Roast A reflection of where Pie fans think their club is really at. It's not positive.

Are you happy with we're the club is at?

• Yes

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • No

Votes: 104 80.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 6.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I was with you up until you sniped mental illness. 👎
It's not necessarily a snipe that is diminishing mental mental illness. Lots of psychologists believe in a strong link between overprotective/overgiving parenting creating a lack of resilience leading to mental illness. Obviously not the only contributing factor, but can't be ruled out

Disappointments come, disappointments go. If the only thing about football that brings you hope and joy is silverware, then I genuinely feel sorry for you. I'd assume you're in the minority despite your claims.

I'm not sure what to make of this statement. Everyone who follows the Pies has no doubt many joy-filled memories of wins during the home and away season and finals. We also have memories of the people we shared these unforgettable moments with, but to suggest that those who bemoan our abysmal record in grand finals are worthy of your sympathy and a bunch of miserable sooks, is ridiculous.

Every coach, player and supporter openly proclaims that we are all invested in the game in our united drive to win the premiership. Do you accuse Bobby Skilton of being a sour, joyless individual because of his constant regrets about only playing one final and never winning a flag? He repeatedly says he'd swap his three Brownlow medals for a flag. Does this regret mean he doesn't also have cherished memories of victories and friendships he experienced during his long career? Of course not. Well, supporters are no different. We all have cherished memories and a deep passion for our club. But winning the flag is the aim of the game. Would any coach get past the first interview if he said he didn't think aiming for a flag was a top priority but he could promise some fun times and lasting friendships under his leadership? Please.

Why can't those who continually attack those who express their pain and disappointment over our litany of grand final failures just accept the fact that some of us clearly feel the pain (and passion) more deeply and acknowledge the truth of our history? I still hurt every time I watch a replay of any of our grand final losses.

If it's nothing more than a minor disappointment which comes and goes, then your level of investment and emotional connection to the club and game is simply not the same as ours. That's not a good or bad thing-just a fact. I won't attack or criticize you for feeling that way; we can't control how we feel. But I would appreciate the same from you when we express the depth of our angst.

I'm not sure what to make of this statement. Everyone who follows the Pies has no doubt many joy-filled memories of wins during the home and away season and finals. We also have memories of the people we shared these unforgettable moments with, but to suggest that those who bemoan our abysmal record in grand finals are worthy of your sympathy and a bunch of miserable sooks, is ridiculous.

Every coach, player and supporter openly proclaims that we are all invested in the game in our united drive to win the premiership. Do you accuse Bobby Skilton of being a sour, joyless individual because of his constant regrets about only playing one final and never winning a flag? He repeatedly says he'd swap his three Brownlow medals for a flag. Does this regret mean he doesn't also have cherished memories of victories and friendships he experienced during his long career? Of course not. Well, supporters are no different. We all have cherished memories and a deep passion for our club. But winning the flag is the aim of the game. Would any coach get past the first interview if he said he didn't think aiming for a flag was a top priority but he could promise some fun times and lasting friendships under his leadership? Please.

Why can't those who continually attack those who express their pain and disappointment over our litany of grand final failures just accept the fact that some of us clearly feel the pain (and passion) more deeply and acknowledge the truth of our history? I still hurt every time I watch a replay of any of our grand final losses.

If it's nothing more than a minor disappointment which comes and goes, then your level of investment and emotional connection to the club and game is simply not the same as ours. That's not a good or bad thing-just a fact. I won't attack or criticize you for feeling that way; we can't control how we feel. But I would appreciate the same from you when we express the depth of our angst.

Not sure if you’ve even read my post. The “if the only thing...” part particularly salient.

Not sure if you’ve even read my post. The “if the only thing...” part particularly salient.

Of course no one views premierships as the 'only' thing worth celebrating. Is it the most important thing? Hell yeah - it's the end game and I'm more than certain the club holds this view as I'm sure you do.

There is nothing wrong with being disappointed at lack of premiership success and expressing angst about it, especially given how many opportunities the club has given itself.

However I take umbrage to the view that 'we've been in x amount of GF's more than anyone else, so if you don't like it you're not a Collingwood supporter' while ignoring our competitions better successes because 'we've been in more'.

