QAFL 2020

Still Me

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Think it would be a great balance for south (Southport) and North (Aspley) to be playing in this comp with Redlands coming back into the QAFL.

I am hearing Southport not over line just yet? They have accepted to play subject to outline of costs in regards flights, accommodation etc and AFL subsidies?

If costs are ridiculous they may not accept? Would think Aspley would be asking same questions.

Think everyone hanging on AFL to make decisions on list sizes and revised salary cap at AFL Level so then next tier competitions can be designed in a bit more detail.

Think AFL nervous if they need to play outside Victoria again next year ($3 M) a week costs will chew up finances.

Wear The Fox Hat

Senior List
Oct 10, 2006
In your face
AFL Club
St Kilda
Interesting news. Will be interesting to see how it falls, hopefully they have a crack. Fox Hat, how good is your source?
Really good 2010, they received the email with congratulations on Friday, but then told to keep it all under wraps until after the AFL Grand Final. Strange from the AFL, but Im sure they have their reasons.

Bunyip62

Senior List
Apr 27, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Really good 2010, they received the email with congratulations on Friday, but then told to keep it all under wraps until after the AFL Grand Final. Strange from the AFL, but Im sure they have their reasons.

Your source (or someone else high up in the club) obviously not very trustworthy if he or she has been asked to keep it under wraps and now here it is on Bigfooty.

LaggingBehind

All Australian
Aug 8, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Your source (or someone else high up in the club) obviously not very trustworthy if he or she has been asked to keep it under wraps and now here it is on Bigfooty.
What's so private about the already public knowledge that Aspley without a NEAFL comp were looking at the new Eastern Aust comp. And if they have been accepted, as I have also heard, so too should their board be doing a very thorough financial due diligence before proceeding. Not sure that any great leak.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I am hearing Southport not over line just yet? They have accepted to play subject to outline of costs in regards flights, accommodation etc and AFL subsidies?

If costs are ridiculous they may not accept? Would think Aspley would be asking same questions.

Think everyone hanging on AFL to make decisions on list sizes and revised salary cap at AFL Level so then next tier competitions can be designed in a bit more detail.

Think AFL nervous if they need to play outside Victoria again next year ($3 M) a week costs will chew up finances.

Yes, the elephant in the room!

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Yes, the elephant in the room!

I dont think Chairman Dan will be there by easter, and i very much doubt Victorians will stand being locked down again next winter for the fake pandemic. People have had a gutfull. I dont think TPTB will dare push their thumb down harder.

Still Me

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I dont think Chairman Dan will be there by easter, and i very much doubt Victorians will stand being locked down again next winter for the fake pandemic. People have had a gutfull. I dont think TPTB will dare push their thumb down harder.

Yes Natives getting restless down south, don’t blame them. So is there two divisions of VFL being proposed?
All AFL Clubs/Ressies in one and the leftover clubs Williamstown, Box Hill, Port Melbourne etc in another division with QLD and NSW Clubs?

Be interesting if it’s all on pool?

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Yes Natives getting restless down south, don’t blame them. So is there two divisions of VFL being proposed?
All AFL Clubs/Ressies in one and the leftover clubs Williamstown, Box Hill, Port Melbourne etc in another division with QLD and NSW Clubs?

Be interesting if it’s all on pool?

Its a dogs breakfast. How can they plan a comp with no guarantee there wont be one or other border closure? I asked a question (about 20 minutes ago) in the VFL forum if players are looking at relocating to different leagues before next season in case Victoria closes down again. Not sure of the response i'll get. Some may take it as negative, but realistically, Victoria is a basket case and theres no guarantee it will have footy and open border before winter may close it down again.

I mean, the QAFL went ahead, but we had a closed border. If Vic allows footy but keeps their border closed, we are back to where we started...

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Form the wiki on VFL 2021

In August 2020, it was announced that the NEAFL would amalgamate into the VFL, with all of its clubs afforded the opportunity to join the VFL, over a transitional period in 2021 and 2022.[3] This is expected to provide both the AFL clubs and the northeastern pathway clubs with a higher standard of competition, improving player development and senior pathways in the north east.[4] The Sydney reserves, Greater Western Sydney reserves, Brisbane reserves and Gold Coast reserves have all been offered licences to join the league. The NEAFL's five stand alone senior clubs were all also invited, and licence offers have been sent to three: Gold Coast based Southport, Brisbane based Aspley and Sydney based Sydney University.[5] The Canberra Demons[6] and Brisbane based Redland both declined to join the merged competition.[7] As of 13 October, licences are yet to be formally accepted.

