context this won’t make much sense, but this text gives a sample of those times (late 40s early 50s):

‘...Suspect he might have played for Carlton, but can’t find him there either. However, Mick Grambeau, who did play for North, was the Bro-in-law of Brian’s second wife Terry. It was a small, incestuous world in them days. The great Kenny Dean, who played the back pocket and once finished a game with TWO broken ankles, used to date Lorna Driscoll who lived across the road from us, closer to Curzon St.’

Good stuff.

I mean to interview her one of these days, cos there’s some really cool stuff to hear.

Out of context this won’t make much sense, but this text gives a sample of those times (late 40s early 50s):

‘...Suspect he might have played for Carlton, but can’t find him there either. However, Mick Grambeau, who did play for North, was the Bro-in-law of Brian’s second wife Terry. It was a small, incestuous world in them days. The great Kenny Dean, who played the back pocket and once finished a game with TWO broken ankles, used to date Lorna Driscoll who lived across the road from us, closer to Curzon St.’

Good stuff.
Kenny Dean was a ripper player. No 9 if I recall. Played most of his footy in the back pocket.

Good stuff.

Interesting . I wonder who Brian was.

This old story in the Age in 1955 is a reminder that nothing is ever perfect in a football club and there's always some crisis hovering around a club. It was posted on Facebook by one of our supporters.
A good reason why we shouldn't get too crestfallen with the position of North at the moment. We will come back hard in 2021, just you wait and see. FB_IMG_1602645104120.jpg

I discovered an old article from "The Australian" on 2 March 1965. I am unable (from a skills perspective!) to reproduce it here.

For context, 1965 was the year that we played home games at Coburg Football ground. The article is written about a month before the season started!

Under the headline, "North Melbourne is not worried," the writer reports that following a recent Council by election, the Club "could be thrown off" the Coburg Football ground "at a moment's notice." It is further suggested by the reporter that North Melbourne "is in a precarious position" by taking over Coburg on a day to day lease.

Note the familiar terminology used to outline our position!

The article goes on to quote the Club Secretary at the time, Leo Schemnitz, who I recall in the role. He said that the Club was not worried. "Every Club in the league which does not control its own ground-and that means that every club but Collingwood and St. Kilda- is in the same position. We could all be thrown off at any time."

Fancy that...but only North is vulnerable!

The more things change...

Hang in there comrades. The reports of our demise are nothing new.

This old story in the Age in 1955 is a reminder that nothing is ever perfect in a football club and there's always some crisis hovering around a club. It was posted on Facebook by one of our supporters.
A good reason why we shouldn't get too crestfallen with the position of North at the moment. We will come back hard in 2021, just you wait and see.View attachment 984902

It was never stated exactly what Icke and Grambeau did to get sacked. The club covered itself by getting the two to sign a statement accepting blame. The rest of the players had censured the club and supporters tried to arrange an extraordinary meeting.

Regardless, this would be their last season at North. Icke claimed he had not been invited to train at the start of 1956 and Grambeau asked for a clearance saying "his mates have left the club". He eventually went to Ganmain NSW. Fans were most disappointed as they had supported both players when they were sacked and both were vital to the club's chance of success. Both would have been invaluable in the 1950 Grand Final but they arrived two years too late. The possible cause of the trouble, McCorkell, quit as coach at the end of the season. It would be a mostly lean time for North from then on until 1973.

Last edited:
It was never stated exactly what Icke and Grambeau did to get sacked. The club covered itself by getting the two to sign a statement accepting blame. The rest of the players had censured the club and supporters tried to arranfge an etraordinary meeting.

Regardless, this would be their last season at North. Icke claimed he had not been invited to train at the start of 1956 and Grambeau asked for a clearance saying "his mates have left the club". He eventually went to Ganmain NSW. Fans were most disappointed as they had supported both players when they were sacked and both were vital to the club's chance of success. Both would have been invaluable in the 1950 Grand Final but they arrived two years too late. The possible cause of the trouble, McCorkell, quit as coach at the end of the season. It would be a mostly lean time for North from then on until 1973.
My father told me that Icke and Grambeau were two tough hombres. Yes, the point about them not being there in 1950 is a good one, but not one that I can attest to!! Fortunately Icke's son, Steven, was a Premiership player for us in 1977 before going to Melbourne. Grambeau's son played at St Kilda and Melbourne.

