DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
Mac or windows? Getting a new laptop so keen on your thoughts
Mac, no question. In terms of running Adobe Suite, they are bulletproof. Macs are overpriced, but it's well worth it.

my former one lasted almost a decade

Wow, I was told not to expect them to last more than four years and never had one that lasted more than five.

Last edited:

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
One idea I floated that you and I discussed recently was a stickied repository of all completed portfolios, for ease of access to everyone old and new.

Something I’ll probably look at sorting in the next few months, unless you would prefer to. :)

Here's how I see this. There are two ways it could be done.

1. A simple sticky with links to portfolio threads
- Pros
Easy to set up
- Cons
Disappearing images (major issue)
Work surrounded by old comments (minor issue)
This is not much different to a basic search for portfolio threads

2. PDFs hosted on an external website
- Pros
Permanent archive
Author gets a URL they can share with friends and family, like a portfolio website for those who aren't web-savvy
- Cons
Overhead to set up an external site
Overhead creating the pdfs
Requires ongoing administration

Personally, hands down I say the PDFs is the better way. I'm wary though, because by committing to do this, I would be committing for years. It may make more sense for two people to have access and be in charge. I would be prepared to take on the overhead because I think this is a great solution. On the other hand, I don't think anyone else cares enough about this to justify the effort, and I don't want to be stuck doing it if it's unpopular. An unresolved question is whether permission would be required to take someone's work and put it there. If so, I can't see this working.

If we could find a way to get around the disappearing images, I'd tend towards option 1.

Any other pros and cons?

Here's how I see this. There are two ways it could be done.

1. A simple sticky with links to portfolio threads
- Pros
Easy to set up
- Cons
Disappearing images (major issue)
Work surrounded by old comments (minor issue)
This is not much different to a basic search for portfolio threads

2. PDFs hosted on an external website
- Pros
Permanent archive
Author gets a URL they can share with friends and family, like a portfolio website for those who aren't web-savvy
- Cons
Overhead to set up an external site
Overhead creating the pdfs
Requires ongoing administration

Personally, hands down I say the PDFs is the better way. I'm wary though, because by committing to do this, I would be committing for years. It may make more sense for two people to have access and be in charge. I would be prepared to take on the overhead because I think this is a great solution. On the other hand, I don't think anyone else cares enough about this to justify the effort, and I don't want to be stuck doing it if it's unpopular. An unresolved question is whether permission would be required to take someone's work and put it there. If so, I can't see this working.

If we could find a way to get around the disappearing images, I'd tend towards option 1.

Any other pros and cons?

Disappearing images shouldn’t really be a problem anymore with BigFooty now hosting all images internally. Even when you link from an outside source, I believe BigFooty downloads it and hosts it themselves, creating a link through BigFooty to access the file.

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
Disappearing images shouldn’t really be a problem anymore with BigFooty now hosting all images internally. Even when you link from an outside source, I believe BigFooty downloads it and hosts it themselves, creating a link through BigFooty to access the file.

You're right, how interesting. Well, in this case, I no longer see the point of either the pdf repository or the sticky. All yours.

You're right, how interesting. Well, in this case, I no longer see the point of either the pdf repository or the sticky. All yours.

I think the stickied thread will still be a valuable resource, and is a lot more likely to be used than people figuring out they can filter using the buttons. Plus, the thread would be a locked thread with just the OP, listing completed portfolios by year, or at least that’s how I see it working.

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
Does anyone know where i can download these fonts free please?

They are not on Dafont

Dominik Krotscheck
Square Slabserif
Not all fonts are free. Some are very expensive. I've paid over $100 for a font.

One of these is only $8.

I found the other for free using a website called www.google.com

They are not on Dafont

Dominik Krotscheck
Square Slabserif

someone wants to do some BBL designs, eh?

They are not on Dafont

Dominik Krotscheck
Square Slabserif
City Bold or City Bold Bold is an identical substitute for Square Slabserif

They are not on Dafont

Dominik Krotscheck
Square Slabserif
One quick google search for "Square Slabserif", first result is a free download

Does anyone know where I could find original SANFL vector logos?
I’m assuming you’re using Windows, no idea how a Mac works for this but go to the website of the club whose logo you want, right click their logo in the top left and hit save image and you’ll get an SVG for that clubs logo. There’s no link with all the logos but that’ll work for each club (or should at least)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks, Southampton FC
I’m assuming you’re using Windows, no idea how a Mac works for this but go to the website of the club whose logo you want, right click their logo in the top left and hit save image and you’ll get an SVG for that clubs logo. There’s no link with all the logos but that’ll work for each club (or should at least)
Yeah that's the thing. I'm after the original circle ones. If anyone has them, please send me a PM. It would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
Does anyone know where I could find original SANFL vector logos?
Sekem have a few in their brochures.
Download the pdf and open them in Illustrator
paste this into a google search : filetype:pdf site:sekem.com.au
Central is Yale Bulldogs
Glenelg is the old Hamilton Tiger Cats CFL

May 25, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ive got the 1994 GF on DVD and I watched a bit of it last night now Ive got a couple of questions:

1. Were Optus a sponsor of West Coast in 1994? After one of their goals in the first quarter I saw a WCE fan waving around a 'yes' GOAL sign.
2. Were Carlton the last team to adopt a back sponsor? There was the Mark of the Year clips at 1/4 time and the only team out of about 6 that I saw that were without a rear sponsor were Carlton.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Ive got the 1994 GF on DVD and I watched a bit of it last night now Ive got a couple of questions:

1. Were Optus a sponsor of West Coast in 1994? After one of their goals in the first quarter I saw a WCE fan waving around a 'yes' GOAL sign.
2. Were Carlton the last team to adopt a back sponsor? There was the Mark of the Year clips at 1/4 time and the only team out of about 6 that I saw that were without a rear sponsor were Carlton.
1. Don't know whether the Optus thing was from the club or the company.
2. The AFL allowed sponsors on the back of jumpers at the beginning of the 1994 season. Adelaide and Carlton were the only two clubs who did not have them in 1994, but adopted them in 1995.

Anyone know what font this is?

4AAABA56-B797-4B05-9ABD-AC1F66317608.png

Anyone know what font this is?

View attachment 1035098

Custom font, that AFAIK was never publicly released. The above link contains comments below that provide some similar alternatives, only thing is you would need to customise the letter A using Illustrator and adjusting the shape.

NM_Mitchell

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2014
#westside
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
We put the U in CGU
What's with the different A's? seems pretty random for when they use a leaning one or a straight one across different teams, and which way it leans.

Like Milwaukee and Washington don't lean, initially i thought because there was only one a but chicago and charlotte do.

And Sacramento, the first a is straight but the second leans?

TheDoctor11

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers
So I'm trying to familiarise myself with Illustrator and I'm looking at doing a few skillshare courses/youtube tutorials etc to get up to speed. Does anyone have any recommendations for good courses out there to use?

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
So I'm trying to familiarise myself with Illustrator and I'm looking at doing a few skillshare courses/youtube tutorials etc to get up to speed. Does anyone have any recommendations for good courses out there to use?
There's a few basic ones top get you started in the Illustrator thread

Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
kdS5y5U.jpg

Does anybody know where I can go to pick up a AFL Football Fixture for this year. Usually by this stage I would have my football fixture, but this year I haven't seen one avaiable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back