LaggingBehind

All Australian
Aug 8, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Form the wiki on VFL 2021

In August 2020, it was announced that the NEAFL would amalgamate into the VFL, with all of its clubs afforded the opportunity to join the VFL, over a transitional period in 2021 and 2022.[3] This is expected to provide both the AFL clubs and the northeastern pathway clubs with a higher standard of competition, improving player development and senior pathways in the north east.[4] The Sydney reserves, Greater Western Sydney reserves, Brisbane reserves and Gold Coast reserves have all been offered licences to join the league. The NEAFL's five stand alone senior clubs were all also invited, and licence offers have been sent to three: Gold Coast based Southport, Brisbane based Aspley and Sydney based Sydney University.[5] The Canberra Demons[6] and Brisbane based Redland both declined to join the merged competition.[7] As of 13 October, licences are yet to be formally accepted.

How many standalone VFL clubs are there? (I.e. not AFL club backed)

This from the HS

The league sent licence offers to clubs last Friday and with them a request to hold off on making any major announcements.

The clubs must now confirm their participation in a competition that will take in clubs from Victoria, NSW and Queensland.

The AFL also confirmed that NEAFL affiliates Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney, GWS, Southport, Aspley and Sydney University had been invited to a competition that will be the largest second-tier league in the country.

Up to 20 clubs could participitate: the AFL stand-alones, VFL stand-alones, AFL-VFL aligned and former NEAFL clubs.

Salary caps have been ticked off: $100,000 for the AFL stand-alone and aligned clubs, and $200,000 for the other stand-alone clubs.

A name change remains a possibility given that three states will be represented in the league.

In its communication to clubs the AFL is referring to it as the “VFL/East Coast Competition’’.

It’s believed the competition will run for 16 rounds and kick off in mid to late-April, depending on COVID-19 restrictions.

Officials will try to limit travel to two to three trips per clubs, with teams preferably flying in and flying out on the same day.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
See Broadbeach have been fined 500 bucks for a minor breach ..in addition. the AFLQ investigation found they spent 80% of the allowed salary cap , thus no real issues and what a waste of time created by another aflq club lagging false reports of breach in salary cap ... geez ,, what a joke ,, and the club that did this ,, be proud of yourself ,, I dont think so ,, be ashamed of yourself

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
See Broadbeach have been fined 500 bucks for a minor breach ..in addition. the AFLQ investigation found they spent 80% of the allowed salary cap , thus no real issues and what a waste of time created by another aflq club lagging false reports of breach in salary cap ... geez ,, what a joke ,, and the club that did this ,, be proud of yourself ,, I dont think so ,, be ashamed of yourself

go to the Broadbeach cats facebook website to see the public statement made

LaggingBehind

All Australian
Aug 8, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
5 isnt there? port melb, willy, frankston, werribee, coburg?
Ok. Thanks. The alignments have changed over the years including Carlton and Northern Blues separating this year.
So that makes 14 AFL clubs and 3 QLD/NSW & 5 VFL. 21 teams by my count depending on whether AFL clubs go alone or JV

LaggingBehind

All Australian
Aug 8, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is the accusing club a GC rival?

Miller1971

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda

investigator must have been stevie wonder. Everyone knows they were over :D

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ok. Thanks. The alignments have changed over the years including Carlton and Northern Blues separating this year.
So that makes 14 AFL clubs and 3 QLD/NSW & 5 VFL. 21 teams by my count depending on whether AFL clubs go alone or JV

pretty sure Preston are having a crack as standalone next season. Potentially a 22 team comp. They will do some sort of conference system probably AFL reserves in one and stand alones in the other. Some cross conference games like original NEAFL.
Sharks for example would play cross conference games v suns and lions.

Alternatively conferences could be arranged in a nth and sth.

Apparently AFL are meeting Redland re QAFL entry maybe they should consult the other clubs?

noosaboy

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2011
Noosa
AFL Club
Collingwood
pretty sure Preston are having a crack as standalone next season. Potentially a 22 team comp. They will do some sort of conference system probably AFL reserves in one and stand alones in the other. Some cross conference games like original NEAFL.
Sharks for example would play cross conference games v suns and lions.

Alternatively conferences could be arranged in a nth and sth.

Apparently AFL are meeting Redland re QAFL entry maybe they should consult the other clubs?

noosaboy

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2011
Noosa
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gee pretty full on but exciting set up I reckon!Just keen on seeing where it leaves lower tiered comps although we have been told the hierarchy in charge would prefer a ten team Comp in the qafl so I suppose it’s out of us and Redlands as I currently se it!

Back