We can now add the Ben Buckley quote to this list

"In two aspects North Melbourne stands second to none. One is the loyalty of its supporters. ... In the face of adversity, which might well have broken the spirit of most men, we find that from the earliest days there were always enthusiasts to fight for North Melbourne." Old Boy - The Australasian - June 15, 1940

“IF the world were consumed by a nuclear holocaust tomorrow, the North Melbourne Football Club and cockroaches would be the only two things left scurrying round the earth. - Chip Le Grand - The Australian - August 08, 2005

"At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at North we have the Shinboner spirit. North people can touch that spirit - they are the real Shinboners, they are the club," - Ron Joseph - September 22, 2007

"Our home is at Arden Street, We will always be at Arden Street and we will always be a team based in North Melbourne - Ben Buckley - October 22, 2020

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was never stated exactly what Icke and Grambeau did to get sacked. The club covered itself by getting the two to sign a statement accepting blame. The rest of the players had censured the club and supporters tried to arrange an etraordinary meeting.

Think Frank Gumbleton was from up that way, was Grambeau involved in any way in his recruitment to North is that a long bow to draw?

Think Frank Gumbleton was from up that way, was Grambeau involved in any way in his recruitment to North is that a long bow to draw?
Very good point. It had crossed my mind when this first came up but I cannot get enough info online to make a link. Frank was from Ganmain where Mick was until he returned to Sandringham in 1960. Frank was born in 1951 so would have been a young fellow when Mick was there. I cannot recall Frank ever talking about how he came to end up at North. It would be interesting to know.

Very good point. It had crossed my mind when this first came up but I cannot get enough info online to make a link. Frank was from Ganmain where Mick was until he returned to Sandringham in 1960. Frank was born in 1951 so would have been a young fellow when Mick was there. I cannot recall Frank ever talking about how he came to end up at North. It would be interesting to know.

Pretty safe to say Grambeau did not know Gumbleton. He left Ganmain after the 1957 season and went to Minyip for two years before returning to Sandringham. Ganmain might have been in North's old recruiting zone. Gumbleton was full forward when recruited and played in Ganmain's premiership side in 1969.

Pretty safe to say Grambeau did not know Gumbleton. He left Ganmain after the 1957 season and went to Minyip for two years before returning to Sandringham. Ganmain might have been in North's old recruiting zone. Gumbleton was full forward when recruited and played in Ganmain's premiership side in 1969.

Had a unique running style our Frank. Like he had " knock knees " or something.

OK. Here's one for the oldies. Early 1960's. Can anyone remember the game day doorman who stood guard outside the training rooms. Always wore a hat and long gabardine overcoat. Looked a rugged type with a bent nose who may have boxed a bit. My grandad knew him by his first name and he usually let us into the rooms. Can anyone else alive (hah) remember this bloke's name and anything else about him.

1903------FIRST PREMIERSHIP

From the time the eight teams left to form the VFL, North had become a power among the remaining teams. From 1897 to 1899, they were runners-up. Then in 1900 they slumped to sixth place having lost several players including their captain Dickie Houston, who went to Williamstown, and Joey Tankard and the Launder brothers who retired. The club recovered to regain third place in 1901 and 1902.

1903 began well for the district when North Melbourne Cricket Club won the Cricket Association pennant. Not a bad effort considering the club was on the verge of disbanding at the start of the season, but managed to survive and go through the season undefeated. It was before the District system started in 1906 and North never won the pennant again. However, at the time, Football club executives and locals hoped that the success would rub off on the football club and help it win its first pennant.

At the AGM in April, local MP and current mayor of North Melbourne George Prendergast was elected club president and the popular Alf Woodham elected secretary. As for players, it was rumored that defender Bob Boyle was going to become an umpire. He would eventually be a boundary umpire in the VFL after a couple of seasons with Carlton. But he stayed at North for 1903. Hector Milne wanted to go to South Melbourne. He also remained. But James Quilligan and former captain Steve Rolent headed off to West Melbourne.

Several new players made their debut for North during the season including Albert Armstrong (recruited from Leopold near South Melbourne), Bill Dalton (Fitzroy), Michael O’Brien, P. Bretherton (Northcote), W.McCann (a junior) and M.O’Meara, whose only three games for the club were all finals. But the two most important newcomers were Paddy Noonan and James Stewart. Noonan had VFL experience, playing for Fitzroy in their first three years in the VFL, including their 1898 premiership team, and then a couple of years at Carlton. A very skilled and clever rover, he joined his brother Danny at North, who was captain at the time. Stewart, a local junior, proved to be a very talented winger.

TO BE CONTINUED

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back