Traded Adam Saad [traded to Carlton with #48 and #78 for #8 and #87]

Who won this trade?

• Essendon

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Carlton

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Equivalent of pick 10-12 seems to be the general consensus in the media/public opinion.
Probably around the ballpark if he was contracted.....but he aint.

Why would Carlton offer pick 7 if they could split the pick and still get Saad in the ND with a late first? Your better off accepting that offer rather than burning it in the draft.

Your only in a position of power if the player is contracted....surely the Daniher situation from last year would have taught you that. Dodo held all the cards in that deal. Same with Swans and the Papley trade.

Probably around the ballpark if he was contracted.....but he aint.

Why would Carlton offer pick 7 if they could split the pick and still get Saad in the ND with a late first? Your better off accepting that offer rather than burning it in the draft.

Your only in a position of power if the player is contracted....surely the Daniher situation from last year would have taught you that. Dodo held all the cards in that deal. Same with Swans and the Papley trade.

Good response this one 👍. For what it’s worth, if he was a state league player and I had pick 10 in the draft I would select him.

In regard to the down grade option it’s not a bad idea. It’s the difference between Carlton winning the deal and Essendon really imo.

I would counter a few ideas though. I think the power is slightly carltons way as he’s uncontracted but a good offer is still required. If Carlton can’t find a downgraded pick would you offer pick 7 or a future first?

Re: the senario that Carlton could downgrade and were willing to do so.

I’m yet to hear too many neutral supporters think these downgrade trades are good for them. Seems mostly Carlton supporters assuming it’s a lock to happen. So basically I order for this to have leverage you need to find a suitor and be confident essendon will accept or that Saad will go to the national draft to help you leverage Essendon. Imo players usually just want the deal done which is why agent often mediate.
If Dodoro is unreasonable then so be it.

If he falls through to the PSD the crows will definately enquire and would have the coin..

And if we dont get a sniff.. North will almost certainly will..

Hard to see him making it to Carlton’s pick unless he puts a massive price on his head.. but in doing that he and Carlton could throw a spanner in the works for any other plans Carlton have..
And if your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.

Oh ok. So why is Dodoro making such outrageous demands?

They’re not demands you work backward from in a negotiation, either. They’re absolutely childish. They’re not even a starting point.

I take it you’ve never bought a house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why don’t Carlton supporters like offering a future first?

Do they not think you will improve?
With more NGA and F/S kids next year, a likely top 8 finish and those freebies for other clubs on draft night could see an 8th finish (pick 10) end up about 14 with all things said and done next year.

With more NGA and F/S kids next year, a likely top 8 finish and those freebies for other clubs on draft night could see an 8th finish (pick 10) end up about 14 with all things said and done next year.

Agree but maybe something coming back.

Blues 2021 first round for Saad and a 2021 third round.

Probably needed for options on future trade targets, it wouldn't be about what pick it actually is.

Sorry you may have said it before but what similar historic trade are you basing Adams worth on?

why do carlton fans think they are getting the cats pick? or trying to? 16 other clubs will try. and really what do the cats gain? pick 7 (10) isn't in the zone for star that wont be later in the teens ...

Probably needed for options on future trade targets, it wouldn't be about what pick it actually is.

Sorry you may have said it before but what similar historic trade are you basing Adams worth on?
Cameron For pick 12
McLean pick 12
B Hill pick 10 plus Acres and swap of picks.
Carlisle Plus pick 14 for pick 5 and 24
Redden pick 17
Ryder pick 17 and 37 discount because of the drug scandal
Wellingham pick 17
M Clark pick 12
Lovett pick 16
Johnstone pick 14

Pick 7 is too high for sure.

Blues will need to give up a pick around 10-14.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saad is the one who hurts most. Consistently amongst our best players at b&f night, in the prime of his career.

Fantasia? Hardly played. Daniher? Hardly played.

I’m ok with who is departing the club

Although this thread is a dumpster fire, it is curious how quickly this whole thing between Essendon and Saad broke down.
  • Happy to offer him a big 5 year deal, Saad decides to move to Carlton for a comparable deal.
  • Essendon then leak a hatchet job on the departing player.
  • Saad via management states he will not talk to any other club, not do a medical and will go in the draft if he has to.
All before trade week has even begun :think:

why do carlton fans think they are getting the cats pick? or trying to? 16 other clubs will try. and really what do the cats gain? pick 7 (10) isn't in the zone for star that wont be later in the teens ...