But if you express the fact that flags are the end game and really what clubs exist for you get lambasted for it. (not you) For those who are willfully ignorant and claim all other things than flags as successes better than competitors who have more recent flag successes, I say you can't have it both ways.

Of course no one views premierships as the 'only' thing worth celebrating. Is it the most important thing? Hell yeah - it's the end game and I'm more than certain the club holds this view as I'm sure you do.

There is nothing wrong with being disappointed at lack of premiership success and expressing angst about it, especially given how many opportunities the club has given itself.

However I take umbrage to the view that 'we've been in x amount of GF's more than anyone else, so if you don't like it you're not a Collingwood supporter' while ignoring our competitions better successes because 'we've been in more'.

But if you express the fact that flags are the end game and really what clubs exist for you get lambasted for it. (not you) For those who are willfully ignorant and claim all other things than flags as successes better than competitors who have more recent flag successes, I say you can't have it both ways.

I love fishing. I love the places it’s taken me. I love the things it’s allowed me to see. But I’m not a huge fish eater and I don’t give a rats if I don’t catch a fish. It’s the journey that’s the best part of it all. The planning, the preparation, the trip to wherever it is we’re going, sharing it with people who’s company i love. If I catch fish, it’s a bonus.

Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance... unless it's the pies in a granny. Then it's spot bloody on!

As I get older I begin to understand my dad's frustration with our beloved team.

But the same issues arise every year. Why do people seem to believe things are going to be different? For over a decade now we have had long term injuries to key players or off field issues which have distracted and impacted our list. I love the revisionists who tell us we were never a chance this year when at various stages we were flag favourites. I have no doubt the inner sanctum truly believed we were a chance to go all the way after our epic win in Perth. Suddenly, after our dismal, insipid performance on Saturday night we were cooked, burnt out, never a realistic chance and only dumb, ignorant Collingwood fans could have believed we were any chance to win against Geelong, let alone win the flag.

This has been a pattern for years. I still remember Tony Shaw talking us up when we sat on top after nine rounds in his first year I think. As we dropped down the ladder with each passing week he began bagging the support base and their unrealistic expectations and over rating our list........ Same old story.

All year the players and Buckley never once shied away from our ambition to win the flag this year and they said so on the record on multiple occasions. Now it's we the fans who are deluded and ridiculous for daring to have the same expectation.

We've been "in it" up to our eyeballs for decades and have two flags to show for it. One more than the Dogs and Saints in a period of sixty years. But for the one lucky bounce we got to favour us in a grand final we would be level with the two clubs regarded by most as the most unsuccessful in our competition.

How dare we express frustration, anger or disillusionment

Sorry for interruption but one small correction: "But for one lucky bounce... we would be level with the two clubs regarded by most as the most unsuccessful in our competition"...
Sorry to be pedantic mate, but if the bounce had favoured the saints, in terms of flags that would have meant 2 to saints (66 and 10 both by less than a goal vs Collingwood) and only 1 flag to the pies since 1958.
That 2010 bounce was indeed very lucky to some, but traumatising to others... The Saints indeed have only one flag in their trophy cabinet since 1873! Therefore the odds of me (61 year old) seeing a second flag are exceedingly remote. At various times I too feel frustrated, angry and disillusioned. (After going to 600 or so matches I have never seen a second premiership). Oh well.
At least within the context of much heartbreak, you guys are generally competitive year after year...
Best wishes and peace.

I love fishing. I love the places it’s taken me. I love the things it’s allowed me to see. But I’m not a huge fish eater and I don’t give a rats if I don’t catch a fish. It’s the journey that’s the best part of it all. The planning, the preparation, the trip to wherever it is we’re going, sharing it with people who’s company i love. If I catch fish, it’s a bonus.

Very philosophical Jack, impressive!

Here's another reflection on the Pies board, certainly not positive reading. Basically speculates that our good assistants are gone and or going and the not so favoured among the posters are staying on.

I tend to agree with those posters if you look at our game development this year, on face value our two main assistants in Harvery and Sanderson are responsible for those areas that we're falling down badly in.

Does anyone have any faith in these two to turn things around in their areas of responsibility?

2020 was a bit of a write off in my opinion due to having to play most of the season from an interstate hub. Pre season I thought that we could be right amongst it as a premiership threat. By the end of the year the players were spent. Like us Melbournians who are suffering lockdown fatigue it just looked like the players had hub fatigue and had nothing left to give.

