Opinion If Richmond win it this year....

Which team is better?

• Richmond 17-20

• Geelong 07-11

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game is very different and obviously much more defensive, the Geelong team of 07-11 didn’t have to contend with the defensive structures and systems that are in place now. I think that’s why comparing different eras is difficult, it’s a different game now just as back then it was different to the 90’s and so on.

That Geelong team was beating the Ross Lyon coached St Kilda and Roos Sydney teams which were the start of the ultra-defensive period. It just wasn't in ascendency because Geelong were so good offensively.

It was also pre-Gold Coast and GWS.

Can't really compare - every year coaching gets better, teams get better and the general standard goes up, Richmond would thrash the cats if they were transported back to 2007. But by the same token, Richmond hasn't had to defeat teams of the calibre of St Kilda in 2009 and Collingwood 2011, both of whom had a 22-2 record going into the GF.

2008 to 2012 was a particularly strong era. Geelong, St Kilda, Collingwood, Hawthorn and at times Sydney were great teams.

I don't think this is a weak era, more just a normal era. If you look at 2013 - 2016 there was not that much depth at the top either.
People also forget the Bulldogs side in 08,09,10.

They were an attacking side that was always good footy and was always good for a 15 win season.

LOL! your 'great' team never even went back to back, chill with the hyperbole
3 cups is 3 cups mate, & once you get to that you have earned the title as an all time great team....I don’t think that can be in question, but your team has had a great 3 ( going on 4 ) years, but it hasn’t been against the level of competition that we faced back then....I include my own team in that btw if we’re lucky enough to win this year.

You realise they had to go up against the St Kilda superteam, Collingwood, West Coast, Hawthorn, Dogs in the H&A and finals yeah? All those teams were better than the current 8 this year easily.

It remains to be seen if you actually win it this year.

You have to be kidding that you think the Saints or the Dogs are better than our current tilt. The dogs had absolutely nothing and a midget forward line. We are right up there if we win this year and we will have achieved the same result in less time. Martin is better than any player in any of those team in big finals matches. Riewoldt, Cotchin, Edwards, Rance, Grimes, and Lynch are pretty special as well as with Prestia. Rance at his peak could take Scarlett, Cotchin as as good as anyone in a final, and Riewoldt is one of the most underrated big game forwards of all time compared to your average joe Cameron Mooney. He has been huge in most of our finals unlike many other big name apparent greats like Jonathan Brown who did sweet F all in those flag years.

A win this year would equal Geelong I will give them that, and it will still have us behind the Hawthorn 3 peat who snuck in a flag in 2008 before their time. Hawthorn are the most dominant side of all time IMO with 18 teams to compete against and still 3-peating.

You have to be kidding that you think the Saints or the Dogs are better than our current tilt. The dogs had absolutely nothing and a midget forward line. We are right up there if we win this year and we will have achieved the same result in less time. Martin is better than any player in any of those team in big finals matches. Riewoldt, Cotchin, Edwards, Rance, Grimes, and Lynch are pretty special as well as with Prestia. Rance at his peak could take Scarlett, Cotchin as as good as anyone in a final, and Riewoldt is one of the most underrated big game forwards of all time compared to your average joe Cameron Mooney. He has been huge in most of our finals unlike many other big name apparent greats like Jonathan Brown who did sweet F all in those flag years.

A win this year would equal Geelong I will give them that, and it will still have us behind the Hawthorn 3 peat who snuck in a flag in 2008 before their time. Hawthorn are the most dominant side of all time IMO with 18 teams to compete against and still 3-peating.
You're extracting the urine surely?

First half is harsh but true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First half is harsh but true.
Not StKilda, StKilda were exceptional in 2009. As the poster you were responding to pointed out, they didn't have the equivalent of Martin in the midfield - but then again, Richmond doesn't have the equivalent of Nick Riewoldt, either. I also feel like StKilda batted slightly deeper through the middle.

If you asked whether I'd prefer to face Richmond 2018 or StKilda 2009, I genuinely don't know which I'd pick.

I'd say about 70 or 80 points difference and it's no hyperbole. One side was a football team, god knows what they are in 2020...Seriously, the Tigers wouldn't get near Geelong of that era, but it's a different game they play today.

Geelong would annihilate them, but footy changes so quickly, the rules are different and the opposition is nowhere near as good. The only constant is the poor umpiring, but it is a game that is almost impossible to officiate. Richmond is the best team of the past 5 years, but i don't think you can go back any further than that because they play a different game these days.
What are you basing this on? On paper we easily match that side. Riewoldt is better than any forward you had then before this year and Lynch is better as well. Rance was better than Scarlett. Martin is better on the big stage than anyone in your clubs history. Also Cotchin in that 2017 QF shows you in his prime what he can do with 2019 Richmond probably still giving you nightmares with how good Lynch and Prestia were. The question is are the A and B graders in our team as good and we will need to win this year to be considered. Results matter so Geelong still even though I think we would match that team.

As for competition... do people even realise how good GWS were 2016-17? Their list was a Frankenstein and Adelaide were that good in 2017. Adelaide in 2017 would have destroyed a 2007 port and probably 2008 hawks. I will admit to good competition in 2009 but Collingwood were declining in 2011 already.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

What are you basing this on? On paper we easily match that side. Riewoldt is better than any forward you had then before this year and Lynch is better as well. Rance was better than Scarlett. Martin is better on the big stage than anyone in your clubs history. Also Cotchin in that 2017 QF shows you in his prime what he can do with 2019 Richmond probably still giving you nightmares with how good Lynch and Prestia were. The question is are the A and B graders in our team as good and we will need to win this year to be considered. Results matter so Geelong still even though I think we would match that team.

As for competition... do people even realise how good GWS were 2016-17? Their list was a Frankenstein and Adelaide were that good in 2017. Adelaide in 2017 would have destroyed a 2007 port and probably 2008 hawks. I will admit to good competition in 2009 but Collingwood were declining in 2011 already.

Declining by going 20-2 in the regular season and not dropping a game to any team that doesn’t end in ‘eelong.’

What a bludger of a comment

I genuinely think people just take for granted how good Ablett was at that point.

The whole ‘martin is a better finals player than anyone in those teams’ is just a straight out slap in the face to players like Hodge and Bartel, and especially Ablett who across 12 finals averaged 30.5 disposals and a goal a game. And he does not waste the ball when he has it. People have short memories.

Geelong comfortably. Maybe besides 07, I think the competition Geelong faced was far superior to the competition Richmond has faced. It's not Richmond's fault, they can only play with what's in front of them.
But on paper, I think Geelong's team is superior and they also proved it against better teams as well.

It's a no brainer for me, Geelong it is.

Certainly not the fastest. Among the strongest, though. Players like Rooke, Chapman, Hunt, Scarlett were bulls. Perhaps not so much strength related, but Mooney, Johnson, Milburn were all regulars on the 'sailing close to the wind' scale of physical mongrel too. I think the physicality of players like Dangerfield and Selwood and Hawkins is a great asset for the current team but one thing our current outfit doesn't have, is that fear factor of 'ok if I'm going to win today I am going to get whacked doing it.' I don't advocate thuggery onfield, I dislike it intensely, but there's a bit to be said for intimidation when it comes from the right person.

I think that is the key point there, the right person or group of people can intimidate. It is easy for people to tell when the threat of physicality is real and when its provado. Probably an evolutionary trait.

Here is another question....
Essendon 2000 team v Geelong 2007 (or 2008, 2009 if you rate them more) Which team was better ?

Back