I have been mystified about this one too, it seems assumed that we want to split two later picks into 7. But we already have 10 or 11 IIRC, and in a draft where exposed form is minimal I would have though more first round picks would be better than less - particularly as it looks like we are bringing in some older players and therefore delisting some younger players.

FWIW I have heard that we are not interested in trading the picks.

Cameron For pick 12
McLean pick 12
Redden pick 17
Wellingham pick 17
M Clark pick 12
Lovett pick 16
Johnstone pick 14

I'm not sure how comparative many of those trades are.

Even using those wouldn't the range skew towards 15-20?

Essendon won’t be getting 7 as Carlton could just use 7 in the draft for Saad and not give essendon the advantage on another kid in the top 10. Why would we help improve our arch enemy when we don’t have to. 27 and some change is about as good as it gets. 7 won’t happen unless essendon can send back an early second.

I have been mystified about this one too, it seems assumed that we want to split two later picks into 7. But we already have 10 or 11 IIRC, and in a draft where exposed form is minimal I would have though more first round picks would be better than less - particularly as it looks like we are bringing in some older players and therefore delisting some younger players.

Your problem is you won’t have the list spots to bring in too many kids. If the rumours are true and 3 FAs are coming in, and list are going to 38. You will need to offload like 11 players (3 additional free agents arrive and 3 ND players have to be taken). If that’s the case you’ll need to move picks out for earlier ones.

Cameron For pick 12
McLean pick 12
Redden pick 17
Wellingham pick 17
M Clark pick 12
Lovett pick 16
Johnstone pick 14

Saad is uncontracted. Some of the players listed above were contracted.

Also l think some of these trades are a bit old. I’m not sure how relevant they are in today’s landscape.

Would be interesting to see the trades for uncontracted players(who are not free agents) in the last few years.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The acquisition of Geelong's picks was earlier used by Carlton supporters in this thread as only an example of how clubs could get 2 picks for 1.

It was never suggested that the deal is real or close to.:thumbsu:

It doesn’t matter if Geelong doesn’t want to split picks. We just need more value from pick 7 than just Saad which is the point.

We could:
-Swap for Geelongs 15 & 16
-Swap for Brisbane 18 & 19
-Swap for Freos 11 & 28 then split 11 somehow
-Get a draft pick back from Essendon in the Saad trade
-Wait for trade week where picks will be flying around for an appropriate split

The point is that we have options. We are not going to do what Tim Watson said and hand over Pick 7 straight up because “Saad is worth a first round pick and that’s the pick Carlton have”.

Worse case scenario if Dodo doesn’t accept a late first rounder or pick in the teens we take Saad in the National draft at the same pick. North or Essendon wouldn’t waste a top 15 pick on a player who doesn’t want to be there when they are supposed to be rebuilding. Good luck selling that to the fans. They also slagged off Saad enough that he would be willing to go into the draft. Dodo has no power here.

Your problem is you won’t have the list spots to bring in too many kids. If the rumours are true and 3 FAs are coming in, and list are going to 38. You will need to offload like 11 players (3 additional free agents arrive and 3 ND players have to be taken). If that’s the case you’ll need to move picks out for earlier ones.

Without putting too much thought into it I could see about eight to be delisted (some traded if rumours are true) and there are a few players there that I am not familiar with since no VFL this year. But depends how we rate the bottom part of the list, I guess. I can see the logic in your argument.

Essendon won’t be getting 7 as Carlton could just use 7 in the draft for Saad and not give essendon the advantage on another kid in the top 10. Why would we help improve our arch enemy when we don’t have to. 27 and some change is about as good as it gets. 7 won’t happen unless essendon can send back an early second.
Why would a first year list manager risk their reputation by refusing to trade a pick that they'll use on him anyway? Clubs are professional, not one-eyed bigfooty posting fans.

Pick 7 for Saad and an early second is fair. Or Carlton split pick 7 into two mid-late firsts and give one to Essendon. That's fair as well.

7 on its own is overs and a second rounder is unders.

Last edited:
Back