If we can keep most of the current list together (with Sidey and Howe back) and compliment that with a couple of good trade acquisitions I think we contend again next year (in what is hopefully a more normal year of footy without COVID complications). It is a make or break year for Buckley again so they will be going all out again.

We only have 2 guys in our best 22 over 30 (Pendles/Howe), we have a good mix of experienced players between 25-30 with some good young kids coming through. I reckon we have 2 more years in this window before the likes of Pendles/Sidey/Howe etc finish up.

Very philosophical Jack, impressive!
Nope. The aim of fishing with your mates isn't to catch an enormous number of fish. In most cases this is openly acknowledged by blokes who take off for a weekend of fishing.
Every team playing in a professional sporting organisation will state emphatically their goal is premierships, either in the immediate or long term future. That is all the club's are striving for. That's why they spend months scrutinizing draft prospects and working out trade deals.
The joy we get from watching our team strive to achieve this commonly shared goal is a secondary consideration.

Nope. The aim of fishing with your mates isn't to catch an enormous number of fish. In most cases this is openly acknowledged by blokes who take off for a weekend of fishing.
Every team playing in a professional sporting organisation will state emphatically their goal is premierships, either in the immediate or long term future. That is all the club's are striving for. That's why they spend months scrutinizing draft prospects and working out trade deals.
The joy we get from watching our team strive to achieve this commonly shared goal is a secondary consideration.

This is what I meant.
1602725262557.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry for interruption but one small correction: "But for one lucky bounce... we would be level with the two clubs regarded by most as the most unsuccessful in our competition"...
Sorry to be pedantic mate, but if the bounce had favoured the saints, in terms of flags that would have meant 2 to saints (66 and 10 both by less than a goal vs Collingwood) and only 1 flag to the pies since 1958.
That 2010 bounce was indeed very lucky to some, but traumatising to others... The Saints indeed have only one flag in their trophy cabinet since 1873! Therefore the odds of me (61 year old) seeing a second flag are exceedingly remote. At various times I too feel frustrated, angry and disillusioned. (After going to 600 or so matches I have never seen a second premiership). Oh well.
At least within the context of much heartbreak, you guys are generally competitive year after year...
Best wishes and peace.
To view it like that. Then how about the anthony rocca goal, the scott pendlebury high tackle and Liam ryan mark. We would have lost the one but won 3.

Mmm. This thread makes me think back a bit. It’s true though the Pies have never been able to put together any “Era” of flags.

I mean FFS we were literally called “the machine” in our premiership year because we are absolutely smashing it. How that team could not ultimately win 2 or 3 flags I don’t know.

Best wishes and peace.
Pies really should have another 5 flags in the bank, we've suffered more than any team being in a position in a GF to win, only to get beaten by the footy gods....

To Collingwood - for 2021

“If you think you are beaten, you are;

If you think you dare not, you don’t;

If you would like to win, but think you can’t,

it’s almost certain you won’t.

If you think you will lose, you have lost;

For out in this world we find;

success begins with a person’s will;

it’s all a state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are;

You have to think high to rise.

You have to be sure of yourself

before you can ever win a prize.

Life’s battles don’t always go

to the stronger or faster man;

But sooner or later the person who wins

is the one who thinks he can.”
( Walter D. Wintle )

Pies really should have another 5 flags in the bank, we've suffered more than any team being in a position in a GF to win, only to get beaten by the footy gods....

flags Collingwood could of easily won

1964, 1966,1970, 1977, 1979, 2002, 2018!!

that is 22 flags and easily the most successful Australian sporting club!!

I just think our window closed.

We were in it the last 3 years, but now we're in for some pain again.

I have started to lose faith in Buckley and the team too. I just think there's been too many strange choices in our selections. And too many players not developing or reaching their potential.

Coulda.
Woulda.
Shoulda.

What's the common denominator in 1977, 1979 and 2002?
Coulda.
Woulda. yep = on and on it goes with Cwood :(
Shoulda.

What's the common denominator in 1977, 1979 and 2002? --- something to do umpires?

1977 - should have won - 27 points up at 3/4 time in the 1st GF - that's relatively better off than 1/2 time in 1970

2002 - lost by 9 points - did Anthony Rocca's "non-goal" make any difference?? - not sure

Back